Karen Hodgson UKCP MBACP; MA(Ed); PGD(Psych); EMDR Accred; Dip Couns; PG(Hyp)
If you have skype installed you can select the link below to call Karen Hodgson UKCP MBACP; MA(Ed); PGD(Psych); EMDR Accred; Dip Couns; PG(Hyp).
To install skype click here
Welcome! I am an experienced Psychotherapeutic Counsellor (1999); Accredited Eye Movement Desensitisation & Reprocessing (EMDR, 2011); Registered Hypnotherapist & Hypno-Psychotherapist (2004), Registrant of the United Kingdom Council for Psychotherapists, (UKCP, 2009) and Registered with the Complimentary & Natural Healthcare Council (CNHC, 2010). I am also a registrant of the BACP Register of Counsellors and Psychotherapists.
I am RELATE Trained & a RELATE Certified Relationship & Couple's Counsellor, (2003); Online Therapist (2006) & Emotional Freedom Technique (EFT, 2010) Practitioner. I have a Diploma in Clinical Casework Supervision (2002) and a degree in Psychology, (2003).
I have worked with individuals and couples in ongoing private practice since 2001.
I have a full CRB check.
WHAT DO I SPECIALISE IN?
I work with a range of issues including relationship issues, post traumatic stress; bereavement/grief & loss; depression/low mood; confidence and self-esteem issues; opposite and same sex couple counselling, issues around affairs/betrayals; parenting and second/conjoined families; (psycho) sexual related issues including confusion around sexual orientation; separation & divorce; stress & work-based stress; anxiety including social anxiety, anger management; pain management & preparation for labour; low mood, low self-esteem/confidence; loss of direction & meaning in life, career and life stage transitions, retirement, redundancy & the empty nest syndrome.
Some of the trauma work I undertake include road traffic accidents; accidents within the workplace; suicide; grief and loss, victims of crime; victims of child sexual abuse and sexual assault.
I also use as appropriate to your unique needs a combination of Hypnosis and EMDR treatment working with pain - including IBS - phobias and fears; addictions/compulsions, (e.g smoking, over or under eating, addiction to pornography, gambling, nail-biting, fear of wasps/spiders etc.).
I am a:-
- Full Registrant of the United Kingdom Council for Psychotherapy, (UKCP, since 2009)
- MBACP member of the British Association of Counselling & Psychotherapy, (BACP, since 1999)
- Member of the Complementary & Natural Healthcare Council for Hypno/Psychotherapy (CNHC, since 2011)
- Fellow of the National Council for Hypno/Psychotherapists, (NCHP, since 2004); (FNCHP, since 2011)
- Accredited Member of the EMDR Association, (UK, & Ireland, since 2011)
- THERAPY MODES
I offer : -
- Face to face talking therapy for both individuals and/or couples.
- EMDR & Hypnosis for individuals
- Online counselling psychotherapy to suitable individuals via e-mail or/and instant skype text chat and/or in combination with face to face counselling.
- Short/Medium & Longer term therapy.
WHAT IS MY AIM?
Working alongside you, my aim is to put you at ease, providing a confidential and contained environment for you to discuss your issues openly without judgement.
I strive towards the provision of a safe, (yet challenging), non-judgemental, (yet congruent), therapeutic treatment, which will hopefully be mutually maintained between us.
To facilitate the process of self-acceptance and enable change to take place, I also honour the healing power of the therapeutic relationship between client and therapist.
By formulating your realistic goals and exploring your thoughts, values, feelings and behaviours, I encourage you to be yourself and explain what is troubling you most at this time. The overall intention is to help you to help yourself and to enhance your mental health & personal well-being.
WHAT SUPERVISION DO I HAVE?
As part of working ethically and within the confines of the Code of Ethics I adhere to, I have regular ongoing supervision with three separate supervisors:- (a trained Hypno/Psychotherapist, a NHS Clinical Psychotherapist/Sex Therapist;an EMDR Consultant/Psychologist).
WHAT DOES THERAPY OFFER YOU?
People generally seek out psychotherapy with a need to alleviate some current, on-going stressor, change behaviour and/or to address the root of a problem. The therapy will essentially assess where you are now in relation to what you want to achieve, formulate specific and realistic goals, and facilitate the process of you achieving these goals, finding a more satisfying pathway. The aim is to to put you (the client) in touch with yourself so that you can make necessary changes and work towards a process of self-empowerment. I consider that the therapist is responsible to you and not for you.
MY PERSONAL PHILOSOPHY IS:-
Respect, compassion, patience, empathy and appropriate challenge to aid personal awareness are running themes throughout my work. I encourage you to determine the direction of therapy, putting you at the centre of therapeutic encounter.
WHO I AM?
I am an Integrative Counsellor/Psychotherapist which means I use a combination of approaches that best suit your needs.
My main approaches to the therapeutic process include person centred, psycho-dynamic, systemic, E.M.D.R. and Hypnosis, some of which may be integrated into the therapeutic treatment as appropriate, and with your informed consent.
I began my training in 1997 and qualified as a person-centred counsellor in 1999. I have worked as a counsellor in a variety of settings including:-
- Well Women's Centre
- Male Prison
- Bereavement Centre (CRUSE: Supervisor & Bereavement Counsellor)
- RELATE (Relationship & Couples Counsellor)
- Student Services (UCLAN)
- Employment Assistance Programmes & Insurance Agencies
- and for various organisations Offering therapeutic assistance to their employees (Freelance)
MY PATHWAY INTO COUNSELLING/PSYCHOTHERAPY
During the late 1980's to mid 1990's I was employed as a p/t Lecturer in several Further & Higher Education teaching establishments where I taught Business & Management Studies and Leisure & Tourism & Sports Management. From this I developed an interest in working with some of the emotional needs of students. I think this is where the seed for entering into the psychotherapy and counselling arena first originated. I also believe that therapeutic counselling is a psycho-educative process.
After qualifying as a person-centred counsellor in 1999, I developed further interest in how client's presenting issue(s) impact on other family members, particularly in couple relationships, and began my training in Couple and Relationship Counselling (opposite and same sex) with Relate in 1999 where I worked until early 2004.
My background in psychodynamic theory has informed me of the importance the subconscious plays in our behaviour and habits. My developed interest in the subconscious encouraged me to train as a HYPNO/ PSYCHOTHERAPIST in 2003.
In 2010 and 2011, I trained and incorporated a psychotherapeutic technique known as Eye Movement Desensitisation and Reprocessing (EMDR) into my practice. I am now an accredited EMDR therapist with the EMDR Association (Ireland & UK).
THE INITIAL CONSULTATION
Prior to commencing the therapeutic process, you are asked that you attend an initial consultation (first session). This will last up to 60 minutes. There is a fee for this. (Please refer to my fees). The aim of the initial consultation is to :
- Provide a framework for the therapeutic work and a starting point to help you to better manage your presenting issues.
- Enable you to get a feel for what counselling/psychotherapy involves and how it may help your specific needs.
- Enable you to ask any questions or raise any concerns before making an informed commitment to attend further sessions.
- Offer space and time to discuss the practicalities of counselling such as cancellations, fees, confidentiality and the general rules that both client and counsellor must abide by.
- To enable me as your Therapist to make an assessment of your presenting problems and for us to identify the main goals you have for future sessions.
- To ascertain the suitability of the possible length of therapy.
- More importantly, this initial session is designed for you to make an assessment of me and to decide if you can work with me. Attending an initial assessment does not mean that you are obliged to continue with the therapy.
I have a keen interest in research around self-harm, trauma & pain management.
My personal interests include travelling to cities & travel in general, learning french, skiing, practising yoga, writing, engaging in personal developmental activiites, and keeping fit through running. I have developed a bit of a Marathon bug of late. My first Marathon was in Edinburgh (May 2010). I enjoyed it so much that I ran the Dublin Marathon, (Oct 2010), Rome Marathon, (March 2011), Vienna (April 2011), & Jersey Marathon, (Oct 201) - where I got my personal best time & the Paris marathon (April 2012).
EXPERIENCE OF LIVING ABROAD
I have experienced living in France & speak reasonable French. I have an appreciation of the French culture and understand the French language far better than I can speak it !
MY THERAPY ROOM
I work from a comfortable, spacious, well equipped dedicated counselling room which is situated inside my home. The room is easily accessed being to your immediate left upon entry. The room has plenty natural light. There is artifical recessed lights, dimmer controlled. All windows have adjustable blinds. It is central heated with an added flame effect gas fire. There is easy access to a washroom facility and parking spaces closeby.
I do not have a waiting room and therefore ask that you do not arrive early for your appointment.
There are no stairs to negotiate.
There is usually sufficient DISABLED access to the counselling room.
The bathroom facilities are not suitable for disabled access in a wheelchair.
Training, qualifications & experience
- Certificate of Proficiency awarded by the BACP REgister of Counsellors and Psychotherapists (2013)
- Accredited member of the EMDR Association, (UK, & Ireland, 2012)
- Trained in Eye Movement Desensitisation and Reprocessing, (EMDR Europe/Ireland, 2011)
- Registered with the United Kingdom Council for Psychotherapy (UKCP, 2009) (Hypno/Psychotherapy Section)
- Audited and audit approved by the UKCP (April 2010)
- Advanced Diploma in Hypno/Psychotherapy, (ADHP) by NCHP (2009)
- onlinecounsellors.co.uk (online counselling training), (2006)
- Post Graduate Diploma in Hypno/ Psychotherapy, Centra Training (2004)
- Certificate in Basic Sexual and Relationship Therapy, UCLAN (2004)
- Relate Certificate in Marital and Couple Counselling Theory and Practice, RELATE (2003)
- Cruse Bereavement Care Accredited Counsellor (Chorley & S. Ribble) (2003)
- Cruse Bereavement Care Supervisor (Chorley & S. Ribble) (2002)
- Diploma in Casework Supervision, PCCS awarded by ABC (2002)
- Post Graduate Diploma in Psychological Studies, UCLAN (2001)
Advanced Diploma in Person Centred Counselling, Wigan & Leigh College, Centra (1999)
- Post Graduate Certificate in Professional Studies in Education, Open University, (2004)
- Masters Degree in Education, Open University, (1996)
- Bachelor of Arts in Business Studies, Lancashire Polytechnic, (1990)
- Certificate in Education (FE) Bolton Institute of Higher Education awarded by the Victoria and Salford University, (1988)
- HNC Business & Management Studies (Bolton Institute of Higher Education)
CONTINUOUS PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT 2009-2011
- Effective Anger Management, (2009)
- Understanding Identity, Exploring Differences and Challenging
- Nurturing Young People's Mental Health through the Counselling
- Exploring Creative Ways of Building on Young People's Resillience, (2009)
- Exploring Trauma Faced by Young People, (2009)
- Good Practice in Counselling Assessment, (2009)
- EMDR Practitioner, (2010, 2011)
- Working with Dissociation (2011)
- Understanding and Working with Self-Harm (2011)
- EMDR Workshop & Conference (Durham, 2011)
- Emotional Freedom Techniques (EFT) Levels I & II (2011)
- Body Image Disturbance in Eating Disorders & the Application of EMDR in Treatment (2011)
- Dissociation, Trauma and Time-Travelling or Living and Working with Dissociative Identity Disorder (2011)
- Hypnosis for Fertility easybirthing (2012)
- Mindfulness (2012)
- EMDR for veterans (2013)
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Adoption issues
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Child related issues
- Couples counselling
- Emotional abuse
- Generalised anxiety
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder
- Panic disorder
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder
- Postnatal depression
Other areas of counselling I deal with
Ageing and mid-life crisis and life transitions.
Separation/Divorce and impact on family system
Work/Home life balance
Confusion around sexual orientation
Raising low mood.
Counselling for the elderly.
- Performance anxiety
- Presentation anxiety
- Weight loss
- Pain management
- Confidence building
- Smoking Cessation
- Fears and phobias
|loss of a loved one
injury of a loved one
witness to violence
victims of violent crimes
anxiety or panic
post traumatic stress
brooding or worrying
- Initial consultation (first session for all individuals £50.00 (60 mins.) & for a couple focus £60.00 (60 mins)
- Individual psychotherapeutic counselling £50.00 (60 mins)
- Hypno/Psychotherapy £50.00
- EMDR £50.00 (60 mins).
- Smoking Cessation £100.00 up to 1.5 hours
- Couple Counselling & Psychosexual Counselling £60.00 (60 mins)
- Organisations (off-site) £60.00 for a 60 minute session.
- Insurance companies: £90.00 including an initial assessment report and brief interim reports.
- For online counselling live skype and email counselling go to www.karenhodgson.com for rates and terms and conditions.
CANCELATION & CONFIDENTIALTY POLICY
Although I do understand that cancellations are inevitable at times, I do ask that you attend your booked session(s). If you do need to cancel and rebook a session, I charge the full cost of a session for all cancellations made with less than 48 hours notice.
I adhere to a strict code of ethics. The information you provide during the session(s) will remain confidential, unless in certain rare circumstances where there is concern for your safety or that of others.
More details will be provided during the Initial Consultation.
Payment can be made via:-
- Paypal (please send an email to email@example.com to ask for a request for payment
- Google (please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to ask for a request for payment.
- Bank Transfer
A receipt will be provided once your therapy sessions have come to an end and is usually sent to you via email.
WHAT IS EMDR?
EMDR stands for Eye Movement Desensitisation & Reprocessing. It is a psychotherapeutic procedure that originated during the '80's in the United States, designed to treat traumatic or dysfunctional memories and experiences, and their psychological consequences. In addition, it is now used for a variety of symptoms including bullying, harassment, accidents, victimisations, grief, anxiety, panic disorders, pain, sexual dysfunction and a wide range of experientially based disorders. It is a recommended treatment for Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, (PTSD), by The National Institute of Clinical Excellence, (NICE).
EMDR may be used as a stand alone treatment by itself, and/or or as an adjunctive therapy alongside "talking therapy" and/or hypnosis.
One unusual element in EMDR is bilateral stimulation, usually in the form of eye movements, or bilateral auditory or tactile stimulation. There is a great deal of evidence that bilateral stimulation speeds up the reprocessing of disturbing emotional or traumatic material, and at the same time helps you, the client, feel safer in making contact with traumatic material. A number of replicated research trials have demonstrated that eye movements reduce the vividness of emotional and traumatic imagery. It is believed that the eye movements induced in EMDR, mirror the natural eye movement process that occurs in the REM (Rapid Eye Movement) phase of sleep, during which information is processed naturally.
An EMDR therapist should always firstly carry out a careful psychological assessment of whether EMDR would be suitable for the problem (s) presented, and will elicit a memory representing the problem. You will be asked for a picture that represents the memory, a negative belief that you have about yourself in relation to the memory, and to notice associated physical sensations. Thereafter, a number of sets of eye movements or other bilateral stimulation are commenced, and after each set of eye movements the therapist will ask you what you have noticed. Typically, the images, emotions, and sensations experienced change through this process. At some point these changes become more positive and adaptive as you reprocess old dysfunctional information and connect with presently held adaptive and functional information. The aim is always to enable you to recollect the original traumatic material without disturbance and to have new and more adaptive beliefs about themselves in relation to the experience.
With "simple" or "one off" small "t" traumas EMDR can be remarkably rapid in its effects. More "complex" big "T" trauma, and/or multiple trauma treatment can take much longer.
Many insurance providers that cover standard counselling & psychotherapy, also cover EMDR services. Please contact your insurance carrier for further information.
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Available 9 am until 9 pm Monday to Thursday. You can book a session online if you prefer by going directly to my website www.karenhodgson.com
Supervision & training