Julie Keir, MA, MBACP (Accred)
- Hello! It takes courage to consider coming for counselling. Maybe you've been thinking about it for a while? When you come and see me I realise you might be feeling nervous and will try to help you relax by offering you a decent cup of coffee or tea and a comfortable, confidential room to meet in. The first session is a chance for you to meet me and tell me about the difficulty you are facing. We will then talk together about how things might look different for you if coming for counselling was helpful. I tend to work in a practical way, helping you to find solutions and practice different ways of doing things. We will come up with a plan for the counselling and clear goals so that you will know if things are getting better.
- My practical and focused approach tends to mean that the number of sessions needed is reasonably brief, with most clients having between 3 and 6 sessions. This varies, with most clients seeing improvement after 1 or 2 sessions and others wanting to have slightly more.
- The most up to date statistics tell us that 1 in 4 people will experience anxiety or depression at some point in their lives. If this is you then you are not alone! Others come for counselling following a bereavement or traumatic life event. Sometimes, just having the space and time to talk about what has happened and make sense of things can be so helpful.
- Others will seek counselling because of family or relationship issues; maybe parenting your teenager or toddler feels like a roller coaster and you are needing to talk about how you are coping. Counselling can help by being a place to let off steam and offer an opportunity to find new strategies and solutions.
- I have specialist experience in working with young people and adults who have problems with their eating, weight or appearance. I am used to working with people with Anorexia, Bulimia, Binge Eating problems and people who consider themselves to be overweight and would like support in exploring emotional eating or how to maintain a healthy weight.
- My approach as a therapist is flexible depending on what you would like from therapy. I normally work in an integrative way which means that I incorporate different models of therapy, depending on who I am working with and what you are looking for. I am experienced in using Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, Solution-Focused Therapy and Person Centred Therapy. I am also trained in using CBT-E which has been found to be particularly helpful for people with eating problems.
- I have spent the last 5 years working in an NHS Community Eating Disorders Service and also in an NHS Commissioned Weight Management Service working with people who consider themselves to be overweight and who want to have a healthier lifestyle. Prior to this I worked in NHS GP Clinics offering counselling to people with many mental health issues, such as depression, anxiety, bereavement, losses and trauma.
Training, qualifications & experience
- Accredited Member of British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy
- Masters Degree in Integrative Counselling & Psychotherapy
- Certificate in Counselling
- Certificate in Solution Focused Therapy
- Certificate in CBT
- Certificate in Enhanced CBT for Eating Disorders
- Training in working with Self Harm
- Training in working with anxiety without using medication
- Training in couples counselling
- Training in Critical Incident Debriefing
- Certificate in Supervision (BPS Approved, University of Manchester)
- Certificate in Supervision (Manchester Institute for Psychotherapy)
- Training in Safeguarding children and adults
- Enhanced DBS Certificate
- BUPA registered therapist
- Employee Assisted Programmes
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Anorexia nervosa
- Binge-eating disorder
- Bulimia nervosa
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Eating disorders
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Panic disorder
Other areas of counselling I deal with
Obesity related issues
Photos & videos
- Counselling: £45 per 1 hour session
- Clinical Supervision: £45 for 1 hour
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
I am available for daytime and evening sessions.
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|
Supervision & training
I am a qualified supervisor, having undertaken 60 hours of training in supervision from both the University of Manchester (BPS Approved) and the Manchester Institute for Psychotherapy.View supervision profile