Joshua Miles MBACP (Accred) Integrative Psychotherapist & Bereavement Counsellor
I am an experienced, fully qualified and MBACP Accredited Integrative Psychotherapist. I offer short term counselling and open ended psychotherapy to adults of all ages from my practice in Shoreditch, East London.
You may in the midst of a crisis, seeking resolution for a particular difficulty or feeling unhappy with your life. I am a warm, compassionate and empathic therapist with an individual approach to therapy. I can provide you with a safe and non-judgmental space where you can unpack your thoughts and feelings and consider their meanings.
I offer a free 10 minute phone consultation & am happy to answer any questions you may have
How I Work
I use an Integrative model with a focus on Psychodynamic Therapy. The Integrative Model draws on elements from different therapeutic approaches, which enables me to tailor therapy to your needs.
Psychodynamic Therapy aims to assist you in resolving your existing or historic difficulties through working with you to bring your unconscious mind and thoughts into conscious awareness. Psychodynamic theory holds the view that the mind conceals or retains feelings or memories which may be too painful or difficult for the conscious mind to process.
I aim to assist you in exploring your past experiences and relationships, and allow you to gain more clarity and insight into any difficulties you may be facing. Therapy can offer you the opportunity to unravel, experience and understand your feelings, memories and experiences more fully in order to resolve them, ultimately allowing you to live a life that is more connected, real and meaningful.
I am experienced in working with a wide range of life issues, such as -
- Relationship Difficulties
- Loss & Bereavement
- Family Difficulties
- Affairs and betrayals
Getting Started With Therapy
Beginning the process of therapy can be frightening, and I deeply value the courage it takes to make that first call. Please feel free to ring me for a free 10 minute phone consultation, and I will be happy to answer any questions you may have.
If you wished to proceed with therapy, we would arrange an initial meeting, which would give you the chance to explore your current or historic difficulties in more depth & think about what you may wish to gain from coming to therapy.
I aim to respond to any enquiries within 12 hours
Where To Find Me
My practice is located in Shoreditch and is easily accessible and served well by a wide range of transport links. Minutes' walk from Old Street underground station, it is convenient for those living and working around the City of London, Shoreditch, Hackney, Bethnal Green, Hoxton, Dalston and Brick Lane.
My practice is lift accessible, but has limited disabled access. Please contact me regarding any reasonable adjustment(s) you may require.
Training, qualifications & experience
I am a qualified practitioner and registered MBACP member - 731056
- Bachelors of Art Degree in Counselling
- BACP Accredited Foundation Degree in Counselling
- Certificate in Counselling Skills
- Bereavement Counsellor with CARIS Islington Bereavement Service - 2012 - 2015
- Psychodynamic Therapist with Highgate Counselling Centre - 2013 - 2014
- Counsellor with Highbury Counselling Centre - 2013 - 2014
I have a background as a musician for the last 15 years, and have experience working with children, young people and mature students as a Mental Health & Wellbeing Support Worker and as a Special Needs Learning Assistant.
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Domestic violence
- Drug abuse
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Hearing voices
- Internet addiction
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Panic disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
Other areas of counselling I deal with
I have a 15 years experience as a song writer, musician, producer and poet. I have a particular interest in working with people who with jobs or interests within the creative industries, and who may be experiencing difficulties around their creativity, whether experiencing difficulties expressing themselves creatively, experiencing stage fright, a lack of inspiration or a crisis of confidence within their chosen creative field.
I understand first hand the importance of creativity, and know that it has a wide ranging influence in many aspects of life. I am able to assist you in understanding your creativity and what it means for you, explore your creative processes, find ways of thinking about how you can be more creative, and help you to get past any blocks you may be experiencing.
Photos & videos
Individuals - £60
Couples - £80
Some reduced fee rates or discounts for block bookings are available for students and those on low incomes. Please ask for more information.
I charge for all cancelled & missed sessions. I will offer a replacement time the same week if one is available, however this is not always possible. If I have to cancel a session, there is no charge.
Appointments are generally attended once per week, but I am also able to off bi-weekly and monthly appointments should this be required.
- Understanding fear of intimacy - A brief exploration
- Understanding ambivalence in loss and grief
- Understanding ambivalence in relationships
- Ambivalence - a brief exploration
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) - a brief exploration
- Why the use of imagination in psychotherapy matters
- Men's mental health - Masculinity and feelings
- Why do we grieve the deaths of celebrities?
- Relationships issues – exploring difficulties and pressures
- Understanding and managing the loss of relationships
- Paradoxes in therapy - Part one of two
- Paradoxes in therapy - Part two of two
- How to get the most out of your therapy - part two of two
- How to get the most out of your therapy - part one of two
- Understanding narcissism & narcissistic personality disorder
- Understanding and coping with generalised anxiety disorder
- Understanding psychosis and psychotic episodes
- Understanding and managing self-harm
- Understanding and coping with suicidal thoughts
- Understanding and managing psychological trauma
- Understanding and managing divorce and separation
- How to set yourself realistic New Year's resolutions & goals
- The importance of being kinder to yourself
- The importance of dreams and what they can represent
- Understanding and managing postnatal depression
- The important connection between creativity and therapy
- Ten tips to help you improve your mental well-being
- Understanding attachment and adult attachment styles
- How to manage conflict in relationships
- 10 Tips to help you beat the autumn blues
- What is reality testing and why is it important?
- Understanding codependency
- Coping with the aftermath of an attempted suicide
- Understanding low self-esteem and how to improve it
- Why the therapeutic relationship matters
- What is emotional abuse and how to identify it
- What is seasonal affective disorder and how to manage it
- Phobias - A brief introduction
- Panic disorder - A brief introduction
- Family dynamics and the roles we play
- Coping with affairs and betrayals
- The importance of forgiving yourself and others
- Understanding guilt and shame
- The importance of building resilience
- Being in the moment - How to be more mindful
- Understanding and managing anger
- Is therapy self-indulgent?
- Managing and understanding loneliness
- The power of saying no - taking ownership and control
- Switching off - disconnecting from technology & social media
- Relationship issues - How to understand and manage them
- The roots of loss and grief
- Understanding and managing anxiety
- Understanding sudden and abrupt loss due to suicide
- Dissociation and dissociative states - A brief introduction
- Depression - Seeing through the fog
- Sudden and abrupt loss - A brief exploration
- Making sense of grief - Seeing the horizon
Loss & Bereavement
I am an experienced Bereavement Counsellor and understand that grief and loss deeply impact many aspects of life. I understand the powerful and difficult feelings grief has on your entire life. If you have lost someone recently or in the past, I can assist you in working through your feelings.
Depression, loneliness and isolation can be debilitating, controlling and at some points crippling, leaving you with a lack of energy or enjoyment for life. I am experienced in working with these issues, and can work with you to explore your feelings of sadness, be with you during your times of darkness as well as share in your happiness and times of light.
When we experience Anxiety, we are not only struggling to feel in control of our emotions, feelings, worries and fears, but also trying to manage our physical sensations as well. Anxiety can be that cramping feeling we get in the pit of our stomach that can stop you in your tracks. Anxiety can occur for a wide variety of reasons. I can work with you to understand the reasons behind your Anxiety, and offer you practical ways of managing it.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Monday - 8am - 9pm -Tuesday - 8am - 11am - Thursday - 5pm - 9pm -Friday - 8am - 8pm - Saturday 9am - 1pm - Sunday - 9am - 1pm Other ad-hoc times available - Please enquire
Types of client