Valerie Sutherland Psychotherapist/Counsellor Registered MBACP
07769 730054 / 07769 730054
Hello I am Valerie Sutherland. I am an Integrative counsellor and a registered member of the BACP (British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy), I work mainly using the Person Centred approach, incorporating Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT), Transactional Analysis (TA) and Gestalt when helpful. I use techniques such as chart work, writing exercises, artwork and plasticine modelling, stonework, visualisation, breathing and relaxation techniques along with Focusing which involves using the 5 senses. Counselling provides an opportunity for you to talk in a way which explores what is going on in your life and helps you to work towards change.
Each session lasts 55 minutes on a regular day and time per week in a safe, confidential space where you can speak about the issues which are affecting you without feeling judged. I want to develop a trusting counselling relationship which enables you to identify your needs. I offer adult and young people one-on-one face-to-face counselling and can offer skype/email/phone counselling where circumstances require it.
How can Counselling help you? - Many people go through challenging times in their lives which create all manner of emotions like sadness, stress, anger, guilt, shame, or feeling overwhelmed. Counselling can give you a talking space to explore what is really going on inside. Some people get trapped in a cycle of negative thinking and counselling can help them turn these thoughts into a more positive way of thinking and behaving. We can also explore how your past might be affecting your behaviour today if you feel able and ready to do this.
The amount of counselling sessions is dependent on the client. For some, short term work helps them to move forward quickly whilst others benefit from longer term help. I can help with a range of issues including anxiety, depression, relationship issues, self esteem, loss & bereavement, stress, post abortion and those feeling generally overwhelmed with life.
Ethics and Regulating Governing Body - I am a registered member of the BACP (British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy) which is the UK regulating governing body for safe practice. I adhere to their Ethical Framework for Good Practice in Counselling and Psychotherapy.
How I work - Our first meeting will be an opportunity for you to decide whether I am the right counsellor to help you. We will be able to discuss how I work and what your expectations of your counselling are. I will be interested in finding out a little more about you and your reasons for seeking counselling at this time. Should you decide that you wish to engage in counselling with me, we will then arrange a series of further meetings; usually an initial contract of 5 sessions is suggested with a review at the end of this period.
Training, qualifications & experience
- PgDiploma in Counselling – validated by COSCA (Counselling & Psychotherapy in Scotland) University of Aberdeen
- Member of British Association of Counselling & Psychotherapy (MBACP)
- COSCA Counselling Skills Certificate Modules 1-4 – University of Aberdeen
- AVENUE Counselling & Mediation - Member of Relationships Scotland
- Practice Counsellor Alford Medical Practice, Alford, Aberdeenshire
- Practice Counsellor GP Practice - Bellfield Road Practice, Banchory, Aberdeen-shire
- Practice Counsellor GP Practice - Southside Road Surgery, Southside Road, Inverness
- University of Aberdeen - Associate Counsellor in the University's Counselling Service
- Inverurie Wellness Centre - Counsellor in private practice
- Elgin Chiropractic Clinic - Counsellor and Homeopath.
- Inverurie Chiropractic Clinic - Counsellor and Homeopath.
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Anorexia nervosa
- Asperger's syndrome
- Attachment disorder
- Avoidant personality disorder
- Binge-eating disorder
- Bipolar disorder/Manic depression
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Borderline personality disorder
- Bulimia nervosa
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Dependent personality disorder
- Domestic violence
- Drug abuse
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Gender dysphoria
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Histrionic personality disorder
- Internet addiction
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Narcissistic personality disorder
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder
- Panic disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship issues
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Sex addiction
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
Other areas of counselling I deal with
My Specialist area is Counselling those on the Autistic Spectrum as well as supporting relatives and carers, including young carers with this.
£40 per session/£30 conscessions/unwaged
Daytime, Evening and Saturday Appointments
EAP welcome by arrangement
Current Enhanced PVG Disclosure Scotland
I receive regular monthly Supervision.
I specialize in Counselling those with Autism Spectrum Conditions.
Available in Aberdeen, Aberdeen-shire and Morayshire
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Day, Evening and Weekend Appointments available. Home visits available within Aberdeen-shire and Moray
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|