Suzi Howey BSc (Hons), Dip. T.C., Acc.UKCP, MBACP
Watson House Therapy Centre
01670 511293 / 07786186547
I am a qualified Psychotherapeutic Counsellor, who trained at the centre for excellence, The Northern Guild of Psychotherapy in Newcastle upon Tyne, on a registered British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy [BACP] course. I am an accredited and registered member of the UKCP [United Kingdom Council for Psychotherapy]. I am a member of the BACP and The Northern Guild.
I am also a trained EMDR practitioner and a member of the EMDR [Eye Movement Desensitisation and Reprocessing] Association UK & Ireland.
I spent 5 years counselling in a GP surgery, where I saw a wide client base who were referred to me by their GP. I was Lead Psychotherapeutic Counsellor for a charity that provided palliative care and support to both patients with life threatening and life limiting illnesses and their carers. I have a private practice where clients either self refer, or via their GP or third party/agency.
I use an integrative approach to therapy. The therapeutic relationship is based on sensitivity, respect and an appreciation of all issues. Therapy is an opportunity for you to share personal difficulties with a trusted, professional and experienced psychotherapeutic counsellor. I can provide the space and time for your personal growth as well as change. Therapy can help you understand the source of any distress or confusion you may be experiencing. If we can understand the reasons for these uncomfortable feelings it can often bring freedom, and the opportunity to consider an alternative way of being. If you feel depressed or just low, or are finding yourself overly worried or suffering from anxiety about life or aspects of life, click below to contact me.
I draw upon a range of therapeutic models from psychodynamic therapy to CBT [Cognitive Behavioural Therapy] and will select those that will be most helpful to you and through our therapeutic relationship I find most emotional difficulties can be overcome. I also use a variety of creative methods to aid self-expression; art, constellation work, stories and imagery therapy. Another therapy is Sand Tray Therapy; this can be of great benefit by exploring inner conflicts in a three dimensional and visual medium I use a gentle, informal and relational style that suits most people.
I have specialist trauma therapy training and can implement Trauma Focused Cognitive Behavioural Therapy as a rapid intervention. I am trained in EMDR [Eye Movement Desensitisation & Reprocessing] [part 1 & 2] which is a specialist therapy that targets trauma, PTSD, phobias and anxiety.
I also offer Couples Counselling, Relationship Foundation Therapy and Relationship Conflict Management, including handling breakdowns constructively. So if there is a relationship issue that you would like to talk about with an impartial third party, or if you are entering into marriage or a committed relationship and would like some relationship foundation therapy then contact me, click below to arrange an appointment.
Training, qualifications & experience
- BSc (Hons) Psychology
- DPC Dip. Psychotherapeutic Counselling
- Certificate in Couples Counselling
- Certificate in Transactional Analysis
- EMDR Practioner
- Training in TF-CBT
- Accredited/Registered member of the UKCP
- Member of BACP and on their Register for Counsellors and Psychotherapists
- Member of the EMDR Association UK & Ireland [Eye Movement Desensitisation & Reprocessing]
- Member of the Northern Guild of Psychotherapy & Counselling
- Assistant forensic psychologist researching Child Sex Offending
- Northumbria University Psychology Department research post
- 5 years counselling in a GP surgery
- 1 year as Lead Counsellor for Palliative Care Charity
- My own Private Practice
- Associate Counsellor for Employee Assistance Programme
- 30 years of volunteer experience in charity work and other organisations
- Had a full time career and raised 2 children and 3 step children, with 1 still at home.
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Domestic violence
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Panic disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
Other areas of counselling I deal with
- Relationship Foundation Therapy
- Positive Life Changes & Coaching
- Motivational/Public Speaking
- Relationship Conflict Management
- Breakdown Management
- Mentoring [career changes, qualifications, prolonged study periods, returning to work]
- Guidance/Suppot and Training Workshops
- £40 per individual session (50 minutes) talking therapy.
- £70 per couple per 90 minute assessment and £50 thereafter per 50 minute session
- £40/£70 per 50/90 minute EMDR session.
- £50 per couple per session (50 minutes) or special offer of £110 per x 3 sessions if booked and paid for in advance, in Relationship Foundation Therapy, a precursor to marriage, commitment and/or living together, including composite family arrangements.
I deliver workshops along with my colleague as part of Hedsu Training contact me for details.
I offer a unique opportunity for couples: Relationship Foundation Therapy.
This is a series of 3 x single sessions to couples who maybe about to enter marriage, or a long term commitment; to couples who are planning to live together and extended families who are coming together into a composite family.
This is an opportunity for the individuals in the relationship to explore their expectations of what the relationship might bring and to understand the realisitic changes ahead. It is also a place to discover, perhaps previously unheard feelings, wants and needs within their relationship.
It is not intended as therapy [in the known sense of the word], more of a safe and secure place to discover and manage expectations with a trained and certified Couples Counsellor and Psychotherapeutic Counsellor.
I can tailor this to your specific needs, and it can be as serious or as light-hearted as you feel befits your situation. Please get in touch with me, click below for further details.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
All day and early evening Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday, [Monday & Friday by arrangement]
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|