Every professional displayed on Counselling Directory has been independently verified by our team to ensure they have suitable credentials to practise.
This professional has no current availability for new clients. Please enquire with them directly to discuss availability.
This professional has no current availability for new clients. Please enquire with them directly to discuss availability.
A very warm welcome to you - known as Sue and describe myself as an experienced, aware, qualified, compassionate, and professional counsellor and supervisor.
My focus is on you, I will support you, using my experience, awareness, skills, and knowledge, to enable you to feel better from life's difficult experiences causing you concern in the here and now. Together in collaboration we will work through your concerns and difficulties.
The ultimate aim being to re-empower you to regain and maintain balance in your mental and emotional worlds.
I’ve accrued over 20 years’ experience as a counselling practitioner supporting others experiencing common mental health difficulties and life’s complex conundrums.
In addition to my core qualification my extended studying and experience over the 20 years has been focused on supporting others heal from the impact of trauma and the extensive ripple effect this brings e.g. grief, loss and anxieties. I am a trauma trained, informed and experienced therapist.
In my role as Lead Counsellor at our local Children's Hospice; part of my week is spent supporting families experiencing the toughest of times, challenged with multiple and complex emotional needs, within a specialist trauma and bereavement counselling service. Supporting families caring for a precious loved one experiencing life-limiting, life-shortening, health challenges. Attending to parents and extended family members supporting a Child going through life-shortening illness, palliative care, death and the traumatic and painful bereavement process. A privileged role to support and witness the bravery, courage, resilience and post traumatic growth of our families.
Bringing together all my experience and knowledge to offer you the tools to understand, manage, accept and heal from the impact of, for example:
- Trauma - traumatic experiences and the difficulties you are left with.
- Historical childhood sexual abuse - Complex Post Trauma Stress Disorder (C-PTSD)
- Difficult relationships, betrayals, breakdown of trust and healing from Domestic Violence and/or narcissistic relationships
- Bereavement, by suicide, sudden death, Death of a precious Child, Spouse, Sibling and secondary losses and palliative care
- Anxiety disorders - social, health, generalised anxiety (GAD).
- Intrusive thoughts, and/or Post Trauma Stress Disorder
- Health, understanding new diagnosis, the 'different' you and adapting to multiple losses and multiple changes,
Perhaps you are seeking support because you feel lost, alone, not sure which way to turn not knowing what to do; or feeling sad and don’t know how you feel. Has your self-esteem and confidence dwindled, and you don't know how to get it back? Feeling stressed due to work related issues, do you need to be more assertive or your work-life balance to be different?
Facing difficult challenges can leave us feeling 'as if ' it's almost impossible to move or progress from feeling stuck or to be the person you’ve always wanted to be or make goals to work towards. You don't need to be alone when distressed, confused or bereft, together we will make sense of what's happening to you, rather than what's wrong with you. Traumatic experiences can leave us asking our self "what's wrong with me"? When in reality there is nothing wrong with you, you are experiencing all the "symptoms" of trauma. The you that you want and have dreamed about being is still inside you, just masked and blocked by the 'effects' of life conundrums. Together we will explore and find solutions you can live with more readily and/or find acceptance in things that can't be changed.
Because when you share with someone who is both experienced and skilled, who is non-judgmental, understanding and compassionate, you lighten your load in the toughest of times. I am here for you, will listen to you, hear you and support you to make sense of your experiences with compassionate care and attention.
Imagine having a dedicated confidential time and space to tell your life story, share your concerns and difficulties and be heard, understood, and accepted for who you are in the now .
The way I work
- Humanistic-Integrative Counselling Model, which means your therapy will be unique to you and your needs, as you grow and develop, your therapy will change and may include for example Person-Centred & Humanistic Therapies, Lazarus Multi-modal therapy including Cognitive & Behavioural Therapy (CBT), Solution Focused (SF) or Brief Interventions (BI). Trauma and Strength-based schools of thought and philosophy. Concepts from Transactional Analysis (TA), Parts and Inner Child work, working creatively with you, for you from heart and soul.
- Tailored to you and your needs - one step at a time, using a depth of awareness, experience and skills, offering you a grounding, presence of safety, clarity of your wants, needs and desires in the here and now, gently moving you forward as you grow and develop your self-awareness and understandings. Creating connections with self and others achieving peace of mind, a more resilient future, knowing what to do so you can meet daily challenges.
- Our sessions will support you to gain new insight, awareness, and skills, and offer you practical ‘tools’ which you can utilise. Empowering you to tap into your innate strengths (yes, they are there perhaps you haven’t noticed them yet) and maintain your overall mental and emotional well-being, long after therapy has ended.
I value autonomy, choice and personal integrity so won't tell you what to do; because I respect and trust you can make your own decisions and with a little new 'know how' to move towards and achieve your identified goals.
I am an Accredited member of British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy, MBACP (Accred). This means I have been assessed by my professional body BACP and achieved professional high standards of counselling practice. Made a commitment to ensuring I have the appropriate awareness, skills and knowledge to support clients, effectively, competently and to higher standards as a competent, ethical and independent practitioner.
Additionally rising to the challenge updating and adding to my competencies and undertaking training to offer Online & Telephone Counselling. This enables me to offer my services professionally and competently remotely. Recognised by my ethical body BACP and the Association for Counselling and Therapy Online (ACTO). I have gained the specific awareness, skills and knowledge to work as a practitioner with clients via telephone and e-counselling. This is important because whilst many say they offer on-line and telephone counselling its important you check they have the appropriate training to do so. You can be confident my remote services are as professional as in-person support.
Counselling is a life enriching process, and you will be enabling your healing, imagine being empowered, effective and competent in meeting your daily challenges, in a way that enhances all your relationships and decision making.
Engaging in a non-judgmental counselling relationship you will learn to set your own goals, resolve what concerns you. and realise your fullest potential. As such you will enjoy more spontaneity, happiness, creativity, and aliveness within your daily living – just imagine being your best Self all that you can be.
Together we can make a difference to and what you choose to do from here and now, you've everything to gain by contacting me today.
Training, qualifications & experience
Training including - not exhaustive:
- Generalised Anxiety Disorder (GAD) - Dr Steve Johnson
- Neurobiology of anxiety/ Polyvagal Theory
- Putting Polyvagal Theory into Practice - Deb Dana
- Essential Strategies for Creating Safety and Connection
- Complex Trauma Certificate 1 (C-PTSD) - Janine Fisher
- Working with the Neurobiological Legacy of Trauma = Janine Fisher
- Complex Trauma Certificate 2 (C-PTSD) - Janine Fisher
- Working with Complex Trauma & Dissociation
- Healing the Shame of Our Fragmented Self - Janine Fisher
- Internal Family Systems - Frank Anderson
- Dealing with Distress: Working with Suicide and Self-Harm
- Working with Relational Trauma & Disorganised Attachment
- Trauma & the Body - Somatisation and Dissociation
- Child Sexual Abuse - Hope for Healing (Carolyn Spring)
- Supporting victims of Sexual abuse (Victim Support)
- Supporting Victims of Domestic Violence (Victim Support)
- Safeguarding Adults (L3) (BBW Children Hospice)
- Safeguarding Children & Young People (L3) (BBW Children Hospice)
- Growing Around Grief: Implications for Practice - Master Class - (Dr Lois Tonkin)
- Certificate Bereavement Program (60 hours Cruse Bereavement Care)
- Trauma & Bereavement
- Mindfulness-Based CBT Diploma
- Post Traumatic Strength: Changing the Lens when working with Trauma)
- Couples & Family Therapy Diploma
- Online and Telephone Counselling (80 hours)
- Advanced Diploma in Therapeutic Counselling - CPCAB Humanistic
- Advanced Certificate Clinical Supervision L6 (including Online and Telephone working)
- Certificate in Counselling Supervision
- A Level Sociology
Gained over 20 years working with others who have experienced trauma, bereavement and loss and the wider impact these life experiences leave behind. In my private practice I support people suffering with many difficulties and concerns for example, relationship difficulties, all manner of anxieties, complex post-traumatic stress disorder (C-PTSD) from sexual abuse, domestic violence, illness or accidents. The many emotions evoked such as the pain of shame, guilt, low mood, low self-esteem or confidence.
I have volunteered at local charities including Cruse Bereavement Care, Doncaster Alcohol Services, Victim Support and Sure Start Children's Centre supporting others with a wide range of difficulties and concerns giving rise to emotional distress.
- Written, developed and facilitated a 6 monthly Psychoeducation Bereavement program to support families.
- Written, developed and facilitate professional workshops on self-care, vicarious trauma, anxiety awareness and management, building resiliency and raising awareness of relational dynamics.
- Accredited Bereavement Counsellor status (Cruse)
- Knowledge and skill are important, but it is of little use, unless it is applied to daily living. Personal experience has been my biggest teacher and continues to be so.
- No stranger to the journey you may be contemplating embarking upon; perhaps the only difference is I set sail before you, un-battened my hatches and am now the captain of my own ship, sailing in peaceful waters.
It is my belief ALL persons regardless of age, experience or capabilities can fulfill their fullest potential starting from where they are in the here and now.
This means YOU too
Contact me today to take the first step
BACP is one of the UK’s leading professional bodies for counselling and psychotherapy with around 60,000 members. The Association has several different categories of membership, including Student Member, Individual Member, Registered Member MBACP, Registered Accredited Member MBACP (Accred) and Senior Registered Accredited Member MBACP (Snr Acccred).
Registered and accredited members are listed on the BACP Register, which shows that they have demonstrated BACP’s recommended standards for training, proficiency and ethical practice. The BACP Register was the first register of psychological therapists to be accredited by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
Accredited and senior accredited membership are voluntary categories for members who choose to undertake a rigorous application and assessment process to demonstrate additional standards around practice, training and supervision.
Individual members will have completed an appropriate counselling or psychotherapy course and started to practise, but they won’t appear on the BACP Register until they've demonstrated that they meet the standards for registration. Student members are still in the process of completing their training.
All members are bound by the BACP Ethical Framework and a Professional Conduct Procedure.
Accredited register membership
The Accredited Register Scheme was set up in 2013 by the Department of Health (DoH) as a way to recognise organisations that hold voluntary registers which meet certain standards. These standards are set by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
This therapist has indicated that they belong to an Accredited Register.
Areas of counselling I deal with
Free initial telephone or online session
Concessions offered for
Counselling therapeutic hour: £40.00
I offer short-term and long-term counselling support and/or brief interventions as your needs require.
When I work
I book appointments mainly on Thursday, Friday and Sat morning, I can offer other evening appointments so please get in touch.
Warm regards Sue
Lots more information on my website you can explore my creativity, experience and knowledge to help you decide to make contact - copy and paste Website: www.pendulumofpeace.com
Thank you for visiting my profile if you feel we can work together for you to heal and to balance your health and well-being contact me today.
Warmest of regards