Ruth Murtagh- Relationship Counselling for Couples and Individuals: MA , MBCAP
I'M SORRY - MY CASELOAD IS CURRENTLY FULL.
All the best in your search for a counsellor.
Hello, I’m Ruth.
If you’re reading this, you may be feeling unhappy or wanting your relationship to be different.
You may be in a couple, wondering if you can rediscover the love you once had with your partner, or to find a different way forward.
You may be an individual, trying to cope with the loss of a relationship, or wanting to be able to find lasting love.
Perhaps there are relationships with your children or wider family, with friends or at work that upset you; or you are unhappy with your own behaviour.
If you long for a healthy relationship that doesn’t leave you feeling hurt, you are not alone. Many individuals and couples struggle with difficulties which can bring pain: leaving them feeling exhausted and stressed. After all, we’re not given a relationship manual when we’re born.
Here are some of the reasons why couples or individuals come for relationship counselling:
- Feeling stuck in a cycle of bickering and not sorting the issues out.
- Feeling alone whether you’re in or out of a relationship
- Relationship issues causing an unsatisfying sex-life
- Feeling that you/ your partner don’t meet each-others’ needs
- Finding it hard to forget the pain you or your partner have experienced earlier in your relationship
- Feeling insecure with your partner; afraid they might want to leave you
- Thinking that there are too many demands made of you, or that you're not listened to
- One or both of you lack trust in the other, or feel criticised
- Having adopted children and needing some relationship support for yourselves as a couple
Relationship counselling provides you with a safe, confidential space to talk with your partner in a supportive, non-judgmental environment. It can support you to:
- Develop closeness, trust and intimacy within an emotionally safe relationship with your partner
- Resolve conflict more helpfully and bring you closer to your partner
- Understand your own and your partner’s needs better, and how they can be met
- Create a more relaxed and satisfying sex-life
- Be happier with yourself, and improve relationships with family, friends, or at work.
All couples or individuals are welcome- any age, culture, religion, LGBTQ or physical ability.
I can support you if you’re a parent:
- Wanting to improve your relationships with your children
- Finding the behaviour of your children difficult to understand or manage
- Finding that the issues with your children are impacting on you as a couple, or other relationships
- Wanting more confidence with parenting your children
You don’t have to deal with difficult and painful issues alone. I can support you to develop the relationship that you want.
I will listen carefully and will not judge you. I do not take sides.
I have 30 years’ experience working in the caring professions as a Teacher, Art Therapist and Relationship Therapist at Relate and in Private practice. I work inclusively, embracing the difference and diversity of all people.
I am genuinely passionate about helping couples and individuals move out of destructive and painful patterns of relating with each other. I can help you to deal with some of the difficult issues that you may be dealing with right now.
I really care about all of my clients and tailor my approach to suit each person’s/ couple’s unique needs.
I do understand that it can be daunting making that first contact, but in some ways, that's the hardest bit. You may wish to have one session, a few, or leave it open. It's up to you.
Feel free to:
- Text me on 07936 705 515
- Call and leave a message on 07936 705 515, or
- Email me using the buttons at the top or bottom of my profile.
I will get back to you within 1-2 days and arrange to call you for a free 15 minute chat, so that you can tell me a bit about your issues and then you can decide if you'd like to meet me for a session.
Relate -Register of Counsellors
Member of The Association of Family Therapists
Training, qualifications & experience
- MA (Relationship Therapy) with Distinction, (Relate Institute, University of Hull, 2015).
- Post Graduate Diploma in Relationship Therapy, (Relate Institute, University of Hull).
- Post Graduate Diploma in Art Therapy, (University of Hertfordshire, 1998)
- Introduction to Counselling, (Birkbeck College, London, 1993)
- B.Ed. (Hons), University of Nottingham Trent, 1988.
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Asperger's syndrome
- Attachment disorder
- Child related issues
- Family issues
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Relationship issues
Other areas of counselling I deal with
I also have a special interest in supporting parents to have more positive relationships with their children.
Per hour: Daytime/ Evenings
£50- Couples/ Individuals (One Hour)
£45- Lower income
Free roadside parking.
Bus routes 2 and 12 to and from Leeds centre run regularly.
I have a wheelchair accessible, lovely counselling room with a separate entrance. It is purpose built and discreetly situated on a peaceful road.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
I offer daytime and evening appointments.
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|