Dr Kimberley Carter Psychotherapist (UKCP Registered)
0208 948 6145
I have many years experience of working with people who want to make sense of difficult feelings or behaviours. Being in therapy is definitely a good way to explore where problems originated, and to look at how they affect you in the here and now.. Understanding why you feel or behave a certain way, can make a huge difference.
I have 20 years experience working as a psychodynamic counsellor, and finished a lengthy training as a psychoanalytic psychotherapist over 10 years ago. In addition to the academic learning, I sent many years in personal analysis myself, which led to a deep understanding of both myself and issues clients bring to therapy.
Depending on the needs of each individual, I offer both short term and long term work with clients, and see clients on a weekly basis. Short term work usually means weekly sessions, and is usually for a limited period of time. Long term work is open ended - meaning that no end date is set. Frequency of sessions is totally dependant on the individual and their presenting problems, and is often negotiated as the work progresses. Recognition of the client's needs is an ongoing process because everyone is different and therefore they will have different needs.
I also work with some clients via Skype, as they live in a different location or country, and would be happy to discuss this option.
If you would like further information about how I work or about my availability, then please email me or telephone me.
Training, qualifications & experience
- Advanced Certificate in Psychodynamic Counselling (NESCOT)
- Certificate in Stress Management
- Certificate in Time-Limited Psychodynamic Counselling (WPF)
- Postgraduate Diploma in Psychodynamic Counselling (Goldsmiths)
- Postgraduate Diploma in Psychotherapy Studies (University of Kent)
- Master of Clinical Science in Psychotherapy Studies (University of Kent)
- Doctorate of Clinical Science (University of Kent)
- Diploma in Psychoanalytic Supervision (The Guild of Psychotherapists)
- Registered with the UK Council for Psychotherapy - Registration No. 05157121
- Member of BAPPS (The British Association For Psychoanalytic And Psychodynamic Supervision)
- Member of EAP (European Association for Psychotherapy)
In the past I have worked as a counsellor and supervisor for an Alcohol and Drug Agency, and for the NHS as a psychoanalytic psychotherapist. I am also a board member and Conference Committee Chair for BAPPS.
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Anger management
- Anorexia nervosa
- Asperger's syndrome
- Child related issues
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Domestic violence
- Eating disorders
- Gender dysphoria
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
Other areas of counselling I deal with
I have a particular interest in twin relationships, and work with twins, helping them understand their complex relationships. The work may involve finding ways of reconnecting with a twin, or accepting the loss of a twin. Twins contact me from other locations in the UK, or from abroad, so I offer sessions using skype.
Identity issues for twins
Separation difficulties for twins
Loss of a twin either through estrangement or death
Emotional aspects of a twin pregnancy
My doctorate research involved interviews with identical and non identical twins, and explored how early environmental factors affect the emotional development of the twin relationship.
I am happy to work with one twin from a pair, or both twins...
£85.00 for the initial assessment (60-70 minutes)
£70-00 per session for individuals (50 minutes)
Reduction for two or more sessions per week
£70.00 for individual supervision (50 minutes)
My working hours are Monday-Thursday 8.00 am to 8.00 pm, and Friday mornings
- Training Organisation CCOPPP (Canterbury Consortium of Psychoanalytic and Psychodynamic Psychotherapists)
- Member of UKCP (UK Council for Psychotherapy) - registration No. 05157121
- Member of BAPPS (British Association for Psychoanalytic and Psychodynamic Supervision)
- Member of EAP (The European Association for Psychotherapy)
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Monday-Thursday 8.00-7.00, and Friday mornings..
Types of client
Supervision & training
I offer weekly supervision to individuals and groups.View supervision profile