Counselling and psychotherapy in North London. I specialise in:
- Sex and relationships
- Gender, Sexual and Relationship Diverse clients: Queer/LGBTQIA+, BDSM-identified/kinky, non-monogamous, and sex workers.
- I offer online counselling via Skype/Facetime/Zoom and phone.
- I work with many different issues, including depression and anxiety.
- I also offer relationship counselling for couples and other configurations.
Why come to therapy?
You may be experiencing depression or generalised anxiety. You might be dealing with a crisis, or reflecting on why your life is stuck in a repeating pattern with no apparent way out. Perhaps you are facing physical health issues, or you are being judged and labelled for something you have no control over. I'm coming on the journey with you - a problem shared is a problem halved.
More about my special interests:
• Sex and relationships
I've had a number of clients come and ask me if they are 'allowed' to bring sexual issues. My answer is very much yes. There may be something in your sexual life or history that is holding back your relationships and affecting your self-esteem. You might have been inspired to explore your deeper sexual self, and then suddenly realised you're travelling without a map or compass. Or you might be worried about compulsive sexual behaviours.
• Gender, Sexual and Relationship Diversity
My practice is GSRD (Gender, Sex and Relationship Diversity affirmative. GSRD includes LGBTQIA+, BDSM/kink, non-monogamy/polyamory, and sex work. A major focus of my work is to make psychotherapy accessible to people who might previously have felt pathologised, and may even shy away from coming for help in case the therapist tries to 'convert' them. The Memorandum of Understanding on Conversion Therapy (2017) was signed by many mental health organisations, but this sadly doesn't mean the practice has been eradicated.
The issues you may want to bring to therapy might have nothing directly to do with your sexuality, gender, orientation, lifestyle or anything else. Whatever you would like to bring, I can offer you a safe space to bring it.
• Addiction and recovery
I'm nearly 17 years sober. I can support you through your first steps to this fundamental life change, whether you've been doing the 12 steps or not.
• Relationship counselling (AKA couples therapy)
If two (or more) of you are trying to work something out together, I can help. I will sit with you, witness what’s going on, and help you find a way of managing things so that they seem less overwhelming. Sessions with two people are generally longer and can be more structured to give you time to say what you need to say.
How many sessions?
We can arrange a fixed number of times to meet, or you can come for as long as you're finding it useful and beneficial.
North London: I work in Kentish Town NW5, which is accessible from Camden NW1, Kings Cross St Pancras, Hampstead NW3, Highgate N6, Archway N6, Holloway N7, Islington N1 and Euston. Kentish Town tube. Overground at Gospel Oak.
Chosen Family - 10 pitfalls to be aware of when choosing one of your own https://londoncentralcounselling.com/2017/11/12/chosen-family-10-pitfalls-to-be-aware-of-when-creating-one-of-your-own
Am I kinky? And is this a problem?
Infidelity – Deception is even more exciting than sex
Are you stuck on the Sex Escalator?
Am I a Sex Addict?
So you don't enjoy penis-in-vagina sex? You're not alone http://londoncentralcounselling.com/2015/07/22/so-you-dont-enjoy-penis-in-vagina-sex-youre-not-alone
BDSM - Psychotherapy's Grey Area
Training, qualifications & experience
I am an Advanced Accredited Gender, Sexual and Relationship Diversities Therapist (Accred AAGSRDT), awarded by Pink Therapy (http://www.pinktherapy.com/).
I am currently studying for a Masters in Counselling and Psychotherapy at the University of East London. My dissertation subject is Queer Menopause, and how therapists can support their queer menopausal clients.
In 2014 I started the London Gender, Sexual and Relationship Therapy Practice (http://londonsexrelationshiptherapy.com). Eight of us offer inclusive and contemporary sex and relationships therapy, and we also offer training in GSRD-related subjects.
I write for the Lancet and Lancet Psychiatry (http://www.thelancet.com/).
I have a blog at http://londoncentralcounselling.com/blog/
- Honorary Psychotherapist at Bexley Psychotherapy service, Oxleas NHS Trust (2012-14). My main focus was on clients with a personality disorder diagnosis (particularly BPD/EUPD). I also worked with maternal and other bereavement, addiction, sexual identity, somatisation, social isolation, suicidal ideation, self harm, depression/anxiety, age issues, OCD, child abuse, and codependency.
- Counsellor at the Centre for Better Health in Hackney (2012-13). I worked with a number of client issues, including depression/anxiety, abusive relationships, child abuse, phobias, bereavement, identity, anger.
- Level 7 Diploma in Integrative Counselling from the Minster Centre in Queen’s Park, London.
- AIT (Advanced Integrative Therapy) Basics
- Mental Health First Aid (Camden Council)
- BA in English Literature from Magdalen College, Oxford.
- I am a registered member of the National Counselling Society.
- I am insured with Oxygen Insurance.
- I attend regular supervision, both because my NCS membership requires it, and because it enables me to offer the best possible service to you.
I am an author and I have also worked in the media and broadcasting. I've done a lot of work promoting sexual awareness through journalism and charity work.
I’ve been in therapy myself and I've had a wide variety of experiences. I know that any therapist you choose has to be a good fit. You have the right to take time finding the person you're going to share so much with. If you've been put off by a past counselling relationship, or somehow didn't find yourself connecting, I hope you feel you can try again.
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Domestic violence
- Drug abuse
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Gender dysphoria
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Internet addiction
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Physical abuse
- Relationship problems
- Separation and divorce
- Sex addiction
- Sex problems
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
Other areas of counselling I deal with
- The body and somatic experiencing
- Family estrangement
- Social media
North London Practice/Skype
- Before 5pm – £60
- After 5pm – £70
- Couples – £120
Individuals – 50 minutes
Couples – 90 minutes
I work weekly.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
I work in two different sides of a building: one entrance has three steps down, the other entrance has about 10 steps down.
Please contact me for further details.
Types of client