Bernadette Gough MSc, BSc Hons, MNCS (acc)
11 Spring Meadow
Our emotional, mental, spiritual and physical well being are constantly challenged by pressure and stress.It is not surprising that sometimes we feel in need of professional help and support. As an Emotional Therapy counsellor and a consulting Medical Herbalist, I can offer you help and support with all four aspects.
What is Emotional Therapy?
Emotional Therapy is a means of helping people who are suffering emotional turmoil in their lives, whether brought about by a crisis, a long term problem, persistent unhappiness, depression, apathy or difficulties in relating to others. Emotional therapy holds the belief that emotional well being can be identified as a sense of fulfillment, satisfaction and enjoyment simply in being you. When this is not something you can identify with, Emotional Therapy can help in the following ways.
How does Emotional Therapy help?
- You may not know what the problem is
- You may know but do not know what to do about it
- You may feel you are repeating past mistakes and/or following unhelpful patterns of behaviour
- You may want to make changes within your life but do not know how to, or what is stopping you
Emotional Therapy provides a safe, confidential, nonjudgmental place where you can,
- Talk about the difficulties you are experiencing
- Reach an understanding about where these difficulties have come from and how they have arisen
- Recognise, release and resolve unhelpful patterns of thinking
- Recognise, release and resolve painful feelings in an appropriate manner
- Begin the process of change
Emotional Therapy works in partnership with you, at a pace that feels comfortable for you.
My training in herbal medicine complements my counselling work and vice versa. Herbal Medicine works on emotional, mental, spiritual and physical levels. Therefore,although I offer counselling alone or combined with herbal medicine, you benefit from my training in both if you decide that counselling alone is what you need.
To help you decide if you need both approaches, here is one example of how it works. Because of your difficulties, you may have sleep disturbance, depression, mood swings, high blood pressure, irritable bowel etc. Herbal medicine can resolve these symptoms of stress, freeing you to address the cause of stress in counselling sessions more effectively. However, sometimes these same symptoms may be caused by a physiological imbalance. When the imbalance is corrected herbally, the symptoms are resolved and life may not seem so problematic. It really depends on the individual, which is why my approach is person centred. One thing we all have in common is that we are unique.
I am a registered member of the National Institute of Medical Herbalists. The Institute was established in 1864 and is the UK's leading professional body representing herbal medicine practitioners.The first visit to a medical herbalist can be a life changing experience, a chance to experience true healthcare as it should be practised. Further detail may be found on the institute's website whose address may be found below.
My practice includes people of all ages, as well as couples and families who between them present with many of the problems and heartaches experienced today. Some of these issues are resolved quite quickly, some need more time. Appointments include evenings and weekends as well as daytime.
Thank you for reading my profile
Training, qualifications & experience
- Foundation of Emotional Therapy Diploma (emotionaltherapy.co.uk)
- Accredited member of the National Counselling Society (www.nationalcounsellingsociety.org).
- Herbal Medicine, BSc. (Hons).
- Member of the National Institute of Medical Herbalists (www.nimh.org.uk).
- MSc., Cert Ed.
- Ongoing continuous professional development in both emotional therapy and herbal medicine in accordance with the requirements of both professional organisations.
- Police Enhanced Discloser for children and vulnerable adults.
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Anorexia nervosa
- Asperger's syndrome
- Binge-eating disorder
- Bulimia nervosa
- Child related issues
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Domestic violence
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Initial Consultation £30
- Return visit £20
- Couples and family return visit £40
- Herbal medicine prescription £8 per week
Please call me on 01905 612173 or email
Sessions usually last an hour.
No charge is made for initial consultation if you decide not to proceed.
If you require further information feel free to contact me without obligation.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Types of client