Charlotte McLaughlin, MA (Hons), MA, UKCP and HCPC accredited
I am an experienced and fully accredited psychotherapist working with individuals, couples and groups in my London clinics, and further afield through my online practice. I support people with a wide range of issues, and have specialist experience in working with people with eating disorders (see my recent thoughts on the importance of early intervention), sexuality, intimacy and relationship issues.
I work from Harley Street [W1] and the City/Old Street [EC1]. I also offer sessions on skype for people who live outside of London or who travel a lot for work.
Prior to expanding my consultancy and practice full time, I was working as a senior therapist for a leading eating disorder outpatient service, working with many individuals and running groups on sexuality and relationships, mindfulness, and creativity. I have extensive experience of working in NHS mental health services, including working as a psychotherapist at Maudsley Hospital and an arts psychotherapist in two different NHS Trusts.
I completed a rigorous 4 year training in psychotherapy and hold an MA in Integrative Arts Psychotherapy from the Institute for Arts in Therapy and Education. I am accredited with UKCP and HCPC as a psychotherapist and arts psychotherapist. Since qualifying my learning and training has continued in all sorts of directions. I bring my enthusiasm for and love of this work into all my sessions.
As an integrative psychotherapist, I draw on a broad range of theories and styles (Gestalt, Psychoanalytic, Transpersonal, Attachment, Cognitive Behavioural) in order to create the right therapeutic approach for each individual. I am a passionate advocate for and teacher of mindfulness meditation and regularly interweave this into my work. My approach is active, empathic and relational.
My specialist clinical training and experience gained in different mental health settings coupled with my personal beliefs and interests have enabled me to develop my own unique approach to working therapeutically; a holistic and creative one which addresses the whole person.
I am passionate about my work and supporting people to heal, grow and thrive in their lives.
Training, qualifications & experience
- MA Integrative Arts Psychotherapy [distinction] - London Met
- Advanced Diploma Integrative Arts Psychotherapy [distinction] - IATE
- Diploma in the Therapeutic Application of the Arts - IATE
- MA (Hons) Social Anthropology, University of Edinburgh
- Foundation Diploma in Art and Design, Central St Martins
- Senior Therapist: Recover Clinic, London
- Psychotherapist: Maudsley Hospital, London
- Art Psychotherapist: South London and Maudsley NHS
- Art Psychotherapist: East London NHS
- Psychotherapist: St Joseph's Hospice
Additional Trainings in:
- Contemporary Trauma Practice
- Sexuality, Intimacy and Relationships Work
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Anger management
- Anorexia nervosa
- Attachment disorder
- Binge-eating disorder
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Bulimia nervosa
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Domestic violence
- Drug abuse
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Gender dysphoria
- Internet addiction
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
Other areas of counselling I deal with
Other areas I regularly support people with:
- Trauma treatment (developmental, attachment, abuse, shock)
- Relationship issues such as love, infidelity, co-dependence, sex and sexuality, intimacy, dating, ending unhealthy relational patterns, empowerment in sexuality.
- Existential issues such as lack of meaning, purpose, death, faith and spirituality.
- Enhancing creativity and vitality in life.
- Work and Life Passion: Many people come to me feeling despondent and lost in life, dissatisfied with their work life, and lacking in passion and hope for what may be possible in their life. It is possible for this to shift. I have supported many people to find their passion(s) in life and also new careers that are in alignment with this.
- Art therapy/Art psychotherapy
- Arts therapies
- Cognitive and behavioural therapies
- Couples counselling
- Existential therapy
- Family/systemic therapy
Photos & videos
£60 - £150 sliding scale
Health Insurance: I am registered with Aviva, Cigna and most other providers.
So where do I start?
There are so many therapists out there and finding the right therapist can feel very daunting and overwhelming for people. It's very important to choose the right therapist though. For this reason I offer an initial assessment consultation session. This provides you with an opportunity to meet me, find out more about the way I work, and for us both to get a sense of how it would be for us to work together.
It can also be very confusing to know what kind of help would best meet your needs. In the initial assessment consultation we can explore the reasons for your seeking therapy and the best format for this to take place. I am able to offer time limited short term programmes of sessions, long term, open ended psychotherapy and weekly group psychotherapy. The assessment is a longer session (lasting up to 75 mins) and takes place in one of my London clinics or on skype.
Booking the assessment consultation is the first step if you are considering starting work with me.
***I offer a free 30 minute phone consultation for anyone who would like to ask more questions before booking the initial assessment*** [please see http://therapyinlondon.uk/free-30-minute-consultation for more info and to book]
How do I find you?
Both my clinics in London are very centrally located.
My Harley Street clinic is a 5 min walk from Ox Circus and Bond St tubes
My City clinic is close to Old Street and Barbican tubes
My Skype practice is accessible to you from wherever you are!
I look forward to hearing from you by email or telephone and answering any further questions you may have about working with me.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Daytime and Eve appointments avail. City/Old Street Practice: AVAILABILITY, Harley Street Practice: FULL, Skype/Telephone: Availability. [updated November 2017]
Types of client