Every professional displayed on Counselling Directory has been independently verified by our team to ensure they have suitable credentials to practise.
This professional is available for new clients.
This professional is available for new clients.
I am here to assist you in finding your wholesome path through life's challenges and opportunities. In your inner and outer world you might experience feelings you wish to make sense of, including anxiety, anger, confusion, depression, illness, family discord, tension from opposing views, feeling stuck and sadly: bereavement. With my support you can work through these, coming out on the other side.
We may discuss your thoughts and feelings how to deal with practical issues, health issues, emotional and mental health, as well as spiritual and mindfulness related beliefs and experiences which you might be encountering and wish to explore for your greater well-being.
Please visit my website www.nicolarichter.com for my personal message to you about psychological wellbeing (check also out my blog on my website).
I offer you a friendly, genuine, professional and very experienced & effective service.
My holistic and interactive approach, is tailored to your individual needs to help you to: understand yourself and others more fully, work through patterns, make the changes in your feelings and thinking and behaviour, which you wish to make. Listening to you, appreciating you and valuing you for who you are, are key aspects of the therapy with me.
• You are in safe hands: as I have over 25 years of experience of making a difference to peoples lives • You can be assured by my credentials: I am a senior BACP accredited counsellor and psychotherapist, registered with UKCP, qualified as a psychologist with a Masters in Psychology • In addition you get from me up-to-date knowledge, as I trained others in counselling and psychotherapy as senior lecturer at University and I am a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy • Plus: with me you can get to work with a whole-hearted professional: I am immersed in the field, e.g. also through presenting at national and international conferences (Australia, Belgium, Denmark, Greece, Italy, Netherlands, New Zealand, USA, and: internationally online hosted in: China, New Zealand and USA).
Above all: I am human and talk with you in a warm, sensitive, compassionate and natural way. For me you are not a standard 'case', you are a unique person. I am here to help you, to access your own inner potential, to understand your life's lessons, to find your own answers and to experience deep contentment in living the life you know you could and wish to live.
OF BENEFIT TO YOU:
• Confidential, fully insured service for individuals and couples.
• An opportunity for you to explore: emotional, psychological and spiritual issues, without being judged.
• I assist you in the deepening of your awareness of yourself, your feelings, thoughts, behaviour, your past and current situation. Through gaining such deeper insight, I know from other 20,000 sessions with people, that you can gain more choice in your well-being.
• My work includes: identifying patterns which don't serve you anymore and finding ways how to learn and move on from experiences, towards hope and greater fulfilment in your life.
• We can talk face-to-face, and phone or Skype sessions are available too.
• I also offer clinical and research supervision for practitioners and trainees.
I enjoy assisting you to actually change what you would like to change in your life, your relationships, and within yourself. I am here to support you and encourage you to manage life's challenges and pains; how to build on your inner growth; and how to move towards your goals and purpose in life.
Worry and Anxiety, Depression, Suicide, Addiction, Wellbeing, Confidence, Relationships Issues, Couples Counselling, Marriage Preparation, Separation Counselling, Self-Esteem, Stress and Feeling Unsure or Stuck, Work, Suffering due to Oppression-Racism-Political Division, Loss, Bereavement, Crisis, Burnout, Transitions, Personal Growth, Life's Meaning, Conflicting Goals and Values, Conflict with Others and Within Oneself, Personality Changes, Communication Skills, Self-Love, Hope, Mindfulness, Spiritual Crisis, Finding Inner Strength, Resources-Activation, Unlocking your own Potential, ...
And: I presented at four international conferences on the psychological impact of the pandemic, with an emphasis on self-empowerment, holistic communication and bridging divisions.
USEFUL FOR YOU TO KNOW:
I like to assist you in gaining a deeper understanding, different views and ways to come to terms with your situation and to advance from it.
With understanding and insight, you are likely to see more choices in how you can react to things. I am interested in supporting you to access and clarify your own answers and how you can action them. I have witnessed over and over, that deeper insight into a situation, provides a sense of greater control over a persons own actions and reactions, and is a powerful means for living contently and meaningfully.
WHO I SEE:
I work with adults of any age. My clients come from all walks of life: creative industry - writers, actors, musicians, designers; homemakers; architects and interior designers; doctors; entrepreneurs; builders and handymen; athletes; computer experts; lawyers; therapists; pensioners; service personnel; office and retail workers; students; police officers; gardeners; teachers; ...
I am based in St. Albans (South Side, 5-7 min from motorways M1 Jct 6 and Jct 7 / M25 Jct 22 and Jct 21a).
Typically people come to me from St. Albans and the surrounding Hertfordshire areas, and also from London, Bedfordshire, Buckinghamshire, Middlesex, Essex, Hampshire, Surrey, Sussex and Berkshire.
Within walking distance: St. Albans Abbey Station, Buses S4 and S5 from St. Albans City station (trains from London Hampstead take 15 minutes) ; Bus 655 from Borehamwood (via Park Street).
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
HOW MANY SESSIONS ARE NEEDED?
Most people who come to me can already feel after the first session more hope and can see a difference in their feelings and thinking within 4-6 sessions.
I offer short-term, medium-term and long-term counselling and psychotherapy. My service is tailored to your needs, and the number of sessions depends largely upon your problems, e.g. is it something very specific, which has been very recent? - in which case you may come only for 2-4 sessions.
If you have things you want to talk about, which might have been going on for years and only now you are paying more attention to them, or if there is something about your personality or way of thinking and feeling you would like to change, this can take a couple of weeks, or months.
In some cases you may wish to come for a 'psychological maintenance', or have a 'general overhaul', a taking stock of your life, maybe finding new meaning, which can take months to years.
Training, qualifications & experience
Nicola Richter - Psychologist - Psychotherapist - Counsellor - Supervisor - Consultant
• Dipl.-Psych. - MSc - Masters in Psychology (specialised in: Clinical Psychology; Intervention Methods /Counselling & Psychotherapy; and Educational Psychology);
• PGDipHE - Postgraduate Diploma in Higher Education,
• MBACP (Senior Accredited) - British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy,
• UKCP Registered - United Kingdom Council for Psychotherapy,
• Member GMBPsS - British Psychological Society,
• Fellow FHEA - Higher Education Academy
• Member of the AHP - American Association for Humanistic Psychology
• Member ADPCA - Association for the Development of the Person-Centered Approach • Member WAPCEPC - World Association for Person Centred & Experiential Psychotherapy & Counselling
I am trained in humanistic person-centred counselling and psychotherapy (under the late Prof. Dr. Reinhard Tausch, friend and professional colleague of the founder of the approach: Prof. Dr. Carl Rogers).
For over 25 years I have successfully helped individuals and couples.
I have undertaken many additional trainings, CPD activities, and taught courses, including e.g.:
• Couple Counselling (e.g. University of Hamburg; Gottman Institute; Tavistock)
• Suicide Intervention
• Health Psychology
• CBT (my own way of working goes beyond the limitations of CBT)
• Medical Sociology
• Death, Dying and Grief
• Dream Work
• Stress-Management, Mindfulness, Relaxation & Meditation
• Building Compassion from the Inside Out (with Dr. Thupten Jinpa, former interpreter of HH the Dalai Lama).
In addition to offering you my services in private practice, I am also
registered health care provider as a psychotherapist for several MEDICAL HEALTHCARE INSURANCES:
• Exeter Family Friendly
• Helix Health
• Vitality Health (formerly: PruHealth)
• WPA and WPA Protocol
- please ask for details about other insurances.
Please make sure you arrange with your insurance the referral details.
SUPERVISION for other Practitioners:
I am a highly experienced supervisor and offer clinical supervision for counsellors and psychotherapists at all levels, beginners including trainees to fully established professionals. My supervisees have obtained e.g. BACP accreditation, HPC registration in their first attempt.
Further: I offer research supervision for: Diploma, Bachelor and Masters courses and students. The majority of my Masters students (over 70%) have obtained distinctions for their research work.
English - German
Being registered/accredited with a professional body means an individual must have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by their member organisation.
The UK Council for Psychotherapy (UKCP) is a leading professional body for the education, training and regulation of psychotherapists and psychotherapeutic counsellors. Its register is accredited by the government's Professional Standards Authority.
As part of its commitment to protect the public, it works to improve access to psychotherapy, to support and disseminate research, to improve standards and to respond effectively to complaints against its members.
UKCP standards cover the range of different psychotherapies. Registration is obtained by training or accrediting with one of its member organisations, or by holding a European Certificate in Psychotherapy. Accredited by the Professional Standards Authority.
BACP is one of the UK’s leading professional bodies for counselling and psychotherapy with around 60,000 members. The Association has several different categories of membership, including Student Member, Individual Member, Registered Member MBACP, Registered Accredited Member MBACP (Accred) and Senior Registered Accredited Member MBACP (Snr Acccred).
Registered and accredited members are listed on the BACP Register, which shows that they have demonstrated BACP’s recommended standards for training, proficiency and ethical practice. The BACP Register was the first register of psychological therapists to be accredited by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
Accredited and senior accredited membership are voluntary categories for members who choose to undertake a rigorous application and assessment process to demonstrate additional standards around practice, training and supervision.
Individual members will have completed an appropriate counselling or psychotherapy course and started to practise, but they won’t appear on the BACP Register until they've demonstrated that they meet the standards for registration. Student members are still in the process of completing their training.
All members are bound by the BACP Ethical Framework and a Professional Conduct Procedure.
Accredited register membership
The Accredited Register Scheme was set up in 2013 by the Department of Health (DoH) as a way to recognise organisations that hold voluntary registers which meet certain standards. These standards are set by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
This therapist has indicated that they belong to an Accredited Register.
Areas of counselling I deal with
Other areas of counselling I deal with
- Inner Strength Counselling, Building Inner Resources, Resilience, Positive Psychology
- Self-Acceptance, Self-Compassion
- Insights and Awareness and: how to action them
- Inner (and outer) Conflicts and Confusion
- Fear of Death, Suicidal Ideation
- Meaning in Life, Purpose in Life
- Transitions (e.g. motherhood; children leaving home; career change; life-style changes; retirement; illness; death and dying; separation; moving in together; pre-nuptial counselling, ...)
- Creativity, Writers Block, Performance Anxiety
- Trust (in self and others)
- Faith, Spirituality, Belief, Moral Issues
- Oppression, Racism
- Value Conflicts, Priorities Clarification
- Doubt and Assurance
- Anger, Responsibility and Compassion
- Couple Issues, Pre-Marriage Counselling, Separation Counselling, Communication Improvement, Child-Care Agreements
- Mindfulness - how to practice
- Becoming Unstuck from Patterns
- Maintaining Inner Balance
- Experiencing Contentment
- Relaxation, Meditation, Breathing Exercises, Health Psychology
- Life Style Changes, and how to implement them
- Managing Feelings and Emotions, such as Depression, Anxiety, Jealousy, Distrust, Stress
- Freedom and Responsibility
- Realisations - moving from re-actions to actions and choices based on deeper understanding of self and others
Please feel free to ask me about your particular area of interest
£90.00 per session
SESSIONS are available Mondays and Wednesdays from 10am to 6pm, Tuesdays from 9am to 5pm, Thursday from 9am to 1pm, at the fee of £90 for individuals. Couples £95. Fees for organisations, EAP, insurances on request.
Some clients find that e.g. fortnightly sessions work very well for them: a) as the sessions can often bring about powerful insights, and b) to cater for economic restrictions but still getting excellent service.
I am available to answer PHONE ENQUIRES, Mondays-Fridays between 10am-6pm. Should you get my voicemail, please leave a message with your phone-number, for confidentiality reasons the line does not record numbers. I always call back and as soon as I have time for us to talk. If you are at work, you can e.g. call me briefly during day-time so we can arrange for a time, when you can speak more freely.
My CONDITIONS OF WORK ARE FLEXIBLE
you can decide after each session, when you wish to come again. The frequency and number of appointments depend on your reasons for coming, finances, and practical arrangements, which might even change over time and can include e.g.:
• unburdening yourself and talking something over with an unbiased therapist, who truly listens to you
• overcoming obstacles & challenges and finding different views on a matter,
• understanding yourself and others better and making changes,
• working through patterns you might feel stuck in,
• 'maintenance' for dealing with life's stressors,
• or for general personal, professional, or spiritual growth.
The decision is yours.
When I work
SESSIONS TIMES OFFERED: Mon 10am to 6pm, Tues 9am to 5pm, Wed 10am to 6pm, Thurs 9am to 1pm.
PHONE ENQUIRIES: Mondays to Fridays from 10am to 6pm.
Sessions are in person AND also via Skype.
My clear and easy to comprehend approach is tailored to your individual needs and wants. Assisting you: in making changes happen, clarifying your own answers, accessing your inner strength and potential & translating insights into action and into your daily life. Feeling more content within yourself and fulfilled with your life.
I am up-to-date with latest developments, research and knowledge in counselling and psychotherapy. I am passionate about the profession (I love my work!) and maintain an attitude of awareness of what I do and its deeper meaning for your overall well-being.
EXPERIENCES THAT COUNT:
• 25 years experience of providing counselling and psychotherapy;
• over 20,000 hours of counselling provided;
• senior lecturer at Universities and Colleges, training people in the counselling and psychotherapy profession; offering specialist trainings (e.g. on Suicide Intervention at California State University, Northridge);
• presenter at national and international conferences (Australia, Europe, New Zealand, USA) and at international online conferences (hosted from China, New Zealand, USA); I have been on radio.
• published a number of articles and a book-chapter, and some of my work has been cited by others in journals and books.
• editorial reviewer for educational journal and Sage Publications book proposal.
• senior accredited and registered with the two main regulating bodies for counselling and psychotherapy in the UK (BACP & UKCP).
• approved provider for medical healthcare insurances (e.g. Aviva, AXA, Cigna, PruHealth, WPA).
• personal experience, in my eyes is essential next to the professional experience, as mentioned above, thus I have done a lot of work on myself as I want to offer you integrity when I am talking with you.
• day-time, lunch-hour and early evening appointments to choose from (first appointment starts at 9am, latest appointment starts at 5pm).
• flexibility of appointment frequency (whether once a week, fortnightly, monthly or any other rhythm - we do it the way it works best for you)
• short-term and long-term counselling and psychotherapy
• in addition to in person sessions, also: phone and Skype sessions available, if e.g. you travel, have work- or other commitments, are house-bound, shift-working, etc.
• full professional insurance
• sessions take place in a relaxing and comfortable atmosphere
• free parking at all times
I welcome to have a little chat with you on the phone - for free! (about 10 to 15 minutes) - to provide you with any additional details, and answer any questions you may have about my service or counselling and psychotherapy in general.
Please feel encouraged to call me to discuss, your needs, concerns or wants, or to book an initial appointment.
Just give me a call on: ( 0 1 7 2 7 ) 7 5 0 0 8 8
or email me if you prefer at: NicolaRichter@yahoo.com
I look forward to talking with you,
with warmest wishes,