Caroline Nottage BA (Hons) Counselling/Psychotherapy, Registered MBACP (Accred)
Chelston Wellbeing Centre
38-40 Walnut Road
I am a Person Centred Counsellor, Psychotherapist and Clinical Supervisor with a practice based in Torquay, Dartmouth and Totnes, Devon.
What could counselling help you to do?
You may be looking for some help to deal with anxiety, depression, stress, workplace or relationship issues or to help support you through some sort of a loss. Counselling can help you to:
- Make changes in your life
- Make sense of where you are
- Identify the choices you have for change
- Increase your self-awareness
- Acquire more independence
- Feel more confident and content
- Face your future with more optimism
....to take back control.
Counselling is at its most effective when approached with total honesty, building a relationship and feeling safe with your counsellor is very important and all sessions are carried out in strict confidence. Boundaries are kept to protect both counsellor and client to ensure an ethical practice is followed, as laid down by the BACP.
Counselling can help you to become more aware of how you react in certain situations and this in turn can give you the power to choose - to continue to act in that way or not - to do something differently. This can have a positive effect on the way you choose to behave or react to things around you.
Working through obstacles that may stand in your way of making effective change and discussing sensitive issues can be hard work and is often emotionally draining. The level of change you may notice in yourself can vary from week to week and from person to person.
As an Accredited Registered Member of the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (MBACP (Accred) 030715), I also have an honours degree (BA) in Person Centred Counselling and Psychotherapy from the University of Warwick and a diploma in Clinical Supervision.
Having gained experience in general counselling, within primary care in a GP surgery, I have a private practice and I also specialise in working with adult survivors of childhood abuse.
I practice out of the Chelston Centre in Chelston, Torquay and at the Flavel centre in Dartmouth most week days and evenings or Saturday mornings. I also have access to therapy rooms in Totnes.
I have experience of both short term and long term therapy, working with general anxiety, depression, stress, difficulties in family relationships, physical health problems and their impact on your mood, loss and bereavement, coping with ageing and anxiety around death, difficulties with partner relationships, childhood abuse and its impact on you now, lack of confidence and self esteem, suicidal thoughts, loneliness, the impact of ill health in the family, the impact of court cases on your life.
I practice within the BACP ethical frameworks, which also includes regular clinical supervision to help validate and develop my work.
It is also possible to arrange sessions using SKYPE.
If you would like to discuss any of this further, you can contact me, by phone or email or through my website via the link above.
We would usually have a quick chat on the phone just to establish your objectives for counselling and discuss a way of working, then we could meet for an initial, assessment session to see how we get on - and take it from there.
Training, qualifications & experience
- 2015 Diploma in Clinical Supervision
- 2014 Accredited member BACP
- 2013 BA (Hons) Person Centred Counselling and Psychotherapy, University of Warwick
- 2012 Accredited Member of the National Counselling Society
- 2011 Member of the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy
- 2011 FdA Personal Centred Counselling and Psychotherapy, University of Warwick
- 2010 Working with survivors of sexual abuse, National Open College Network
- 2009 Certificate in Personal Centred Counselling and Psychotherapy, University of Warwick
- TA101 - Transactional analysis
- Suicide and suicidal ideation
- Mindfulness based CBT
- Hamlet on the couch - Shakespeare and psychotherapy
- Counselling and psychotherapy with clients who misuse drugs and alcohol
- Sexually speaking - overview of working with clients who have addiction issues, specifically sex addiction
- Update on counselling and psychotherapy with clients who have been emotionally, physically or sexually abused
- Brains, Bombs and Baddies - understanding post traumatic stress disorder and the long term effects on the brain in survivors of abuse and conflict.
- Creative approaches to working with clients in Person Centred Counselling and Psychotherapy
- COMBAT - Raising awareness in trafficking
- Counselling and psychotherapy with clients who have psychological disorders and mental health issues
- Practising existential psychotherapy
- The theory and practice of mindfulness and compassion focused therapy
- Pre death counselling
- Working at relational depth
I have worked with the NHS IAPT Depression and Anxiety Service (DAS) in Exeter, providing Counselling for Depression (CfD) and clinical supervision for their Voluntary Counselling Service, including students on placement.
I also provide supervision, both group and 1-2-1, for CentrePeace, a charity based in Paignton and work with Hammet Street Consulting, The Priory Group, Aviva and Validium as a counselling affiliate.
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Anger management
- Asperger's syndrome
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Domestic violence
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
Other areas of counselling I deal with
One hour sessions can be arranged at Chelston Well Being Centre in Walnut Road, Chelston, Torquay and at the Flavel centre in Dartmouth, most week days and evenings or Saturday mornings. I also have access to therapy rooms in Totnes.
Fees are currently £45.00 to £55.00, dependent on location and time of day, per full 60 minute session, some concessions may be available for counselling students.
I also provide Clinical Supervision to counsellors and psychotherapists.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Most week days and evenings 8.45 am to 8pm and Saturday mornings
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|
Supervision & training
I provide Supervision based around the Hawkins and Shohet Seven Eyed Model which helps to ensure all aspects of the client/counsellor/supervisor relationship are discussed, including any organisational context for either counsellor or supervisor.View supervision profile