Couples Counselling ~ When's the right time?
28th December, 20090 Comments
This time of year brings out the best but also the worst in relationships whens the best time to seek couple counselling? It’s never too early. Often by the time of their first appointment, for many couples years of bitterness and resentment have built up and the fear of being hurt blocks out any chance of change.
As a counsellor the words I most hear from couples are "We've tried everything - counselling is our last resort." One thing's for sure: counsellors rarely hear the complaint "It's too early for our relationship!"
Check below to see if its any of the following apply to your relationship if so now is the right time to seek assistance:
• When you talk to your partner, it feels as though you're hitting a brick wall.
• Your conversations just go round and round in never-ending circles.
• After you've talked, you feel frustrated and confused.
• You can't talk for more than a few minutes without it turning into a shouting match.
• You're afraid that if you bring up a certain subject, things will get even worse.
• There's nothing left to say.
Related articles from our experts
Rav Sekhon MA MBACPOctober 18th, 2016
Chris Wallwork MBACP Adv. Dip CounsellingOctober 20th, 2016
Beverley Brough (MBACP)October 20th, 2016
Andrea Harrn Psychotherapist and Author of The Mood CardsMay 13th, 2011
Imi Lo: Psychotherapist, Art Therapist, Supervisor (MMH,UKCP,HCPC,MBPsS)March 29th, 2015
Keeley Townsend BA (Hons), Ad.Dip.CP with Distinction, MNCS (Acc)December 14th, 2009
Counselling Directory is not responsible for the articles published by members. The views expressed are those of the member who wrote the article.