Julie Hogan BA (Hons) Individual & Couples Counsellor, Registered MBACP (Accred)
Liskeard Counselling Centre
I understand talking to someone about personal and painful issues may seem very daunting at first and finding the right therapist just as difficult. Having a no obligation initial assessment allows you the opportunity to seek out the right counsellor before you commit yourself to doing the work.
At the centre of my work is the relationship with an individual and I see this as the most important part of the therapy. You need to feel safe and be able to trust I will hold your information with good intent and give you a sense of security.
I am experienced in working with the individual within the therapeutic relationship. I work alongside you in order to understand how you see the world. My work is around helping you gain a sense of self, understanding and autonomy and to do the work at your own pace, but in a supported way.
I recognise the importance not only to current experiences and ways of relating, but also to how these may be linked to earlier experiences. I believe the past affects the present and sometimes these old patterns of relating may no longer be helpful. Understanding the influence of the past on current behaviour, thoughts or feelings which are causing difficulty or distress may help bring relief and open possibilities for change.
I work with a wide range of issues; depression, anxiety, panic disorders, social anxieties, stress, addictions, relationship issues, grief and bereavement including miscarriages and stillbirths, attachment disorders, dissociation, trauma, low self-esteem, confidence issues, child sexual abuse and abuse, redundancy, family issues and hearing loss. Also, working with couples and Individuals who have experienced Neonatal Intensive Care Unit. I have an awareness of forces life, Deaf and hearing loss and unemployment.
Training, qualifications & experience
- 2015. BA (Hons) Humanistic and Integrative Counselling, Validated by Middlesex University, London.
- January 2011. Advanced Diploma in Counselling Level 4. Introduction to Transactional Analysis.
- January 2010. Advanced Diploma in Counselling Level 3. Psychodynamic with CBT supporting model.
- January 2009. Advanced Certificate in Counselling.
- June 2006. Intermediate Counselling Skills. VC11-Skills Acquisition & Practice. VC12 –Working with Loss & Grief
- Jan 2006. Introduction to Counselling Concepts. VC01 & VC02
As part of my commitment to my counselling work and my clients, I continually develop my counselling knowledge and skills by regularly attending workshops and training courses. For example
- Working with Dissociative Disorders In Clinical Practice
- Dissociation and DID: The Fundamentals
- Essential Supervision Skills
- International Association for Rewind Trauma Therapy
- Understanding Anxiety and Managing it Without Drugs
- How to Break the Cycle of Depression
- Child Sexual Abuse
- Trauma, Dissociation and Recovery
- Working with Relational Trauma
- NICE: Anxiety Disorder
- Early Infant Loss and Bereavement (miscarriage and stillbirths)
- Eating Disorders
- Trauma Workshop & Working with trauma - based on principles of Somatic Experiencing
- Understanding how trauma affects the body
- Working Compassionately
- What makes a loss more complex
- A Child's Grief
- Identification & Brief Advice with alcohol users, Cornwall Drug and Alcohol Team
- Anger, Rage & Relationship (Cornwall).
- Cruse Bereavement Training
Please see my website for further details regarding my ongoing development.
British Sign Language Qualifications:
British Sign Language (BSL) Level 4
British Sign Language (BSL) Level 3 Including Deaf Culture
British Sign Language (BSL) Level 2
British Sign Language (BSL) Level 1
Level 3 Advice and Guidance
I have over 8 years counselling experience and as well as working privately, I work with three Charities.
The first as a support worker, working with people who experience mental health issues in a supportive environment. I also work with people who use British Sign Language and those who experience a range of anxieties as a counsellor.
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Anorexia nervosa
- Attachment disorder
- Binge-eating disorder
- Bipolar disorder/Manic depression
- Borderline personality disorder
- Bulimia nervosa
- Domestic violence
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Panic disorder
£35.00 Individual Counselling - session 60 minutes
£50.00 Couples Counselling - session 90 minutes
£52.50 Hypnotherapy - session 90 minutes
(concessions are discussed and agreed on an individual basis)
I am a BACP Accredited Counsellor/Psychotherapist and have a particular interest in Anxiety Disorders, Trauma and Dissociation, Depersonalisation and Derealisation, Deafness and Hearing Loss and Miscarriage and Stillbirths.
Monday 12pm to 8pm
Tuesday 8am to 8pm
Wednesday 8am to 8pm
Thursday 8am to 8pm
Friday 8am to 8pm
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
|Other languages:||British Sign Language (BSL Level 4)|
Appointments available Monday to Friday- 8am to 8pm.
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|