The Goals of Bereavement Counselling
If you are looking to understand how bereavement counselling can help you, here is a summary of what you might expect from it:-
- To help you, the bereaved, accept the loss by helping you talk about the loss.
- To help you to identify and express feelings related to the loss, i.e. guilt, blame, shame, anger, anxiety, helplessness and sadness.
- To help you to separate emotionally from the person who died and to take into consideration your own needs.
- To provide support and time to reflect on grieving at significant times, such as birthdays and anniversaries.
- To help you understand that the grief process is very individual and to provide continuous support as necessary.
- To help you understand your method of coping and what works best for you.
- To identify coping problems you may be having, to address them and to make recommendations on any further course of action that may be necessary.
- To address ways in which you can stay healthy and keep functioning.
- To help you re-establish relationships with others who may be going through their own grief process in a different way to yours.
- To help you develop a healthy image of yourself and the world.
Find a therapist dealing with bereavement
All therapists are verified professionals.