Lynn Engler, Arts Therapist - Dramatherapist (MA,PGDip,HCPC Registered)
Are you thinking about trying counselling or therapy, but the idea of talking about what's worrying you just feels too difficult? Does it feel too hard to find the right words, or any words, or even to say them out loud?
Isn't there any other way you could you tell a professional about what is troubling you and get the help you need?
Yes, there is! - If you can think of a storyline or character on TV or in a film that you can really relate to in your life at the moment, or a scene in a play or novel, or the lyrics of a song, or a poem, then Dramatherapy could be for you!
I am a fully qualified, registered & experienced Dramatherapist running a part-time term-time private practice based in Norwich city centre.
- individual Dramatherapy to adults and children/young people
- individual Dramatherapy to employees of companies with EAPs (Employee Assistance Programmes
- Sandplay Therapy (both within dramatherapy sessions or as a separate therapy)
I also provide a freelance Dramatherapy service to organisations.
- What is Dramatherapy?
It is an Arts Therapy (you may have heard of other Arts Therapies such as Art Therapy, Music Therapy or Play Therapy).
I am one of only a couple of Arts Therapists advertising a private practice in Norwich city centre. I am also the only currently practising Dramatherapist in Norfolk.
Dramatherapy uses stories and story-making/drama techniques to help you to express and explore difficult thoughts & feelings in a safe and creative space.
It also incorporates anything to do with stories or theatre, including art, music and play.
- Will I have to act?
No! (Not unless you really want to! And even then, you don't have to be "good at acting"!).
In fact, you might even find that Dramatherapy could help you stop "acting" in your everyday life, as it can help you figure out who you really are or want to be, aside from the roles you feel you have to play.
On the other hand, Dramatherapy can also help you to 'act' as in 'take action' when you are feeling particularly stuck in your life, because it will give you creative problem-solving and decision-making skills and enable you to 'rehearse' different scenarios before you put them into practice.
In fact, neuroscience has found that when we 'rehearse' something using our imaginative and visualisation skills, our brain actually creates a pathway so that when we perform that action for real it is a lot easier to do.
In this way, Dramatherapy can help and support you to lay the groundwork for making real changes in your life.
- What else can Dramatherapy do for me?
Dramatherapy can help you with:
- anxiety problems (including generalised anxiety disorder)
- relationship issues (including affairs & betrayals or separation & divorce)
- depression (including bipolar disorder/manic depression)
- anger management
- family issues
- child related issues
It can help you to:
- build up your confidence & feel good about yourself
- reconnect with, use & develop your imagination & creative skills
- find new creative ways to express your thoughts & feelings, explore difficult situations or relationships, or solve problems
- learn more about yourself and the people in your life, and how to improve your friendships and relationships
- try out different 'roles' or ways of being or thinking
- encourage you to develop your own ideas & try something new
- discover new things about characters from books/TV/films that you connect with & that you can use to help you in your own life
- process & cope with difficult feelings about things that are happening now or have happened in the past, or that you are worry about happening in the future
- support you to deal with big changes in your life or with losing people who are important to you
- help you if you struggle to know 'how to act' in certain situations or if you feel stuck or confused about who you really are or what you really want
- What should I do next if I'm interested in Dramatherapy?
Give me a call, or send me an email with your telephone number, and let me know when is a good time for a quick chat.
I will then call you back and we'll have a short conversation in which we can make arrangements for you to come and see me at my Norwich city centre practice.
After this session, if you decide you would like to continue, we can arrange a regular session time and review things regularly to see how it is working for you.
I look forward to hearing from you!
Training, qualifications & experience
- Postgraduate Diploma in Dramatherapy (2003).
- MA in Theatre Studies (2000).
Professional registrations & memberships:
- Registered with the Health & Care Professions Council (HCPC).
- Member of the British Association of Dramatherapists (BADth).
I am committed to continuous professional development and have completed training courses in the following:
- Working with Self-Harming Behaviours
- The Neuroscience of Attachment & Attachment Disorders: Key Ways of Working with Troubled Children & Teenagers
- The Body Betrayed - Using Dramatherapy with Children with Life-Limiting Conditions & Their Siblings
- The Burden of Shame & Guilt: 'Working Through' with Children, Young People & Adults
- Safeguarding Trafficked Children
- Awakening Attachment Needs in Troubled Children & Adults
- Mental Health in Young People & The Adolescent Brain
- Domestic Violence Awareness & Assessment
- Child Protection
- Protective Behaviours
- Life Story Work
- Caring for a Bereaved Child
- Working with Parents with Learning Disabilities
- Introduction to Sandplay Therapy
I have experience providing dramatherapy to individuals & groups with mental health difficulties and learning difficulties, for large organisations such as MIND and the NHS.
I also have particular experience with looked-after children & teenagers, through my dramatherapy & consultation work with a national fostering agency and the local authority.
I have provided individual dramatherapy & assessment to high school pupils on both a private basis and for the Youth Service through Off Centre Counselling Service.
I have also run dramatherapy workshops for the Youth Service and Connexions and am a trained Youth Worker.
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Anorexia nervosa
- Asperger's syndrome
- Attachment disorder
- Binge-eating disorder
- Bipolar disorder/Manic depression
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Bulimia nervosa
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Domestic violence
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder
- Panic disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship issues
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Sexual abuse
- Work related stress
Other areas of counselling I deal with
Autistic Spectrum Disorder, Learning Disabilities, Looked-After Children/Teenagers, Fostering.
Photos & videos
Individual dramatherapy sessions are £50.
(This is in line with other Arts Therapists, as we are qualified at Masters Degree level & registered with the Health & Care Professions Council - HCPC).
(Reduced rate negotiable for those on a low income. Please contact me to discuss).
(Fees for other dramatherapy services listed above on enquiry).
I also provide a freelance Dramatherapy service to organisations and can offer:
- Dramatherapy groups
- Dramatherapy workshops
- Creative team-building, problem-solving or project development workshops
- Specialised Training Workshops around Therapeutic Issues (e.g. Understanding & Recognising Secondary Trauma & The Effects of Shame & Guilt, devised & delivered to foster carers & professionals working with looked-after children & teenagers).
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
I currently have some availability in the afternoons on Monday/Thursday/Friday, as well as some Wednesday mornings. Please contact me for details.
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|