Tara Gold MBACP, MCOSRT - Couple Counsellor
17 East Parade
Each individual and couple relationship is unique, but common problems include affairs and betrayals, escalating arguments, communication difficulties, lack of trust, lack of desire, money worries, depression and anxiety, chronic illness...
You don't have to be in crisis to benefit from counselling. Catching a problem early often makes it easier to resolve and I have helped many couples and individuals who came to me after first noticing a "wobble" in their relationship. However, if you are at crisis point then please don't feel it is too late. If separation and divorce are inevitable couple counselling can still be extremely beneficial.
I have been a counsellor for ten years, initially focusing on bereavement before specialising in relationships. I strongly believe that we all deserve to be happy and that we are each capable of change. I am committed to helping people achieve their potential as individuals and within a couple relationship.
The majority of my training has been with The Relate Institute and I work for Relate Mid-Yorkshire alongside my private practice at the listening room (http://www.listening-room.co.uk).
It is important for all counsellors to continue learning and some of the professional development events that I have recently attended can be seen below.
I am a member of The British Association of Counsellors and Psychotherapists (MBACP, www.bacp.co.uk) and a member of The College of Sexual and Relationship Therapists (MCOSRT, www.cosrt.org.uk) and adhere to their Code of Ethics and Practice Guidelines.
We will start with a face to face assessment session for 1 hour. We will talk through how I might be able to help and plan a way forward. Some people find that this initial session is all they need to clear their thinking, help them decide what to do. If we decide to work together we will organise on-going 1 hour counselling sessions, ideally once a week on the same day and at the same time. I have found that by attending regular hourly sessions, clients can achieve more than if they just attend on an ad hoc basis. It also provides evidence, to all those involved, that everyone is committed to the counselling process.
Obviously there may be times when you are unable to make your session and I will try to be as flexible as possible.
Counselling will continue as long as it is helping. Most clients need between six and twenty sessions.
I am also a fully qualified sex therapist which means that I can help couples who suffer from problems such as erectile difficulties, painful intercourse, lack of desire, difficulty having an orgasm, ejaculation problems. For more information please see the website www.listening-room.co.uk and go to the "psychosexual therapy" page.
Training, qualifications & experience
- Postgraduate Diploma in Relationship Therapy (Psychosexual Therapy) (University of Hull)
- University Advanced Diploma: Couple Counselling (University of Hull)
- Qualification as a Relate Counsellor
Recent training in:
- Working with self-harm and self- injury (Dr Andrew Reeves)
- Sex addiction assessment tool (Relate Institute)
- Counselling suicidal clients (Dr Andrew Reeves)
- Relationship counselling using Transactional Analysis (Leeds Psychotherapy Training Institute)
- TA - A Proactive Approach for Relationship Counselling (LPTI)
- Working with lesbians, gay men and bisexual people in couples (Tim Foskett)
- Towards an Understanding of Parkinson's Disease (Parkinson's UK)
- Asperger's Awareness (Relate)
- Working More Effectively with Stepfamilies (StepIN ASAP)
- Bereavement Counselling Skills (CRUSE)
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Asperger's syndrome
- Bipolar disorder/Manic depression
- Child related issues
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Domestic violence
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Internet addiction
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Physical abuse
- Postnatal depression
- Pregnancy and birth
I charge £50 per hour for relationship counselling and £65 per hour for psychosexual therapy.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Types of client