Liz Oakley "Dip.Couns" " Registered MBACP" Counsellor/Psychotherapist.
01278 760680 / 07815 606372
My name is Lizzy Oakley of Blue Amber Counselling.
I am a qualified Integrative counsellor. Integrative therapy , or integrative counselling is a combined approach to psychotherapy that brings together different elements of specific therapies.
I have been a carer in many capacities which include the care of my own daughter who contracted meningitis at the age of 13 months old. She was left with life limiting injuries and severe to profound deafness. From this I have gained a vast amount of knowledge which I feel could benefit other people alike.
My counselling training started at a school working with children and adolescents ranging from 11 to 16 years of age.
My other areas of expertise comes from working within the field of and life experience itself, and include: substance misuse and addictions, learning disabilities, domestic violence, pain and chronic fatigue, life limiting illness, and much more.
I have suffered from Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue for most of my life but was not diagnosed until 2011. From this I set up and created a support group under the name of Fibromyalgia Somerset & Invisible Me Wellbeing Support Group This group offers support and information around pain, fatigue and invisible illnesses, offering weekly meetings at a local venue in Burnham on Sea.
I have extensive knowledge around fibromyalgia, musculoskeletal and arthritic diseases as well as other pain and fatigue conditions.
- Are you newly diagnosed and don't know how to cope or where to find help ?
- Do you feel isolated, anxious and lonely ?
- Do others around you not understand you ?
- Are you struggling to get your GP or other health professional to understand how you feel or listen to you ?
- Do you grieve over the way you used to be able to do things ?
You could benefit from one to one private counselling/therapy. I offer a 6 week package which will help you be able to move forward with your life again. This can be in your own home or at an easy to get to location.
Contact me for more information.
I have a Diploma in Mindfulness and offer courses for this as well as Mindfulness Therapy. I also offer a number of other courses and this can be found on my webpage under the services I offer Section.
I am a registered member of the British Association for Counsellors and Psychotherapists (BACP) I abide by its Ethical Framework for good practice in Counselling & Psychotherapy.
I work with:
Abuse, Anxiety, Depression, Bereavement, Disability, General Counselling, Self Esteem, Relationships, Stress, Work Related Issues, Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue/ME, Substance Misuse, Anger Management, Couple Counselling and many others.
- Low Cost Counselling for Counselling Students
- Long term face to face work
- Short term face to face work
- Home visits (Usually housebound or disabled clients)
- Online counselling (Email or Chat) Including Skypotherapy !
- Telephone Counselling
I offer a confidential service whether this be face to face, through a telephone call, email or social media.
After you have made first contact we will then agree a time and day to meet either at Blue Amber Therapy Rooms or at an agreed local venue. [Counselling via telephone, email or internet differs and will be discussed on contact]
My sessions are for a full hour where we discuss what the issues might be if any and how I might be able to help you.
I offer Integrative therapy where I will look at what the issues may be and then look at the right ways to help you work through things. However you don't need need to have any issues when coming to counselling but just looking for a way forward with your life.
To get the best from your counselling you will need to see me for at least 6 sessions. However some people need more and this is fine as not everyone is the same and need more time to to resolve their issues.
"Knowing Yourself Is the Beginning of all Wisdom"
Training, qualifications & experience
Higher Diploma In Counselling [Integrative Therapy] 
Advanced Cert In Counselling Practice 
Mindfulness Diploma 
Adolescent Development and Substance Misuse 
Extensive Experience around Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue and its Research.
Working with Relational Trauma: Dealing with Disorganised Attachement. [March 2017]
Trauma and the Body: Somatisation and Dissociation. [March 2017]
Post Qualifying Diploma In Counselling Children & Adolescents [July 2017]
Working With Dissociative Disorders In Clinical Practice [Oct 2017]
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Anorexia nervosa
- Antisocial personality disorder
- Asperger's syndrome
- Attachment disorder
- Avoidant personality disorder
- Binge-eating disorder
- Bipolar disorder/Manic depression
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Borderline personality disorder
- Bulimia nervosa
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Dependent personality disorder
- Domestic violence
- Drug abuse
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Gender dysphoria
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Hearing voices
- Histrionic personality disorder
- Internet addiction
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Narcissistic personality disorder
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder
- Panic disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship issues
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Sex addiction
- Sex problems
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
- Young carers
Other areas of counselling I deal with
I work with clients and their families coping with the impact of Aspergers
Please contact me for more information around this.
- Acceptance and commitment therapy (ACT)
- Behavioural therapy
- Cognitive and behavioural therapies
- Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT)
- Cognitive therapy
- Couples counselling
- Family/systemic therapy
- Group therapy
- Humanistic therapies
- Person-centred therapy
- Play therapy
Photos & videos
- My usual fees for counselling at Blue Amber is £45 per 1 hour session or £50 for a home visit / appointment within the community.
- Contact me for fees relating to couple/marriage counselling and also children and adolescents.
- Counselling for children and adolescents will require an initial assessment for which the same fe applies as the normal sessions, which will be £25 for one hour.
- I also offer workshops and other types of therapy which you will need to contact me first to discuss fees.
- Currently studying 'Pain Management Practitioner Diploma'
- In January 2017 I will continue my professional development and will attend a new course at the Iron Mill College in Exeter. This course will be looking at counselling children and adolescents and will further my expertise in this area. I will publish my progress as I work through the year.
- Coming soon counselling for hearing loss and communication difficulties.
Blue Amber Counselling is now offering Skypotherapy !
We often see the words Psychotherpy, counselling or therapy and basically these are just intrerchangeable words for the same thing.
The BACP [British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy] define counselling as:
"Counselling and psychotherapy are umbrella terms that cover a range of talking therapies. They are delivered by trained practitioners who work with people over a short or long term to help bring about effective change or enhance their wellbeing"
Traditionally, clients will meet with their counsellor face to face and this will be in a counselling room or location. Skypotherapy moves from counsellor and client being in a room that is connected via Skype™, this means that the counsellor will be at their said location and the client will be at theirs.
This style of counselling can be most helpful in the following ways:
- Saves on travelling time
- Greater flexability [If you have a holiday booked you don't necessarily have to miss a session]
- Suitable for housebound or disabled clients
And many more.. I'm sure you will find your own reasons as why this could be a suitable alternative to face to face counselling.
- You will need to download Skype™
- Download it here https://www.skype.com/en/download-skype/skype-for-computer/ This link will offer you all the different types of download whether it is for desktop, mobile, tablet and more.
- You will need a good internet connection, good sound, and good picture for Skypotherapy to work properly.
Booking The Session
- Contact me via the normal way
- We then discuss a time and day suitable for us both and possibly have a tester session to iron out any difficulties that may arise!
- £35 a session [This is cheaper than a normal face to face session]
- Offers are available for multiple sessions booked and paid for in advance [Ask me more]
- Sessions are normally 50 minutes in duration but allow 60 minutes in total for setting up and closing down the session.
How do I pay?
- BACS payment [Usually takes up to 3 days to clear so will need to be paid for in advance of our session.
- PayPal [You don't need to have a PayPal account to be able to use this.. Discuss this with me on how to use]
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Appointment Times: Tuesday to Thursday 9am Onwards. Calls from: 9am to 6pm Monday to Friday
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|