Julia Buckroyd,Emeritus Professor of Counselling, Fellow BACP.
2 Fountain Court
07751 884748 / 07751 884748
I am a therapist, author, trainer and broadcaster and have been working in the field of eating disorders for many years. I am Emeritus Professor of Counselling at the University of Hertfordshire and a Fellow of the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy.
How I work
I trained first as a counsellor and then as a psychotherapist and now work in an integrative way using elements from psychoanalytic, humanistic and cognitive practices.
I offer evidence based, innovative, time limited treatment for people with disordered eating in St Albans, Herts. I can work with you whether you are anorexic, bulimic or a compulsive eater and whether or not you have been formally diagnosed. I also work with people who are distressed by their body image and have poor self esteem.
What I can offer you
- Focal one to one therapy for people seeking the resolution of specific problems and traumas affecting their eating behaviour
- One to one therapy using the Understanding your Eating Programme (www.understandingyoureating.co.uk)
- Support before and after surgery for bariatric patients.
- Online individual consultations for international clients and those unable readily to access my clinics.
How therapy might help you
Most of my clients come to understand that their eating behavour is driven by other anxieties and concerns. Once these have been addressed the eating behaviour most often normalises and ceases to be a problem. When you have dealt with the problems and triggers that lead you to misuse food you will gain confidence, have improved self-esteem and body image and be free of your compulsive behaviour.
Training, qualifications & experience
- Counselling training 1982-84 Birkbeck College, University of London
- Psychotherapy training 1989 - 1991 Guild of Psychotherapists, London
- Membership of UKCP 1991 - present
- Professor of Counselling, University of Hertfordshire 2002 - 2008
- Editor of the Counselling and Psychotherapy Research Journal 2004-2008
- Emeritus Professor of Counselling, University of Hertfordshire 2008 - present
- Fellow of the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy 2011
Many years of clinical experience from 1984 with clients suffering from every kind of disordered eating.
Extensive research experience within the field of disordered eating (for a list of publications see www.juliabuckroyd.co.uk),
My most recent book is 'Understanding Your eating: How to eat and not worry about it' (Open University Press 2011)- available from Amazon
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
Other areas of counselling I deal with
Bariatric surgery psychological support
- One to one sessions in St. Albans - with Professor Julia Buckroyd: Assessment (60 minutes) £100 Sessions (60 mins) £100-£130
- A further concessionary rate is available for a limited number of clients
- Online individual consultation (60 mins) - £75
Professor Buckroyd offers supervision on therapeutic work with eating disorders and training for health and social care professionals in working with this client group see www.juliabuckroydtraining.com
Professor Buckroyd also offers training on a programme of short term group and individual therapy called Understanding Your Eating. For further information see the website www.understandingyoureating.co.uk
Parking and transport
The clinic in Victoria Square in St. Albans is adjacent to the mainline station and central bus terminus as well as having parking available to clients.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Clinic in St. Albans Tuesdays and Fridays. Skype sessions may be available at other times.
Types of client