Marie Gibson MBACP, Dip. Couns, BA (Hons) RNLD
Working from my practice in Horwich, Bolton: I am a qualified and registered Person Centred Counsellor and experienced Integrative Counsellor.
Many people have times in their lives when they may feel stressed, depressed or overwhelmed and need someone to talk to. Counselling can be an opportunity to meet with someone, who, because of their neutrality is able to help you gain more balanced and objective perspectives, challenge negative thinking, and realise positive change.
I am a Counsellor because I consider it a real privilege to be allowed to listen to another person’s story; to help persons through a time of difficulty or to gain new understanding of how they act in specific situations. To be able to have a person share with me and find within themselves the resources necessary and a way of moving on with their lives. I would be humbled and honoured if you would allow me the privilege of hearing your story and joining you on your journey.
My core approach is based on Person Centred Counselling; this means I will try and understand, your world as you see it; without criticism, or judgment. I will do what I can to offer you a space where you can feel valued and respected. I may also use my further training in Cognitive Behaviour Therapy, Solution Focused Therapy, Mindfulness and NLP as ways in which to work with you to find an approach that suits you.
I have worked extensively in the caring profession for over 18 years, as a Nurse within NHS mental health and learning disabilities services and in the Private and Charitable sectors. Working with both adults, and child and adolescent services. I am able to draw upon a wealth of experience I have gained from working in a variety of settings including a Therapeutic Drug and Alcohol Community, Young Persons Mental Health, Women's Services and Family Centre. I also have a specialist interest in working with persons who are on the Autistic Spectrum and their families. I have an appreciation of how sensory difficulties can cause suffering and problems for those on the spectrum, and wish to reassure anyone whom may be thinking of coming to see me that I will do whatever I can to help you feel comfortable and to support you with whatever issues you want to discuss.
I am skilled in working with the complex and painful issues that underlie low self-esteem, depression, anxiety and relationship difficulties. I recognise and understand how these problems can lead people to experiencing stress related symptoms which include change in sleep patterns, fatigue, difficulties in concentration and feeling out of control. My integrative counselling approach include two streams, firstly exploring ways to help you reduce these symptoms and secondly ways in which you may discover any unrealised potential and possibilities for yourself that you may previously have not considered or been aware of.
I am an experienced couple’s counsellor, with training in the Developmental Model; from the Couples Institute. My work with you both as a couple is to help you find those keys to communicating more effectively.
The stresses of work, finances, children, family and health can place immense strain on any relationship.
Couples often come with feelings of anger, resentment, frustrations, thoughts of betrayal and secrets; that have damaged sexual or intimate relationships and which may have left you feeling isolated or rejected from your partner.
I provide a caring and supportive environment in which to work with you both in helping to understand the patterns that have emerged, and find new perspectives and a way to a more intimate and committed relationship.
Some couples may find individual work helpful alongside the couples therapy and I would discuss with you how this may occur.
Couples facing separation and divorce may also find couples counselling helpful; in understanding and finding a way through feelings of anger and sadness that may come with a separation. It can also facilitate ways of creating a new relationship that supports the needs of children
- "Marie has given me the gifts of acceptance understanding and emotional support. Having Marie as my counsellor has enriched my life".
- “I now use strategies such as mindfulness meditation and elements of CBT to assist me in making changes to the way I deal with stressful events in my hectic life. Since engaging in counselling with Marie, I have found a new lease of life and am now confident enough to be going on a round the world trip on my own next year.”
- “If you are considering counselling for yourself, I highly recommend giving Marie a call, you will be in very good hands and will not regret it.”
- “I just wanted to thank you for the work you've done with S over summer. We have seen a big improvement in him and that he is feeling much more positive about things. So thanks again and I'm really pleased we found you. ”
- “…she always asked questions to help me work out my issues. I found that extremely valuable as I had to find the answers from within myself rather than been given to me. She helped me see the improvement I had made throughout the weeks and months: she also gave me lots of tools and strategies to use when dealing with certain situations.”
(for full testimonies see website)
Training, qualifications & experience
- Diploma of Higher Education in Counselling
- ABC Level 3 in Counselling Skills
- Manchester Course in Group Psychotherapy
- Professional Certificate in the Therapeutic Use of Mindfulness
- Transactional Analysis 101
- BRIEF - Solution Focused Brief Therapy
- MHS 342 Core Principles and Practice in Cognitive Behaviour Therapy
- Working with Self Harm
- Couples Institute: Therapist Training, Developmental Model
- ENB N47 Care and Management of People with a Learning Disability who present with Mental Health Problems
- BA (Hons) Nursing Studies (RNLD)
- Substance Misuse - From Understanding to Action
- LDS 248 - Principles and Practice of Working with People with Autistic Spectrum Disorders
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Domestic violence
- Drug abuse
- Emotional abuse
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Panic disorder
- Personality disorders
Other areas of counselling I deal with
Autistic Spectrum Disorder (ASD)
No fee for initial 30min consultation (without obligation) £15 if you chose to stay for the hr On the consultation appointment.
Individual Counselling Fee £35 for 50 minutes.
Couples Counselling £40 for 50 minutes or £50 for 80 minutes
Company fees are negotiable
You may have concerns or queries about counselling or the process involved. Please contact me in confidence by phone or email for any help or information.
I am a full Member of the British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP) and am in the process of Accreditation. I work in line with their Ethical Framework for good Practice.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Monday 8am-8.30pm Tuesday 5.30- 8.30pm