Rhian Gower PGDip MBACP
63 Sandgate Road
I am a welcoming, open-minded and fully qualified counsellor who is a member of the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP). I hold profound respect for those I work with and sensitivity for the unique needs and perspectives each person brings. Sessions with me are a joint project in which we come to understand what life is like for you and what you need in order to move forward.
What brings you to counselling?
You may be feeling alone or overwhelmed, struggling to keep some feelings at arm’s length, or with sides of yourself that have felt too difficult to accept. There may be a particular difficulty you are facing, a sense that there may be more to life, or perhaps more about yourself that you want to explore.
It takes courage to turn towards what is troubling us and it can help to do this from within the safety of a supportive and accepting relationship.
How I work
My work is grounded in the belief that we each have the potential to work through and grow from the difficulties we face, and process even the most painful of feelings, but sometimes we need support with that.
The process of exploring in-depth what is troubling us with someone who is really listening, not just to your words but to the person behind them, can in itself be a healing process. It may also bring to light beliefs and ways of living that are holding you back.
I offer a relationship that invites a deeper connection with yourself and with the aspects of your personality and perspectives that may have been pushed to one side. My aim is to help you rediscover the resources, strengths and wisdom that are yours and that can free you up to live with greater purpose and energy.
There is lots more I could say about who I am and what I bring to my work but more important is the impression you get of me and your gut feeling about whether I can be of help. It is for that reason that I offer a free initial consultation so you can talk through any questions or concerns and decide about arranging further sessions.
Training, qualifications & experience
- I am a fully qualified counsellor with a Postgraduate Diploma in Humanistic Therapeutic Counselling (with Distinction).
- Masters in Critical Theory (with Distinction).
- In 2014, I was employed by YMCA DownsLink Group to establish a pilot project in which I provided counselling to young people in a deprived area of Brighton. The project recently secured NHS funding and is now part of Brighton and Hove's Wellbeing Service.
- I have over thirteen years experience working with people in crisis.
- I have eight years experience working with teenagers and young adults.
- I currently work as a counsellor at Durrington High School and as freelance counsellor at UMEUS, providing counselling for parents.
- Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training (ASIST)
- Attachment and Trauma
- Child Development
- Therapy with Trans Individuals
- Systemic Approaches to Change
- Personality Disorders
- Focussing Oriented therapy
- Solution Focussed therapy
- Self Harm
- Safeguarding adults and children
- Creative approaches to therapy (art and sandtray)
- Diploma in Group Therapy training
- I have also delivered training in Equalities and Diversity
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Attachment disorder
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Gender dysphoria
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Physical abuse
- Postnatal depression
Other areas of counselling I deal with
- Shame and guilt
- Identity issues
- Difficulties at work
- Values, beliefs and politics
- Loneliness and isolation
- Relating to authority
- Break-ups and heartbreak
- Adult children of narcissists
- Loss of direction and motivation
Photos & videos
I offer a free initial consultation.
My fees for counselling sessions (lasting 50 minutes):
- £45 full cost
- £35 concessions for low waged
- £25 low cost for unwaged or students
Regarding the number of sessions offered, I provide short-term counselling of a few sessions and longer term work.
The room I work from is a quiet, calm and welcoming space in the Fiveways area of Brighton.
If you would like to book an initial consultation or if you have any questions you wish to ask, please don't hesitate to phone, text or email me.
- 07384 324058
Taking the step of contacting a counsellor can be daunting but you don’t have to be on your own with this.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
I work on Tuesday evenings and Wednesday afternoons.
Types of client