Rose Whiteley UKCP & COSRT accredited
I am a very experienced, accredited counsellor, psychotherapist and sex therapist. Issues I work with include anxiety, panic, depression, anger, low self-esteem and many more. In addition I have special expertise and training in couples counselling, including communication problems, arguments and conflict, sexual difficulties of all kinds, affairs and sexual compulsivity. I also see couples who are considering separation or divorce, and want to work things out as amicably as possible for themselves or their children.
My private consulting room is in Ampthill in mid Bedfordshire. Most people refer themselves to me, often recommended by former clients, although I also receive referrals from GP's and other health professionals.
If you come to see me for a first session, I will take time to find out what specifically is bringing you into therapy at this time, and what you are hoping to get out of it. I will go on to find out a lot about your past and look for any patterns in your life. Often we find that things from the past still influence us in the present, even though we might not be aware of it!
Gender and sexual diversity clients are very welcome, as are those in open or polyamorous relationships.
Training, qualifications & experience
2003: Post-graduate Diploma in the Theory and Practice of Psychotherapy for Sexual Dysfunction
2001: Advanced Diploma in Humanistic-Integrative Counselling
I am a Principal Tutor on the Diploma in Humanistic-Integrative Counselling at CPPD Counselling School in North London.
In addition to almost 20 years' private practice, I have also worked as a therapist at an inner city young people's agency, an NHS Sex Therapy Clinic and at a maximum-security prison.
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Asperger's syndrome
- Attachment disorder
- Bipolar disorder
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Career counselling
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Domestic violence
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Gender dysphoria
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Health anxiety
- Hearing voices
- Internet addiction
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Panic attacks
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship problems
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Sex addiction
- Sex problems
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
Other areas of counselling I deal with
These are some of the reasons people come to me for psychotherapy or counselling:
* Are you suffering from stress, anxiety, panic attacks or depression?
* Do you have low confidence or self-esteem, or struggle with managing anger?
* Do you struggle to cope with things that happened to you in the past such as emotional, physical or sexual abuse?
* Are you in a rut, or unsure about what you want from life?
* Have you suffered bereavement or experienced another painful loss?
These are some of the reasons people come to see me for relationship, couples or psychosexual therapy:
* Are you having difficulties around jealousy and trusting each other?
* Recovering from an affair?
* Are you constantly bickering or arguing?
* Are you finding you no longer seem to desire sex, even though you might sometimes "want to want" it?
* Do you have problems getting aroused? For men, this may mean problems getting or maintaining an erection; for women, a lack of physical enjoyment or lubrication.
* Do you find it difficult to reach orgasm?
* Do you ejaculate before you want to, leaving yourself and/or your partner dissatisfied?
* Do you find penetration painful or impossible?
* Are there issues from your past which are stopping you from being able to enjoy sex now, such as sexual trauma or negative childhood messages about sex?
Counselling/psychotherapy for individuals is £55 per session.
Couple / Relationship / Psychosexual therapy £75 for 60 minutes, or £100 for 90 minutes.
Concessions are sometimes available if you have a low household income. My minimum fee for individuals is £45 (for weekly therapy; £50 if less frequent); and £55 for couples. Please ask when making your first appointment if you are looking for a reduced fee.
My fees reflect the fact that I am trained (and train others) in both general and psychosexual therapy and have a high level of expertise with a wide range of issues, gained over almost 20 years' practice.
You can read my blog here: Rose Whiteley's Blog
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Yes, although access is via a gravel track which unfortunately may be hard work in a wheel chair
Weekdays, first thing to early evening.
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|
Supervision & training
I have a Diploma in Clinical Supervision and offer supervision for both general psychotherapy/counselling and psychosexual work.View supervision profile