Karen Gunn MSc Clin. Psych; Dip. Counselling Psychology & Psychotherapy.
Nr. Royal Wootton Bassett
My private practice provides a safe and confidential space where you are able to discuss your concerns in a calm and supportive environment.
Sometimes we need the help of a therapist to provide a clear focus on what is important in our lives; especially when experiencing periods of difficulty and uncertainty. Occasionally our thoughts, feelings and emotions are confused and we become unclear on the choices we need to make. Often it is difficult to talk about the issues we face but with some understanding and purposeful structure, it is usually possible to find a new direction or a fresh approach to a problem.
I have worked in a voluntary capacity with charitable organisations that provide therapeutic support to vulnerable children and adults who have been traumatised by early childhood experiences, and who want to manage and understand their difficulties in order to find a fresh perspective.
I understand that choosing a counsellor can be difficult and I hope you will be able to contact me. I offer an initial assessment appointment where you can outline your concerns. We can discuss whether I am able to help you find a way forward with your issues, although on occasions, it maybe necessary to refer you to another specialist more suited to your individual needs.
Training, qualifications & experience
Training and Therapeutic Approach
Advanced Diploma in Counselling Supervision (NCS Accredited) 2017. I offer supervision to trainee counsellors at a reduced rate, although all external reports carry an extra fee.
Postgraduate and academic training in Clinical Psychology at Bournemouth University has improved my knowledge of mental health conditions and provided further insight into the challenges facing individuals and their families.
After my graduate training in Psychology at Oxford Brookes University, I trained as an existential counsellor and psychotherapist with Middlesex University. I look to explore any difficulties that may have arisen for you from an Integrative-Existential perspective, where the focus of the work will consider the human condition as a whole. My integrative and person-centred therapeutic interventions take account of the diversity of the human condition and I encourage individuals to take responsibility for their responses, actions and behaviours.
I hope to explore your issues with you and encourage you to discover a meaningful approach to life that will be positive and purposeful; affirming your self-esteem and confidence. This may involve interventions from modalities such as Humanistic, Person Centred, Positive Psychology, Gestalt, Existential, Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT), and Mindfulness.
- Advanced Diploma in Counselling Supervision (NCS Accredited, 2017)
- Masters in Foundations of Clinical Psychology (MSc; 2015)
- Postgraduate Diploma in Counselling and Psychotherapy: Middlesex University (2012)
- Diploma in Psychology: Oxford Brookes University (2007)
- Certificate in Psychology: Oxford Brookes University (2006)
- Bachelor of Education Degree (Hons): Leicester University
- Certificate of Education: Leicester University
- Advanced Diploma in Counselling Supervision (KRCS)
- Rape Counselling Service (CPD and workshops)
- Trauma and Emotional Processing
- Post Traumatic Stress Disorder
- Anxiety Disorders
- Clients with Dementia
- Child Protection
- Cognitive Behaviour Therapy
- Sleep Disturbance
- Eating Disorders
- Mood Disorders
Current and past counselling and psychotherapy experience.
I work privately as a counsellor, psychotherapist and supervisor. The first assessment session is usually held at my private counselling room, near Royal Wootton Bassett. On occasions it is possible to hold the counselling sessions at another location by prior arrangement. Couples may prefer to have their sessions in their own home, especially if they have children to consider; however, this may involve an extra charge for travel and time.
I have previous experience of working as a counsellor, psychotherapist and supervisor in the following charitable organisations:
- Supervisor for Willows Counselling Service (Wiltshire).
- Volunteer Counsellor with the Portsmouth Abuse and Rape Counselling Service (PARCS), offering counselling and support to men and women who have previously experienced sexual violation in childhood or more recently.
- Adviza (Connexions, Reading, Berkshire) counselling children and young people between the ages of 14 and 19 years.
- MIND, Hampshire: counselling adults with a variety of mental health issues.
- New Horizon Centre, London; where I worked as a coach and counsellor with young people between the ages of 16 to 23 years.
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Anger management
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Domestic violence
- Eating disorders
- Gender dysphoria
- Hearing voices
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
Other areas of counselling I deal with
- Young persons
Photos & videos
Initial (first) assessment session £50
Individual session per 50 minutes session £40 - £55 depending on duration and number of sessions.
Students may be offered a reduced rate.
Couple, family or group sessions: Starting from £70
Supervision from: £50 per 90 minute sessions (Counselling students in training are offered a reduced rate depending on personal circumstances).
Other areas I deal with:
- Diversity, difference and equality
- Personal development
I offer free parking and a confidential environment.
To help me process your enquiry and arrange an appointment, please leave a brief message speaking clearly, stating:
- your full name
- contact telephone number
- availability for an initial appointment (Monday to Friday)
If you prefer you can contact me via email to include the information above; please be sure to include your telephone number as I will not necessarily send a message by return email.
Thank you for your enquiry.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
I currently only have availability for some week-day evenings sessions and some Saturday mornings from mid-September 2017.
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|