Julia Buckroyd,Emeritus Professor of Counselling, Fellow BACP.
I am a therapist, author, trainer and broadcaster and have been working in the field of eating disorders for many years. I am Emeritus Professor of Counselling at the University of Hertfordshire, a member of UKCP and a Fellow of the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy.
How I work
I trained first as a counsellor and then as a psychotherapist and now work in an integrative way using elements from psychoanalytic, humanistic and cognitive practices.
I offer evidence based, innovative, time limited treatment for people with disordered eating. I can work with you if you are anorexic, bulimic or a compulsive eater or if you have other types of disordered eating, whether or not you have been formally diagnosed. I also work with people who are distressed by their body image and have poor self esteem.
What I can offer you
- Focal one to one therapy (currently online)for people seeking the resolution of specific problems and traumas affecting their eating behaviour
- One to one therapy using the Understanding your Eating Programme (www.understandingyoureating.co.uk)
- Support before and after surgery for bariatric patients.
- Online individual consultations for international clients and those unable readily to access my clinics.
How therapy might help you
Most of my clients come to understand that their eating behavour is driven by other anxieties and concerns. Once these have been addressed the eating behaviour most often normalises and ceases to be a problem. When you have dealt with the problems and triggers that lead you to misuse food you will gain confidence, have improved self-esteem and body image and be free of your compulsive behaviour.
Training, qualifications & experience
- Counselling training 1982-84 Birkbeck College, University of London
- Psychotherapy training 1989 - 1991 Guild of Psychotherapists, London
- Membership of UKCP 1991 - present
- Professor of Counselling, University of Hertfordshire 2002 - 2008
- Editor of the Counselling and Psychotherapy Research Journal 2004-2008
- Emeritus Professor of Counselling, University of Hertfordshire 2008 - present
- Fellow of the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy 2011
Many years of clinical experience from 1984 with clients suffering from every kind of disordered eating.
Extensive research experience within the field of disordered eating (for a list of publications see www.juliabuckroyd.co.uk),
My most recent book is 'Understanding Your eating: How to eat and not worry about it' (Open University Press 2011)- available from Amazon
Registered / Accredited
Being registered/accredited with a professional body means an individual must have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by their member organisation.
UK Council for Psychotherapy
The UK Council for Psychotherapy (UKCP) is a leading professional body for the education, training and regulation of psychotherapists and psychotherapeutic counsellors. Its register is accredited by the government's Professional Standards Authority.
As part of its commitment to protect the public, it works to improve access to psychotherapy, to support and disseminate research, to improve standards and to respond effectively to complaints against its members.
UKCP standards cover the range of different psychotherapies. Registration is obtained by training or accrediting with one of its member organisations, or by holding a European Certificate in Psychotherapy. Accredited by the Professional Standards Authority.
Accredited register membership
Accredited Register Scheme
The Accredited Register Scheme was set up in 2013 by the Department of Health (DoH) as a way to recognise organisations that hold voluntary registers which meet certain standards. These standards are set by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
This therapist has indicated that they belong to an Accredited Register.
Areas of counselling I deal with
Other areas of counselling I deal with
Bariatric surgery psychological support
- One to one sessions online - with Professor Julia Buckroyd: Assessment (60 minutes) £100 Sessions (60 mins) £80-£100
- A further concessionary rate is available for a limited number of clients
- Online one off consultation (60 mins) - £100
Currently all sessions are being conducted on line
Professor Buckroyd offers supervision on therapeutic work with eating disorders. She also offers training for therapists and health and social care professionals working with disordered eating: see www.juliabuckroydtraining.com
Professor Buckroyd also offers training on a programme of short term group and individual therapy for emotional eating/binge eating disorder, called Understanding your Eating. For further information see the website www.understandingyoureating.co.uk
Parking and transport
All sessions are currently being conducted online