Fauzia Gaba - B.A.(Hons), M(BACP) Accredited
0777 946 0990
I am a registered BACP, and I offer an affordable counselling service for those in the local community. I have extensive experience of counselling Adults and Adolescents. I also offer Couples and relationship counselling. My practice is based at home and I provide a quiet, caring, confidential and non-judgemental setting that allows a person to work through their difficulties and think about things in an alternative way.
I have undergone personal therapy myself and so my experience as a therapist has been gained through my own awareness as well as from working with my clients. I am able to relate to people from a wide range of social and ethnic backgrounds. In my therapy case load I have offered counselling in a variety of areas including: anxiety, abuse, addiction, bullying, bereavement, depression, domestic violence, disability, dementia, family conflict, identity issues, low self-esteem, loss, post-natal depression, relationship issues, work related stress, self-harm, terminal illness and trauma.
Counselling - what can it offer you?
Counselling is for anybody who wants to express their feelings about a situation in their life that is causing them unhappiness. There are many reasons for coming to counselling.
- You may be feeling anxious, angry, betrayed, confused, stressed overwhelmed or apathetic about life.
- Counselling can enable you to live life more fully again.
- Talking helps you to unburden any feelings, thoughts or problems that you raise regardless of how unpleasant you feel they may be.
- You will be able to unearth past memories and events and look at how they are impacting your present interactions.
- During times of change, crisis, loss, following redundancy or a period of hopelessness, counselling can be of benefit.
- Counselling can help you make sense of your situation. You will work at your own pace and make your own links in such a way that you are able to move forward from feeling trapped. This in turn can bring relief.
What kind of therapy is on offer?
I have had training in the principles of Psychodynamic Therapy. This model of counselling places emphasis on past as well as present experiences. It looks at how a person's early childhood experiences, particularly those with the family can shape our present personality and the way we feel, think and interact in current relationships.
This approach enables you to determine how unconscious thoughts, or those feelings outside our awareness, are capable of exercising influence within our everyday interactions. The uncovering of significant feelings, memories and events enables you to understand more fully the links between the past and present, identify the origins of your problem, achieve insight, bring relief and offer a new perspective that forms the basis for healing and change.
This form of therapy is suitable for working with adults and children on an individual basis, for a couple or in groups. I integrate this approach with culture centred counselling which considers how an individual may be struggling to adapt to their environment and feeling misunderstood as a direct result of their cultural frame of reference.
How long does therapy go on for?
An initial meeting with me will help you to access/determine your counselling needs. You may require a fixed number of sessions or longer term work. The duration of the therapy is flexible as I offer both brief term and open ended sessions. For example, you can attend between 12 and 24 sessions, for 12 months, or much longer.
How to access my counselling service
Contact me by phone or e-mail, as above. Please leave a message with your name and number if I am not immediately available and I will return your call as soon as possible. I will ask you to come in for an initial meeting to decide the next course of action. This will be totally confidential. We will discuss your needs for counselling at this time and practical issues such as fees and frequency of sessions. You are under no obligation to take this matter further.
"I lost my husband last year, we had been married for 42 years. I met Fauzia Gaba and from the first meeting I felt very comfortable with her she as she is a good listener and I found I could easily open up to her. Without her help I wouldn't be where I am today".
"I was a little skeptical of the benefits of counselling at first and was pushed into going by my partner, but now I am very happy and relieved that I did. I had no idea how little I really knew my own mind and that I had been carrying around misconceptions about myself and the world, the result of mental scars inflicted at an early age. A weight I never through possible to lift has been lifted! I am eternally grateful to Fauzia Gaba in Epsom for her skill and compassion in helping me to uncover the reasons I have been unhappy in certain areas. I and my partner can now look forward to a much more positive, happy and less stressful future".
"I wanted to thank you for all the help you have given Jane this year. I have noticed a big change in her over the last few months. She has settled well into college and is slowly making friends. She seems happy in herself".
Training, qualifications & experience
- UKRCP Registered Independent Counsellor
- BACP Accredited Counsellor/Psychotherapist
- Diploma in Psychodynamic Counselling, Open University, BACP Accredited
- BA(Hons) Degree in Psychodynamic Counselling, Surrey University
- BTECH Advanced Counselling Skills & Theory Professional Dvpt Certificate
- Certificate in Counselling Concepts
- Certificate in Brief-Term therapy
- Certificate in Counselling concepts for Couples
- Level 2 NSPCC Child Protection Awareness in Education
- BA (Hons) degree in English and History, Brunel University
I have worked as a therapist at the Psychotherapy Unit in the Department of Psychiatry at Epsom General Hospital. I am currently offering therapy to cancer patients and their carers at the hospital. I have worked extensively with individuals aged between 11 and 80.
I was formerly a teacher/mentor and set up a counselling service in a secondary school offering support to students who were self harming, being bullied, experiencing bereavement, difficulty in school work and eating disorders among many other issues.
I have delivered seminars to trainee counselling students and written articles as a freelance journalist. My counselling experiences with carers and their families led me to join other professionals in meeting the Prime Minister at Number 10 in 2009. This opportunity helped me to further highlight the continuing importance of promoting better public awareness of the issues surrounding our emotional health
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Anorexia nervosa
- Antisocial personality disorder
- Attachment disorder
- Attachment disorder in children
- Avoidant personality disorder
- Behaviour problems
- Binge-eating disorder
- Bipolar disorder/Manic depression
- Borderline personality disorder
- Bulimia nervosa
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Childhood bereavement
- Childhood bullying
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Dependent personality disorder
- Depression and anxiety in children
- Domestic violence
- Drug abuse
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Gender dysphoria
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Internet addiction
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Narcissistic personality disorder
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder
- Panic disorder
- Paranoid personality disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship issues
- Schizoid personality disorder
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Separation anxiety
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Tourette's syndrome
- Work-related stress
- Young carers
Other areas of counselling I deal with
Culture, religion and spirituality are other areas that I offer counselling in. I am bi-lingual.
I am able to offer counselling to those who have relocated abroad for schooling or employment purposes and are struggling to readjust to life in the UK on their return. I have worked both in the United Kingdom and overseas.
I also offer counselling to asylum seekers and those service men and women who have been overseas and are returning to the UK often suffering with PTSD (post-traumatic stress).
My fees for weekly individual counselling are on a sliding scale ranging from £35-£45 per session. All clients have the option of attending an early morning or evening session and this is particularly useful for those individuals who are in full time employment. Agreement around what is an affordable rate for you is negotiated at our initial meeting. I offer a limited number of places for those on very low income.
For Couple therapy the rate is £60 for a full hour and a quarter.
The practice hours run from Monday through to Friday on the hour commencing at 8am up to 9pm
For those clients who have mobility issues or live at a distance the facility for weekly online counselling is available via skype.
- My practice is in Epsom Downs, close to Ashtead, Banstead, Box Hill, Cobham,Carshalton, Coulsdon, Croydon, Dorking, Ewell, Esher, Fetcham, Guildford, Kingswood, Kingston, Leatherhead, Mitchum, Morden, New Malden, Oxshott, Purley, Reigate, Redhill, Stoneleigh, Sutton, Tadworth, Walton-On-the-Hill, Worcester Park,Wimbledon and Wallington.
- I work from home and free car parking is available.
- Junctions 8 and 9 of the M25 are close by.
- Tattenham Corner and Epsom Downs train stations are within 10 minutes walking distance.
- Epsom main line station runs a frequent train service to Waterloo & Victoria.
- The 406 bus runs from local routes to Epsom and Tattenham Corner bus stop.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
|Other languages:||Urdu, Hindi,|
The practice runs from 8am - 8pm Monday to Friday including lunch hours offering as much flexibility as possible to arrange a time convenient to you.
Types of client
Supervision & training
I am a M(BACP) Accredited Counsellor/Psychotherapist trained in the Psychodynamic model.View supervision profile