Mary Wallace MBACP (Registered), Dip. Coun. MA Counselling
07712159440 / 07712159440
Life throws up difficulties for all of us and we can feel very alone when confronted with these. Stress, anxiety, grief or depression can threaten to throw us off our track. At other times, we just want to stop and spend some time exploring where we have got to, the choices we have made and how we wish to move forward. If you are feeling unhappy, anxious, angry or lost, counselling can help.
I will do my best to understand what is happening for you and offer both the space for you to be heard and ideas about how you might change your situation. It can really help to talk over your experiences and explore your emotions with someone who isn't involved and who can offer support and perhaps a different perspective.
I am a qualified counsellor and a registered individual member of The British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy [BACP]. I have worked with a wide range of people, supporting them through a variety of difficulties in their lives, including:
- relationship issues
- family issues
- separation and divorce
- loss and bereavement
- anger management
- life choices
- abuse - both current and historical
- stress at work or at home
- coping with emotionally demanding careers
Counselling is a place where you can talk privately about your life and your relationships. Some people use this space to:
- express feelings or thoughts that they don’t feel able to express anywhere else
- work out how they feel and what they think about important events or situations in their life
- work through issues that are affecting their relationships and consider how to move forward
- explore a problem and perhaps the different options they have [or which a counsellor might suggest] for dealing with that problem
- take time out from difficult situations or feelings
- learn better ways for coping with difficult emotions or situations
I offer counselling in an area of Stockport with excellent links to the bus, train and road network, so am easily reached from all areas of Stockport and south Manchester.
SUPPORT FOR YOUNG PEOPLE:
In addition to working with adults, I am able to work with children and young people aged 8 and older. Much of the above applies to the way I work with children and teenagers, but there may be some changes in my approach to meet their developmental needs.
Just as for adults, counselling provides an opportunity for a child or young person to explore personal difficulties in a confidential and supportive environment. I have expertise in a range of creative and play techniques that help children and teens to explore their experiences and I understand the ways in which we communicate change as we grow and develop.
I will, to the best of my ability, try to create a supportive, non-judgemental environment in which your child or teenager will be given time and space to understand and gain insight into his or her emotions, behaviour and situation.
Confidentiality in work with children and young people is important and young people entering counselling with me will be assured that, as long as I do not think they are at any significant risk, what they discuss with me will remain private. If you or your young person would like to know more about how I work, please contact me by email or telephone and I'll do my best to answer your questions.
Training, qualifications & experience
I have a long background in working with individuals and families before training as a counsellor. I have helped adults, young people and children struggling with a wide range of difficulties to find their strengths and move forward in their lives.
My counselling training integrates insights and techniques from a range of therapies, including person-centred, psychodynamic and attachment theories, CBT strategies, concepts of narrative and life-stories and aspects of Transactional Analysis.
- MA in Counselling - University of Manchester
- Postgraduate Diploma in Counselling Psychology - Manchester Metropolitan University
- Diploma in Counselling - University of Manchester
- Certificate in Counselling Skills and Theory - Central School of Counselling
- Mindfulness Resilience Enhancement
- Using Creativity as a Therapeutic Tool in Counselling
- Art Therapy Foundation Course
- Working with Survivors of Trauma
- Trauma and the Body
- Working with Bereavement
- Person-centred Play Therapy Skills
- Theraplay Level One
- Introduction to Attachment Based Practice with Adults, Children and Families
- Safeguarding Children and Young People
- BACP Coaching for a Changing World
- Working with Diversity in Counselling
I work within the ethical framework of the BACP
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Attachment disorder
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Domestic violence
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship issues
Other areas of counselling I deal with
Young People aged 13 - 18
I am happy to discuss your needs or queries over the telephone initially. Our first face to face session will be £25; after that, for a session of counselling, I charge £40 but I can reduce this if your circumstances make this difficult for you. I charge £35 per hour to work with young people or children aged 13 - 18.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
I offer sessions on a Wednesday and a Thursday evening between 5.30 and 9.30
Types of client