Dr Darren McClounan, UKCP Registered Psychotherapist; MUPCA (Accred)
01243 937309 / 07970 203694
I am an experienced psychotherapist, currently working in both the psychotherapy department of an NHS mental health trust, as well as seeing individuals privately in my Chichester practice.
I offer face to face psychotherapy and counselling to adult individuals. My extensive training as a psychotherapist and counsellor drew on different approaches to therapy, enabling me to work in an integrative way. This allows me to recognise that individuals are all unique in their being and, as such, require different responses to their difficulties. For this reason I utilise the most valuable and relevant aspects of each theory, rather than adopting a ‘one size fits all’ approach. In the main I draw upon Person-Centred, Existential and Psychoanalytic schools of thought, with a particular interest in psychoanalytic/psychodynamic theory and what it has to offer us in terms of insight and understanding into how our past can influence and direct our present.
I aim to create a welcoming and non-judgemental environment in which you will feel able to speak freely. My consulting room is a safe space in which we can explore your concerns and difficulties, with the hope of working towards bringing about the change you desire. I strongly believe in the potential of the therapeutic relationship in and of itself to effect change.
Training, qualifications & experience
I have worked with a wide and diverse range of individuals in the field of mental health and well-being for over 15 years. Having initially qualified as a Mental Health Nurse (RMN), I then went on to undertake an extensive training in psychotherapy and counselling which I progressed through certificate, diploma and Masters (MSc) levels, culminating in the successful completion of my Professional Doctorate (PsychD). I also attended the Advanced Practitioner Programme as part of my doctoral studies.
I have successfully completed:
- a professional Psychology Doctorate (PsychD) in Psychotherapy & Counselling at the University of Roehampton
- training in Mentalization Based Treatment at The Anna Freud Centre, London
- a Higher Diploma in Mental Health Nursing (RMN) at the University of Surrey
- a UKCP registered psychotherapist. UKCP is the UK’s leading professional body for the education, training and accreditation of psychotherapists and is the quality mark for high standards in psychotherapy. They hold the national register of psychotherapists and psychotherapeutic counsellors, listing those practitioner members who meet exacting standards and training requirements.
- an accredited clinical member of the Universities Psychotherapy & Counselling Association (UPCA)
- a registered mental health nurse with the Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC)
- a current Enhanced DBS (Disclosure and Barring Service) check – required for working with vulnerable people.
As part of my commitment to continuing professional development, I regularly attend conferences, seminars and workshops.
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Anger management
- Bipolar disorder/Manic depression
- Domestic violence
- Emotional abuse
- Feeling sad
- Gender dysphoria
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
The initial consultation provides an opportunity for us to meet and explore what brings you to therapy. This lasts for up to 1 hour and 30 minutes and costs a flat rate of £75.
If we agree to meet regularly then my fees are calculated using a fee scale ranging from £50-£75 per 50 minute session, with the amount paid being determined by your income.
Fees are payable either weekly or monthly by account and can be made by cash, cheque or bank transfer.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Types of client