Richard Matthews, FdSc. Dip Counselling (MBACP)
The Meeting Room
3 Royal Crescent
A warm, friendly, open and caring therapist, offering confidential and supportive counselling in the Cheltenham area. I have a wealth of experience with addiction, anxiety, depression, trauma and mental health. Trained in a range of humanistic/ integrative approaches.
What to expect
An initial session where we can meet and get a feel for each other and our potential for working together. I can hear what has bought you to seek help, what you would like to get out of therapy, asses what your needs are and give you the opportunity to ask me any questions about myself and how I work, or how I see the therapeutic process.
This initial session is charged at £20 and will last approximately 50 minutes. If at this initial session we decide that we want to continue to work together we will come to an agreement about how many weekly 50 minutes sessions you require,(A range of between 6 and open-ended is usual,this agreement can be revised subject to changing needs) and choose a suitable mutually convenient time to meet each week.
As in my experience each persons therapy is unique. Being trained in a range of humanistic and integrative counselling techniques, ways of working with individual clients tend to suggest themselves from this broad base within the 1st few sessions. I am guided by fundamental principles in all my work. These include a belief that we all have our own answers to our own problems within us, yet may need help to sort through confusion, doubt and difficult emotions in order to find those answers. I believe in helping my clients to do this by creating a safe space, listening deeply without judgement to their experience, I use a range of techniques to help Clients understand themselves and access their own deep inner wisdom. These techniques include psycho-education, mindfulness and other techniques associated with different models of therapy.
Training, qualifications & experience
FDSc. in Humanistic Counselling (Bath Spa)
Diploma therapuetic Counselling (CPCAB)
Diploma Psychotheraputic Counselling (CPCAB)
- I am a Lecturer in counselling at Wiltshire College
- I Have worked with addictions and those affected by addiction at Swindon Options for Life & Recovery' (Solar).
- I have experience working with a diverse client base in Private Practice.
- As a member of B.A.C.P. my work is in accordance with their ethical framework.
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Anorexia nervosa
- Antisocial personality disorder
- Asperger's syndrome
- Attachment disorder
- Avoidant personality disorder
- Binge-eating disorder
- Bipolar disorder/Manic depression
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Borderline personality disorder
- Bulimia nervosa
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Dependent personality disorder
- Domestic violence
- Drug abuse
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Gender dysphoria
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Hearing voices
- Histrionic personality disorder
- Internet addiction
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Narcissistic personality disorder
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder
- Panic disorder
- Paranoid personality disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship issues
- Schizoid personality disorder
- Schizotypal personality disorder
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Sex addiction
- Sex problems
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Tourette's syndrome
- Work-related stress
- Young carers
Photos & videos
I charge £45.00 for a 50 minute session.
The initial assessment meeting is charged at £20.
Concessionary rates can be negotiated.
Daytime and evening appointments available.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
I am available daytime and some evenings .
Types of client