Nicola Dooley MSc UKCP Reg MBACP(Snr. accred.)
28 Beckenham Road
07773 625 364
Welcome . I am a UKCP registered psychotherapist and a registered and senior accredited member of the BACP.
I have worked as a counsellor and psychotherapist since 1999, most recently as a Staff Counsellor for the London Fire Brigade. In addition I have worked in a range of contexts including a GP surgery, Sutton Hospital Psychotherapy Dept, PACE, an Alcohol and Drugs agency and private practice. I was also Chair of the Trauma Network (London) for 2 years.
I have considerable experience of working with and supporting a diverse range of individuals. I have particular experience of working with:
- relationship and family difficulties
- bereavement and loss
- depression and anxiety
- stress both work-related and life stressors
- trauma including post-traumatic stress disorder
- issues around sexuality and gender identity
Previously I worked as a research assistant at the Institute of Psychiatry on adoption and fostering and then in a social work team, working with vulnerable adults. I bring this knowledge and experience to my current work.
I work with individuals, face to face and offer both short and longer term, in-depth work. For people experiencing Post traumatic stress I offer a therapy called EMDR and Sensorimotor therapy.
I aim to create a safe and supportive therapeutic relationship - this is central to my work. I offer this by providing a:
- A confidential, safe space to explore things
- A respectful and non-judgemental relationship that values difference and diversity
- Clarity about what I can offer and how we might work together
- Being open and honest with you
- A commitment to listen and understand things from your perspective
- Exploring how past experiences may impact on the present
- Working at your pace and a depth that feels comfortable for you
- Building on and developing your strengths and resources
- Reviewing the work to ensure it is meeting your needs
I work in an exploratory, collaborative way. I like to work creatively to suit your style and personality and the issues you are bringing. Sometimes thoughts and feelings don't have words and it can be useful to use other ways to help express and make sense of them like imagery, drawing, body-focused therapy, as well as dialogue.
The theoretical approaches I integrate into my practice are from the psychodynamic and humanistic traditions, particularly intersubjective relational and body orientated approaches.
If you are interested in having counselling / psychotherapy with me then please e-mail or telephone. I like to have a brief telephone conversation with you before we book an initial session. This first session is an opportunity to look at what is concerning you and how we might work together and for each of us to see if I feel like the right person for you. If you decide you would like to continue then we can book some further sessions. I suggest that we review this after 6 sessions and think together how we go forward.
WHERE I WORK
My practice is based within a private suite of rooms at Venue 28, a grade II listed building close to Beckenham Spa and Beckenham Library. It has wheelchair access and disabled parking nearby.
There are good transport links from Croydon, Crystal Palace, Bromley and central London. I am two minutes walk from Clockhouse Station, 7 minutes from Kent House Station and 5 minutes from Beckenham Road Tram stop. The buses that stop outside are, 94, 227, 354 & 358. There is free car parking at the venue and in neighbouring roads apart from between 10 - 12 pm when it is metered. There is a bike park under cover nearby.
Training, qualifications & experience
My main qualifications are as follows:
• BSc (Hons) Social Psychology, Univ.London 1987
• Certificate in Counselling Skills and Counselling Theory, CSCT 1999
• MSC in Integrative Psychotherapy, Metanoia Institute 2004
• Certificate in Somatic Trauma Therapy 2006
• Certificate Part III EMDR in 2008
• Certificate in Sensorimotor Therapy for Trauma, SPI 2010
• Certificate in Supervision, The Grove 2011
I regularly attend further training as part of my Continuing Professional Development. This enables me to review my practice in light of current clinical thinking and developments and ensure I am offering you what is considered best practice in the profession. Other trainings have included working with self harm, cognitive therapy with trauma and anxiety disorders, transgender issues, traumatic attachments and addictions.
My regulatory bodies are the UKCP and BACP and I am guided by and adhere to their respective ethical frameworks. This includes me having regular supervision to support my work with you and having Professional Indemnity Insurance.
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Anger management
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Domestic violence
- Gender dysphoria
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Panic disorder
- The initial consultation is £60.00 and lasts 1 hour
- Ongoing sessions are £60.00 for a 50 mins session
- EMDR sessions maybe longer for which different charges will apply.
- Payment is by cheque or cash
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
I work daytime and evenings on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays.
Types of client