Rachel Hodges (Registered member BACP)
Located Within Birkdale Physiotherapy
42d Liverpool Road, Birkdale
Sometimes saying how you feel can be difficult with family and friends. You may feel the subject matter is just too sensitive. You may fear that others will judge you or be shocked by your thoughts and feelings.
People come to counselling for all kinds of reasons: they may have problems related to home, work, education, relationships, childhood issues or just life in general. Here are some examples of issues which may be helped by counselling:
- Depression, stress or anxiety about past, present or future
- Bereavement or loss
- Difficulties in relationships
- Self-harm/ addictions / eating disorders
- Trauma and traumatic experiences
Counselling provides you an opportunity to talk about your concerns, worries or issues in a confidential, safe and relaxing environment. This would be your time to express how you really feel. I will help you explore your situation and give you the time and space to find your own way through. The aim of counselling is to help you understand yourself better and use this understanding to gain control of your life, so you can decide what is right for you.
My counselling approach is integrative which means I use a combination of techniques tailored to your specific need, although I have a grounding is person centered theory. I incorporate ideas and strategies from other sources into my practice and over the years have gained a wide range of experience by working in private practice, the voluntary sector and within educational settings.
Working with Children and Young People
I am qualified and have extensive experience of working with children and young people in private practice; I also work directly in primary and secondary schools across the area providing counselling for children/young people, this is also extended to family therapy.
Many professionals want to work with children and young people, but lack the skills and qualifications needed to achieve an effective working relationship. There is a big difference between counselling children and counselling adults, and to work with children and young people professionals need to acquire the skills to enable them to communicate and work effectively within this field.
Sometimes children and young people (and their families) may need extra support if they are finding it difficult to deal with or understand their emotions and/or behaviour. Counselling children and young people involves helping the child to develop a positive attitude to life, recognise their strengths and express themselves.
Whilst counselling children and young people, different methods will be used to encourage them to express their difficulties, such as play and art. For example, reading stories and talking about feelings of a character in that story may help the child to discuss their own feelings, or drawing/painting/drama may help children to express themselves. These methods provide great insight into the unconscious mind of the child, the aim of counselling for both children and adults is ultimately the same; to help the individual cope better with their emotions and feelings.
Child related issues may include:
- family and step-family relationships
- emotional problems
- behavioural problems
I look forward to working with you.
Training, qualifications & experience
Training, Qualifications & Experience
I continue my personal development and training on a regular basis to ensure that my skills and knowledge are continually up to date enabling me to be committed to providing the best quality service I can.
- Degree in Humanistic Counselling
- Diploma in Person Centred Counselling
- Diploma in Relationship Counselling (including Sex Therapy)
- Certificate in Counselling Studies
- Certificate in Counselling Skills
- Diploma in NLP
- Diploma in Clinical Hypnotherapy
- Diploma in CBT
- Diploma in Counselling Children and Young People
I have also completed the following training:
- Mindfulness for use with Clients
- The Essential Toolkit for Running Groups
- Managing Self-Harm and Suicide
- New Approaches to Grief and Loss Work
- Brief Solution Focused Therapy
- Working with Suicidal Clients
- Working with issues related to Attachment
- Drug / Alcohol Dependency
- IEMT (Integrated Eye Movement Therapy)
- Alcohol Agency working with Adults
- Voluntary work with people suffering from depression/ anxiety
- I worked in the voluntary sector for over 12 years
- I have worked for a large Children’s Charity as a child/young person’s counsellor
- I have worked with Foster Carers to offer support and advice on children’s behaviour
- I work in schools with children ranging from 5 – 17
- I continue to work private practice with both children and adults, the majority of my client base (adults and children) comes from recommendations
- I deliver training on understanding behaviours and strategies to cope and support to Foster Carers of an Independent Fostering Organisation
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Anorexia nervosa
- Attachment disorder
- Binge-eating disorder
- Bipolar disorder/Manic depression
- Bulimia nervosa
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Domestic violence
- Drug abuse
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder
- Panic disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Behavioural therapy
- Cognitive and behavioural therapies
- Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT)
- Cognitive therapy
- Couples counselling
Individual clients - £35.00 for 1 hour session
Couple counselling - £45.00 for 1 hour session
Student counsellor’s personal therapy - £20.00 for 1 hour session
Hypnotherapy including Hypno-Slimming – prices available on request
I am a Registered member of the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP) and abide by their ethical framework I am working towards full BACP accreditation. I am fully insured and have a Data Barring Check.
Additional Therapies – I also offer Hypnotherapy from my Therapy rooms in Birkdale; Hypnotherapy is effective in many areas of life by working with the subconscious mind. An example of successful treatments include, fears, anxiety, exams, weight loss, general relaxation, plus many more.
My therapy rooms for counselling and hypnotherapy are based in Birkdale village. You can reach me either by car, there is parking around the village, there are many bus routes that stop in Birkdale village. The train station is 3 mins walk.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|