Gemma Holmes, Chartered Psychologist, CBT & EMDR Therapist, (CPsychol,MBABCP)
I am a Registered and Chartered Psychologist with the Health & Care Professionals Council (HCPC) and British Psychological Society (BPS). I am also an Accredited Cognitive Behavioural Psychotherapist with the British Association of Behavioural and Cognitive Psychotherapists (BABCP) and a qualified EMDR (Eye Movement Desensitisation and Reprocessing) Therapist.
I am the Clinical Lead and owner of Enlightened Psychology & Counselling Service (formerly Ayr Therapy & Consultancy) based in the centre of Ayr. From here, I offer a range of services including:
- Individual/Group/Couple therapy (face to face/or remotely)
- Psychological assessment and consultancy
- Education, coaching and training workshops
- Clinical supervision for other therapists.
I offer specialist, confidential, specifically tailored therapy for clients based on each individual's own unique needs and circumstances. I have undertaken extensive training in a number of psychological treatment approaches which means that I am able to use an integrative approach to therapy and treat a variety of difficulties including anxiety, depression, low confidence and self esteem issues, relationship problems, stress, phobias, anger problems, body image, self harming, abuse, trauma issues and more.
I provide therapy on a 1:1 basis, or in groups and also to couples/families. I also provide a remote therapy service (where appropriate) for clients via different methods including video/phone/instant messaging or email.
Psychological assessment and consultancy
I also provide Psychological assessments and reports for individuals and organisations ranging from assessments for general mental health and psychological functioning to specialist cognitive assessments for dyslexia and other educational/learning difficulties. People with dyslexia often mask their difficulties well but may be struggling unnecessarily. A comprehensive assessment can allow an individual to receive the support they need which will enable them to reach their full potential.
Education, coaching and training workshops
I can provide professional and CPD training courses and workshops on a range on mental health-related topics for individuals, groups and organisations and I also provide self-help courses for personal development. Courses can be delivered face to face or online only. Some examples include Mindfulness, CBT Skills, Counselling Skills, Weight-loss Programmes etc.
Clinical supervision for other therapists.
I am also able to offer an integrative approach to supervision for other psychologists/therapists, including specialist CBT supervision for other therapists and trainees. I have worked previously as a Clinical Supervisor on the Diploma in Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) at the Centre of Therapy in Glasgow, providing CBT supervision for student therapists.
Training, qualifications & experience
I have extensive experience of working with a wide variety of emotional and psychological problems, ranging in complexity from general issues of anxiety and depression to severe mental health problems. I have over ten years' experience of working in a private inpatient psychiatric service with adults with severe and enduring mental health problems and behaviours; where I completed my training as a Psychologist. My work here involved working on a 1:1 and group basis with patients, developing and coordinating therapeutic activities and interventions on inpatient wards and supervising other professionals in the delivery of psychological/therapeutic interventions.
I have developed and manage my own private therapy practice and I also have experience of working with children and adults in educational settings.
- Professional Qualification in Forensic Psychology
- MSc Applied Forensic Psychology
- Diploma in Counselling & Groupwork: A Cognitive Behavioural Approach
- Pg Cert. Psychology & Mental Health
- BSc Psychology (Hons)
Professional Therapy/Other Training
- Professional Certificate in the Supervision of Counsellors/Psychotherapists
- BPS Approved Certificate in Clinical Supervision
- Cognitive Behavioural Analysis System for Psychotherapy (CBASP)
- Compassion Focussed Therapy Skills
- Mentalization Based Therapy Skills
- CogMed Working Memory Coach Training
- An Introduction to the Theory & Practice of Schema Therapy
- Eye Movement Desensitisation and Reprocessing (EMDR)
- Trauma & The Body
- Dialectical Behaviour Therapy (DBT)
- Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (CBT) for Psychosis
- Certificate in Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT)
- RAID: Managing Challenging Behaviour; A Solution Focussed Approach
- Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training (ASIST)
- Motivational Interviewing
- Personality Disorder Awareness
- British Association of Behavioural and Cognitive Psychotherapists (BABCP) Accredited Member.
- British Psychological Society (BPS) - Chartered Psychologist - Full Member
- Division of Forensic Psychology (Full Member)
- Member of the Register of Psychologists Specialising in Psychotherapy
- Member of the Register of Approved Psychology Practice Supervisors (RAPPS) (Pending)
- Eye Movement Desensitisation and Reprocessing (EMDR) Association (Europe, UK & Ireland) - Qualified EMDR Therapist.
British Psychological Society
British Psychological Society
British Association for Behavioural and Cognitive Psychotherapies
The BABCP is the lead organisation for Cognitive Behavioural Therapy in the UK.
Membership is open to anyone with an interest in the practice, theory or development of CBT. BABCP also provides accreditation for CBT therapists.
BABCP accredited members adhere to the Standards of Conduct, Performance and Ethics in the Practice of Behavioural and Cognitive Psychotherapies, and are willing to be scrutinised in this adherence as required.
Areas of counselling I deal with
Other areas of counselling I deal with
I am a Qualified EMDR therapist having undertaken specialist training for the treatment of traumas. EMDR (Eye movement Desensitisation and Reprocessing) is a treatment that enables traumatic memories to be reprocessed so that they do not evoke such a strong, painful emotional reaction. Trauma memories can vary in severity, from what are termed big T's and little t's. Big T's might include memories of sexual of physical abuse, or witnessing a traumatic incident such as a fatal car accident. Little t's might be a succession of unpleasant memories such as being bullied at work, or humiliated in public. Both type's of trauma can be improperly processed in the brain causing emotional distress when recalled, which can impact on daily functioning. EMDR does not make the memory go away, but it can significantly reduce the intensity of the emotion that it creates.
Fees for self-funding/private clients cost £65 per hour for daytime individual therapy sessions and £70 for couples.
Fees for organisations (Solicitor/Insurance referrals, EAP's etc) can be discussed on request. All fees are subject to annual review.
I am an approved therapist with Aviva, AXA and BUPA insurance providers. Therefore if you have private medical insurance with these providers then you may be eligible for funding of your counselling fees. Please contact me for more information.
For Psychological assessments and training workshops - Please contact me to discuss your individual needs or visit my website training page to book available courses directly https://www.enlightenedpsyc.co.uk/training-cpd
Concessions offered for
I also offer both professional and personal development training courses and workshops in a variety of formats (including face to face or online/distance learning) for individuals and organisations on a range of psychology-related topics and mental health issues.
For Professional Development I offer training courses in:
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT)
- Counselling Skills
- Self Harm
- Personality disorders
- Psychosis & Schizophrenia
I also offer personal development/self help courses in:
- CBT Skills
- Anger Management
- Anxiety Management
- Improving Confidence/Self Esteem
- Emotion Regulation
- Improving Relationships
- Stress Management
- Building Resilience
Please contact me for more information, or visit my website training page to book available courses directly https://www.enlightenedpsyc.co.uk/training-cpd