Marilyn Soghomonian BA(Hons), MBACP, DHP, MAPHP(Acc)
PROFESSIONAL, COMPASSIONATE & CONFIDENTIAL THERAPY
I'm a registered member of BACP and offer Therapeutic Counselling in Reading, Berkshire and the surrounding areas.
I specialise in Eating Disorder Counselling, Weight Management, Self-Esteem & Confidence, Anxiety & Body Image Issues. I’m also experienced in treating a variety of issues including anxiety and panic attacks, stress related issues, low self-esteem and confidence, depression, fears and phobias, grief/loss and bereavement, insomnia, and trauma.
We all experience stresses and pressures in our day to day lives, and most of the time we tend to find ways to cope and get through our difficulties on our own. However, there are times when personal crisis strikes, when troubles become too overwhelming, or fears and anxieties become unmanageable. These are times when life and emotions become too difficult to deal with on our own, but sharing worries and fears with friends and family become equally impossible. At such times talking to a professionally trained therapist can be most supportive and beneficial.
If you are feeling anxious, depressed, fearful or simply unhappy with your life, then I aim to offer you a warm, safe and non-judgmental environment for you to talk freely about your difficulties. I work closely with you offering support, empathy, understanding, and acceptance which in turn create the conditions for therapeutic change.
Together we can work on uncovering the barriers to accomplishing what you really want and how you want to be. When you become aware of how your pattern of thoughts, behaviours and emotions may be keeping you stuck in your life, you become increasingly aware of how to change them and discover the best way to move forward. Together we can explore and identify the real underlying cause of your current issues or difficulties.
MY THERAPEUTIC APPROACH
My training is integrative, which means that I work predominantly with a person-centred (working with the here and now) and psychodynamic (working with issues from the past) approaches to counselling.
However, research shows that the most important element in effective therapy is the relationship between therapist and client. Therefore, I aim to offer you a warm, safe, compassionate and non-judgemental environment which allows you to gain trust in me as your therapist and the therapeutic process.
I respect your autonomy at all times and work at your own pace. I would never give you advice or lead you where you don’t want to go. You set the agenda and my role is to facilitate the changes that you want to make.
Therapy sessions are tailored specifically for your individual needs and are conducted in a highly professional & ethical manner. You will receive the support you need to help you work through any emotional or psychological difficulties you may be experiencing.
I offer both short-term and long-term counselling.
WHAT TO EXPECT AT YOUR FIRST SESSION
It's important for you to feel safe and comfortable to work with your therapist. Therefore, I offer a free initial consultation which gives you the opportunity to get to know me, ask any questions you may have, and for me to assess how I might be able to help you.
Should you decide to continue with individual therapy we would ideally meet on a weekly basis. Sessions are 50 minutes long and Counselling ranges from £50 to £65 per session.
Your first face to face appointment will be an indepth assessment of your current issues, lifestyle, and medical history.
Once you commit to a course of individual therapy and before our work begins you will be asked to read and sign an Agreement Form which includes the terms and conditions of our therapeutic work.
Training, qualifications & experience
- CBT: Introductory Certificate – Approved by British Psychological Society – SDS Seminars Ltd (4 Days)
- Diploma Therapeutic Counselling (Integrative) – CPCAB
- Diploma in Clinical Hypnosis and Hypnotherapy – Royal Berkshire College of Clinical Hypnosis (RBCCH)
- Diploma Master Practitioner Eating Disorders & Obesity (Approved by the British Psychological Society) – National Centre for Eating Disorders (NCfED)
- Certificate in Nutritional Skills for Eating Disorders – National Centre for Eating Disorders (NCfED)
- Certificate Practitioner Skills in Obesity Management – National Centre for Eating Disorders (NCfED)
- Working Successfully with Addiction And Recovery – Pamela Gawler-Wright at Beeleaf Institute for Contemporary Psychotherapy (35 hour training)
- Working with Survivors of Sexual Violence & Abuse – Trust House Reading, Volunteer Training Programme (4 day training)
- Transforming the Effects of Trauma with EFT - Sue Beer & Emma Roberts at The EFT Centre, London
- Certificate Ericksonian Hypnosis – Think Big Education
- Master Practitioner of Neuro Linguistic Programming (NLP)
- Practitioner Diploma in the Art and Science of Neuro Linguistic Programming & Clean Language – NLP Northeast
- EFT Practitioner Certificate (Level 2) – EFT for Eating Disorders & Addictions – Masha Bennet Certified by the AAMET
- Diploma Personal & Professional Coach – The Coaching Academy (Accredited)
- BA(Hons) Degree in English and American Literature – University of Kent at Canterbury, UK
In Private Practice since 2008.
Worked as a Volunteer Counsellor at Berkshire NHS Eating Disorders Service at Erleigh Road, Reading, Berkshire, from 2014 to 2016.
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Eating disorders
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
Photos & videos
FREE INITIAL CONSULTATION (30 minutes)
Fees for Subsequent Sessions (50 minutes):
- Therapeutic Counselling/Psychotherapy £50 to £65
- Eating Disorders Counselling £65
Limited Concessions available based on individual circumstances. Please ask for details.
- Also registered with Hypnotherapy Directory
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Tuesday 9:30am to 3:00pm / Thursday 9:30am to 8:00pm / Saturday 10:00am to 2:00pm
Types of client