Leeds Wellbeing -Julia Watson MBACP, Dip Counselling, BSc (Hons)Psych
I am a fully qualified counsellor with a Professional Diploma in Person centred counselling. This type of therapy can help people of all ages with a range of personal issues. Many people prefer this type of therapy because you control the content and pace of sessions and you do not need to worry about being evaluated and judged. This non-directive style of counselling particularly helps people who are drawn to exploring their thoughts and feelings and want to gain understanding. It is particularly helpful for people wanting to overcome depression and anxiety and generally any issues that impact self-esteem. Person centred counselling can help you to reconnect with yourself and move towards being who you want to be.
All the clients I have worked with have had unique experiences, challenges, relationships and lives. Some people come to me knowing exactly what they want to change others feels confused and may not fully understand why they feel the way they do. Whatever has brought you to this point working with a professional counsellor can really help.
Together we will use the sessions at your pace to work through things, you will get the time and space you need. I am not going to make judgements about you and your life, I provide a safe and supportive environment, I will listen to what you have to say and together we can work through the things that are important.
I work both long and short term with lots of different people who have come to me for many reasons; generalised anxiety disorder, stress, depression, panic attacks, sexual abuse, self-harm, self distructive behaviours, domestic abuse, children and young people in care, carers including special guardians, kinship carers, issues for adopters, relationship issues, problems with work/life balance, trust issues, those affected by illness, feeling overwhelmed, unfullfilled, lost, sad, bereaved, family issues, affairs and betrayals, seperation and divorce amongst many more etc.
My private practice is in Menston near Ilkley, Otley, Guiseley, Burley in Wharfedale, Baildon, Shipley, easily accessible from Leeds and Bradford areas. If getting to an appointment is difficult I offer convenient alternatives such as email, instant messenger and Skype (or more secure alternative) counselling which may suit you better. For some people this is easier if they have family commitments, disabilities or they simply prefer the comfort of counselling in their own home. I offer flexible day, evening and weekend sessions and the counselling room is wheelchair accessible.
As well as private practice I have worked in a number of different organisations, I provide counselling to people affected by illness who are struggling to access support. I have recently worked in an NHS supported charity counselling survivors of sexual abuse and their families.
I also offer group and individual support for organisations. I offer help to both front line staff who need support and teams. Please get in touch with your requirements.
Training, qualifications & experience
- I am a fully qualified counsellor with a Professional Diploma in Person Centred Counselling
- I have a full clear Enhanced DBS check
- I am a member of the British Association for Counsellors and Psychotherapists (BACP) and adhere to their ethical framework.
- I am on the BACP register for Professional Counsellors and Psychotherapists.
- I work with adults, children and young people.
- I am experienced in counselling children and young people face to face in schools and telephone/online counselling helping them with issues such as confidence, anxiety, self harm, bullying, family issues, children in care and those affected by loss etc
- I have run social & support groups to help people overcome anxiety and isolation, particularly with people affected by illness.
- Supporting Special Guardians, Kinship carers and adopters
- I have provided counselling on a voluntary basis at several charities for people who otherwise could not afford counselling, these have included: children's charities, working with NHS referred adults affected by sexual abuse and their families, working with adults in socially disadvantaged areas etc where people have wanted to talk about various issues such as depression, anxiety, relationship and family problems, bereavement etc.
- Employee Assistance Programs - working with businesses to help support their front line staff
- Over 20 years working with people affected by debt issues
Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT)
Bereavement & Loss
Sexual Abuse & associated issues
Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
Transferring Skills to work with Children and Young People
Sand Tray, Puppets, Figures, Art & Play work
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Antisocial personality disorder
- Attachment disorder
- Avoidant personality disorder
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Borderline personality disorder
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Dependent personality disorder
- Domestic violence
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Gender dysphoria
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder
- Panic disorder
Other areas of counselling I deal with
I offer support and social groups for
* Confidence building
* Stress management
* For people affected by cancer.
Joining a group can be a really helpful place to connect with people who are in similar circumstances, you end up supporting yourself and other people. It is common to feel anxious about joining a group, some people can find it difficult but be reassured these are purposefully friendly and supportive sessions so you will not be the only person who feels like that and usually people settle very quickly. You can get a lot out of groups even when you are just observing and listening to others. Groups usually run for 6 weeks and are safe and confidential spaces that can help you to gain strength and hope. If you would like more information or know somebody who you think may be interested please contact me.
You can also book me for your organisation. I offer workplace group sessions covering:
* Coping with stress
* Coping with emotional issues at work - aimed at frontline staff who may be affected by client/customer contacts
* Support for people affected by redundancy
* Bespoke to address team issues
Please contact me with your requirements.
Photos & videos
Face to Face Counselling: Daytime £40 per session (50 minutes)
Telephone Skype Online Counselling £30 per session (50 minutes) Nationwide
There are a limited number of places available at a discounted rate for those on low incomes and counselling students.
The counselling room is wheelchair accessible.
Sessions are available in Menston (Close to Guiseley, Otley, Ilkley, Burley in Wharfedale and easily accessible by train from Leeds or Bradford on Wharfedale line - 10-15 minute walk from Menston Train Station and convenient for buses on A65 Bradford Road. There is free off street parking.
My practice is within 10 miles of the following areas BD1, BD10, BD11, BD12, BD13, BD14, BD15, BD16, BD17, BD18, BD19, BD2, BD20, BD21, BD22, BD23, BD3, BD4, BD5, BD6, BD7, BD8, BD9, BD97, BD98, BD99, HG2, HG3, HX2, HX3, LS1, LS11, LS12, LS13, LS16, LS17, LS18, LS19, LS2, LS20, LS21, LS22, LS27, LS28, LS29, LS3, LS4, LS5, LS6, LS7, LS8, LS9, LS98, LS99
If you want me to work with your organisation to either support individuals or your teams please get in touch with your requirements.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Day, evening and weekend appointments.
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|