Emma-Jane LaRoche BA (Hons) Counselling MBACP
Parklands, Railton Road
Thank you for taking a minute to stop by my page.
Taking that first step in seeking a counsellor can be daunting for many people but bring a sense of relief to others.
Well done for making that decision! It may have taken courage for you to get this far but you are important and you deserve to be heard!
For those that are new to therapy, counselling allows you the opportunity to explore and express your thoughts and feelings and make sense of your worries in a safe, compassionate and non-judgemental environment.Supporting you through tough times, alongside you in making life-time changing decisions or just being there for you whilst you share your sadness and loss over a loved one, counselling gives you the opportunity to talk freely and confidentially about your worries and concerns.
When being heard starts the healing process!
Perhaps you are going through a tough period in your life and have decided that now is the time to seek professional help! Are there events in your past which you feel are impacting on your present life or even influencing your future!
Friends and family can mean well but perhaps they haven't fully understood what you've been saying or possibly the situation is because of them.
Together we discuss what is important to you. Providing a space where you are listened to and heard, where what you say counts and is important. Counselling allows you the time and space to make sense of your worries and find a solution to make the changes you need to carry on and feel confident in your life.
As well as helping individuals with Anxiety and Depression, some of the other areas I work with are listed below
- Relationships- marriage difficulties, communicating problems with work colleagues, family or friends, bullying, domestic abuse.
- Sress-pressure of work, family, money or just life in general.
- Life changing events- bereavement, redundancy, children leaving home, illness.
- Trouble with feelings- loneliness, feeling suicidal, lack of confidence, low self-esteem, feelings of negativity towards yourself or others, self-harm
As a Transactional Analysis Counsellor I will work with you to undertand what is holding you back from making these changes .Perhaps you've noticed that there appears to be negative repetitive patterns in your relationships. This could be with either friends, partners, family or work colleagues.
Working together we look at your communication skills and how to develop personal strategies to help you to get the best out of life.
About me and my practice
- I am a fully trained counsellor and Member of the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy offering individual therapy where you have the opportunity to talk about your worries and difficulties in a confidential and safe space.
- I offer counselling for clients of 16 years and above, for either short (time-limited)or long term therapy.
- I work with a variety of issues including anxiety,depression, low self-esteem, bereavement and relationship issues.
- My purpose is to provide a space where you can talk and be heard without being judged or criticised.
- Together we look at what may be causing you diffiulties and identify solutions to help you make the changes in your life you need to move forward.
- I use a variety of therapeutic tools which are tailored to meet your individual requirements. This may include some psycho education where you are able to learn more about who you are and identify negative repeated patterns of behaviour which may be preventing you from change.
General information about the counselling I provide
What to expect
Your counselling session lasts 50 minutes and in the initial meeting we talk about what has brought you to counselling. I will also ask some questions and then explain how the counselling process works. It will give you the opportunity to ask questions and discuss any worries and concerns you may have and then between us we agree to the frequency and time that these sessions will take place.
Counselling also helps with:
- Understanding more about who you are
- Self development
- Self awareness.
- Exploring your thoughts, feelings and behaviour
- Creating personal choice
- Making positive changes in your life
I provide a non-judgemental, comassionate and supportive environment. I am happy to offer you a free 10 minute initial phone conversation to discuss whether I can be of any help. Times and days of the week are flexible so please feel free to contact me to arrange an appointment.
Training, qualifications & experience
BA (Hons) Transactional Analysis Counselling (First Class)
Foundation Degree in Humanistic Counselling, based on Transactional Analysis (Middlesex University)
I also hold the following certificates:
- L2 Certificate in Introduction to Counselling (CPCAB)
- L2 Certificate in Counselling Skills (CPCAB)
- L3 Certificate in Counselling Studies (CPCAB)
- Certificate of Transactional Analysis 101 from ITA (Institute of Transactional Analysis)
I am a registered member of the following associations:
- The British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (MBACP)
- Society for Companion Animal Studies (SCAS)
- Hampshire Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (HACP)
I attend regular one to one and group supervision sessions and am committed to improve my service by attending continuing professional development courses. The ethical guidelines that underpin my work are defined by the BACP (http://www.bacp.co.uk/about_bacp/).
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Attachment disorder
- Child related issues
- Domestic violence
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Panic disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
Free face to face 30 min consultation at my Guildford practice.
Each session lasts 50 minutes and is £50 per session.
I ask that payment is made either in advance or at each individual session.
I have private practice facilities in both Lightwater and Guildford n Surrey. Both are situated close to the M3/M25.
I also have a practice at Odiham in Hampshire where I offer Animal Assisted Therapy.
A discount is offered to student counsellors. Please contact me for further details.
I offer Animal Assisted Therapy at my Odiham practice with my own dog who has previously been a registered PAT dog. (Please note she is a non-molting breed). Sometimes the presence of a dog/cat in the therapy room can help to make a more relaxed environment. Ongoing research shows the benefits of animal companionship both physically and mentally for people of all ages. Should you be interested in AAT please call me to discuss so an assessment can be arranged. Animal Assisted Therapy is available purely on a case by case basis.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
My hours are flexible so please feel free to call and discuss a suitable time.
Types of client