Karen Hodgson MA(Ed) UKCP/MBACP Counsellor/Supervisor Relate Trained EMDR Accred
0759 5509 053 / 0759 5509 053
Welcome! I am a very experienced counselling psychotherapist based in Eccleston, Chorley. I have engaged in many thousands of counselling practice hours and have worked in private practice since 1999. I specialise in trauma and relationship counselling, yet also work extensively with many other presenting issues including, stress, anxiety and depression. I am a qualified Person-Centred counsellor; an Accredited trauma therapist, trained in Eye Movement Desensitisation & Reprocessing (EMDR); a Relate trained couple & relationship therapist and a qualified Hypno/Psychotherapist. I have also trained in Emotional Freedom Technique (EFT) levels 1 & 2. (2010). I have a clear enhanced CRB check which expires in 2017.
Therapy involves dealing with unresolved issues that are causing disturbances to your everyday life.
My role is to facilitate you in your search for resolutions to these disturbances.
I believe that the quality of the therapeutic relationship is an essential ingredient in successfully working through your presenting issues
I am easy to talk to and endeavour to make you feel relaxed and comfortable enough to explore your issues in a a calm and impartial environment without judgement. I am warm, empathic yet gently challenging where necessary to help you create a better insight into your presenting issues.
I pride myself on being a reflective practitioner. I regularly update my own skills/expertise in line with ethical requirements to not only develop my personal development, yet also to improve my professional skills.
WHAT DO I SPECIALISE IN?
I work with a range of issues including:- relationship issues (opposite and same sex) couple counselling; domestic violence and/or safety issues; symptoms of post traumatic stress/trauma; bereavement/grief & loss; depression/low mood; poor confidence and low self-esteem; trust issues, infidelity and betrayals; resolving anger; parenting and conjoined families; (psycho) sexual related issues including sex addiction, confusion around sexual orientation; separation & divorce; stress & work-based stress; anxiety including social anxiety, pain management & preparation for labour; loss of direction/meaning in life, career and life stage transitions; retirement, and ageing; redundancy; the empty nest syndrome.
I am an EMDR practitioner working with a variety of issues including including road traffic accidents; accidents or accidental death in the workplace; the aftermath of a suicide; grief and loss, victims of crime; victims of child sexual abuse and sexual assault.
In accordance to your unique needs I can integrate a combination of Hypnosis and EMDR treatment as an adjunct to your therapy. This may include work around pain management, symptoms of IBS, psycho-sexually related pain; phobias and fears; addictions/compulsions, (e.g smoking, over or under eating, addiction to pornography or sex addition, gambling, nail-biting, fear of wasps/spiders etc.).
Relationship issues are a common cause of emotional distress. A solid understanding of why difficulties arise can be very beneficial in getting a relationship back on track.
I have been formally trained and certified by Relate as a Couple's Counsellor and have worked with several thousand couples since commencing my training in1999. I offer one hour weekly sessions to couples to help them address a whole range of issues within their relationship, including affairs, difficulties with communication and
I also offer intensive one and two day Couple's therapy for you and your partner. These days are tailored to support you as a couple in this process of change.
Workshops on relationship counselling
I run half day workshops for people who are trying to get over a broken heart and find they are repeating patterns of behaviour within relationships. If you are interested in attending, please email me for further details.
I am a:-
- Full Registrant of the United Kingdom Council for Psychotherapy, (UKCP, since 2009)
- MBACP member of the British Association of Counselling & Psychotherapy, (BACP, since 1999)
- Member of the Complementary & Natural Healthcare Council for Hypno/Psychotherapy (CNHC, since 2011)
- Fellow of the National Council for Hypno/Psychotherapists, (NCHP, since 2004); (FNCHP, since 2011)
- Accredited Member of the EMDR Association, (UK, & Ireland, since 2011)
- Registrant of the BACP Register of Counsellors and Psychotherapists (since 2013)..
- THERAPY MODES
I offer : -
- Face to face talking therapy for both individuals and/or couples.
- EMDR & Hypnosis for individuals
- Online counselling psychotherapy via e-mail or/and instant skype text chat and/or in combination with face to face counselling for indidivduals.
- Short/Medium & Longer term therapy.
WHAT IS MY AIM?
Working alongside you, my aim is to put you at ease, providing a confidential and contained environment for you to discuss your issues openly without judgement.
I strive towards the provision of a safe, (yet challenging), non-judgmental, (yet congruent), therapeutic treatment, which will hopefully be mutually maintained between us.
To facilitate the process of self-acceptance and enable change to take place, I also honour the healing power of the therapeutic relationship between client and therapist.
By formulating your realistic goals and exploring your thoughts, values, feelings and behaviours, I encourage you to be yourself and explain what is troubling you most at this time. The overall intention is to help you to help yourself and to enhance your mental health & personal well-being.
WHAT SUPERVISION DO I HAVE?
As part of working ethically and within the confines of the Code of Ethics I adhere to, I have regular ongoing supervision with three separate supervisors:- (a trained Hypno/Psychotherapist, a NHS Clinical Psychotherapist/Sex Therapist;an EMDR Consultant/Psychologist). I also engage in peer supervision to enhance clincial practice.
DO I OFFER SUPERVISION?
I am a qualified supervisor and offer supervision to both trainee and qualified counsellors.
WHAT DOES THERAPY OFFER YOU?
People generally seek out psychotherapy with a need to alleviate some current, on-going stressor, change behaviour and/or to address the root of a problem. The therapy will essentially assess where you are now in relation to what you want to achieve, formulate specific and realistic goals, and facilitate the process of you achieving these goals, finding a more satisfying pathway. The aim is tobfavilitate putting you (the client) in touch with yourself so that you can make the necessary changes and work towards a process of improved self awareness, self-development self-empowerment. I
MY PERSONAL PHILOSOPHY IS:-
Respect, compassion, patience, empathy and appropriate challenge to aid personal awareness are running themes throughout my work. I encourage you to determine the direction of therapy, putting you at the centre of therapeutic encounter.
WHO I AM?
I am an Integrative Counsellor/Psychotherapist which means I use a combination of approaches that best suit your needs.
My main approaches to the therapeutic process include person centred, psycho-dynamic, systemic, E.M.D.R. and Hypnosis, some of which may be integrated into the therapeutic treatment as appropriate, and with your informed consent.
I began my training in 1997 and qualified as a person-centred counsellor in 1999. I have worked voluntarily as a counsellor in a variety of settings including:-
- Well Women's Centre
- Male Prison
- Bereavement Centre (CRUSE: Supervisor & Bereavement Counsellor)
- RELATE (Relationship & Couples Counsellor)
- Student Services (UCLAN)
I now work in private practice and also for Employment Assistance Programmes & Insurance Agencies.
MY PATHWAY INTO COUNSELLING/PSYCHOTHERAPY
During the late 1980's to mid 1990's I worked as a Lecturer in several Further & Higher Education teaching establishments where I taught Business & Management Studies and Leisure & Tourism & Sports Management. From this I developed an interest in working with some of the emotional needs of students. I think this is where the seed for entering into the psychotherapy and counselling arena first originated.
After qualifying as a person-centred counsellor in 1999, I developed further interest in how client's presenting issue(s) impact on other family members, particularly in couple relationships, and began my training in Couple and Relationship Counselling (opposite and same sex) with Relate in 1999 where I worked until early 2004.
My Relate training in psychodynamic theory has informed me of the importance the subconscious plays in our behaviour and habits My developed interest in the subconscious encouraged me to train as a HYPNO/ PSYCHOTHERAPIST in 2003.
In 2010 and 2011, I trained and incorporated a psychotherapeutic technique known as Eye Movement Desensitisation and Reprocessing (EMDR) into my practice. I am now an accredited EMDR therapist with the EMDR Association (Ireland & UK).
THE INITIAL CONSULTATION
Prior to commencing the therapeutic process, you are asked that you attend an initial consultation (first session). This will last up to 60 minutes. There is a fee for this. (Please refer to my fees below).The aim of the initial consultation is to :
- Provide a framework for the therapeutic work and a starting point to help you to better manage your presenting issues.
- Enable you to get a feel for what counselling/psychotherapy involves and how it may help your specific needs.
- Enable you to ask any questions or raise any concerns before making an informed commitment to attend further sessions.
- Offer space and time to discuss the practicalities of counselling such as cancellations, fees, confidentiality and the general rules that both client and counsellor must abide by.
- To enable me as your Therapist to make an assessment of your presenting problems and for us to identify the main goals you have for future sessions.
- To ascertain the suitability of the possible length of therapy.
- More importantly, this initial session is designed for you to make an assessment of me and to decide if you can work with me. Attending an initial assessment does not mean that you are obliged to continue with the therapy.
I have a keen interest in research around self-harm, trauma & pain management.
My family and close friendships are important to me. So too are engaging in personal developmental activities, practicing yoga and meditation, swimming, cycling, and walking. I feel training the mind and exercising the body within your limits is fundamental to emotional, mental and physical wellbeing. In the past I completed several marathons which was a real personal endeavour. Alas, my marathon days are now over since I ruptured my achilles in 2014.
EXPERIENCE OF LIVING ABROAD
I have experienced living in France & understand the language reasonably well, yet struggle to speak it well! O:)
MY THERAPY ROOM
I work from a comfortable, spacious, well equipped dedicated counselling room which is situated inside my home. The room is easily accessible being to your immediate left upon entry and has plenty natural light There is artifical recessed dimmer controlled lights which may be important if you are llight sensitive. All windows have adjustable blinds to ensure your privacy. It is warm and inviting and has central heating with a flame effect gas fire. There is easy access to a washroom facility and parking spaces are closeby.
I do not have a waiting room and therefore ask that you do not arrive early for your appointment as unfortunately I do have not have anywhere to accommodate you prior to your appointment.
There are no stairs to negotiate.
There is usually sufficient DISABLED access to the counselling room.
The bathroom facilities are not suitable for disabled access in a wheelchair.
Training, qualifications & experience
- Certificate of Proficiency awarded by the BACP REgister of Counsellors and Psychotherapists (2013)
- Accredited member of the EMDR Association, (UK, & Ireland, 2012)
- Trained in Eye Movement Desensitisation and Reprocessing, (EMDR Europe/Ireland, 2011)
- Registered with the United Kingdom Council for Psychotherapy (UKCP, 2009) (Hypno/Psychotherapy Section)
- Audited and audit approved by the UKCP (April 2010)
- Advanced Diploma in Hypno/Psychotherapy, (ADHP) by NCHP (2009)
- onlinecounsellors.co.uk (online counselling training), (2006)
- Post Graduate Diploma in Hypno/ Psychotherapy, Centra Training (2004)
- Certificate in Basic Sexual and Relationship Therapy, UCLAN (2004)
- Relate Certificate in Marital and Couple Counselling Theory and Practice, RELATE (2003)
- Cruse Bereavement Care Accredited Counsellor (Chorley & S. Ribble) (2003)
- Cruse Bereavement Care Supervisor (Chorley & S. Ribble) (2002)
- Diploma in Casework Supervision, PCCS awarded by ABC (2002)
- Post Graduate Diploma in Psychological Studies, UCLAN (2001)
Advanced Diploma in Person Centred Counselling, Wigan & Leigh College, Centra (1999)
- Post Graduate Certificate in Professional Studies in Education, Open University, (2004)
- Masters Degree in Education, Open University, (1996)
- Bachelor of Arts in Business Studies, Lancashire Polytechnic, (1990)
- Certificate in Education (FE) Bolton Institute of Higher Education awarded by the Victoria and Salford University, (1988)
- HNC Business & Management Studies (Bolton Institute of Higher Education)
CONTINUOUS PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT 2009-2011
- Effective Anger Management, (2009)
- Understanding Identity, Exploring Differences and Challenging
- Nurturing Young People's Mental Health through the Counselling
- Exploring Creative Ways of Building on Young People's Resillience, (2009)
- Exploring Trauma Faced by Young People, (2009)
- Good Practice in Counselling Assessment, (2009)
- EMDR Accredited Practitioner, EMDR extra 18 hours (2010, 2011)
- Living with Dissociation. PODS workshop. 6 hours (2011)
- Understanding and Working with Self-Harm. A psychotherapeutic Approach. 6 hours (2011)
- 3rd EMDR Autumn Workshops & Conference. 6 hours (Durham, 2011)
- Emotional Freedom Techniques Tania A Prince Associates (EFT) 12 hours Levels I & II (2011)
- Body Image Disturbance in Eating Disorders & the Application of EMDR in Treatment. Pam Virdi. 6 hours. (2011)
- Dissociation, Trauma and Time-Travelling or Living and Working with Dissociative Identity Disorder (2011)
- EMDR Accreditation Group 24 hours (2010)
- Hypnosis for Fertility easybirthing (2012)
- Mindfulness (2012)
- Kendal Person Centred Encounter Weekend. Maximum of 20 hours. (2012)
- EMDR & Veterans Skills Master Class, The Northern Centre Mindfulness, 6 hours (2013)
- Kendal Person Centred Encounter Weekend. Maximum of 20 hours (2013)
- Ongoing training as an EMDR Consultant (2013 ongoing)
- Introductory Mindfulness Practitioner Foundation Course (2014)
- Kendal Person Centred Encounter Weekend. Maximum of 20 hours (2014)
- Sex Offending - Sex addiction Pips North West 12 hours (2014)
- Neuroscience and Psychodynamic Theory Webinar nscience (2015)
- Assessment of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder from an attachment Perspective. nscience 12 hours. (2015)
- EMDR & Psychosis Conference. Lancashire Care Foundation Trust. 6 hours (2015)
- EMDR for Perinatal Trauma, OCD and Morbid Jealousy Workshop. Near West EMDR Regional Group UK. 6 hours (2015)
- EMDR Conference York 6 hours (2015)
- EMDR Uk & Ireland Consultancy Training (London 2016) 27 hours
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Child related issues
- Emotional abuse
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Internet addiction
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Narcissistic personality disorder
- Obsessive compulsive disorder
- Panic disorder
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder
- Postnatal depression
- Pregnancy and birth
Other areas of counselling I deal with
Ageing and mid-life crisis and life transitions.
Separation/Divorce and impact on family system
Work/Home life balance
Confusion around sexual orientation
Raising low mood.
Counselling for the elderly.
- Performance anxiety
- Presentation anxiety
- Weight loss
- Pain management
- Confidence building
- Smoking Cessation
- Fears and phobias
|loss of a loved one
injury of a loved one
witness to violence
victims of violent crimes
anxiety or panic
post traumatic stress
brooding or worrying
- Cognitive and behavioural therapies
- Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT)
- Couples counselling
- Group therapy
- Initial consultation (first session for all individuals and couples is £60.00 60 mins.)
- Individual psycho-therapeutic counselling 60.00 (60 mins)
- Hypno/Psychotherapy £60.00
- EMDR £70.00 (60 mins).
- Smoking Cessation a one off £150 for a 1.5 hour session.
- Couple Counselling & Psycho-sexual Counselling £70.00 (60 mins)
- Organisations (off-site) £60.00 for a 60 minute session.
- Insurance companies: £70.00 for a one assessment and £1.00 minute for any reports.
- For online counselling live Skype and email counselling please refer to www.karenhodgson.com for rates and terms and conditions.
CANCELLATION & CONFIDENTIALITY POLICY
Although I do understand that cancellations are inevitable at times. However, if you do need to cancel and re-book a session you will need to give me 48 hours noticePlease note that cancellations need to be made during a working week mon-fri 9 a.m. to 5 pm Mon- Fri. If you will be charged the full cost of the session. I will ask that you pay for the session prior to you next attending, and will forward a request for payment via Paypal. You do not need to have a Paypal account to pay via payment. ).
I adhere to a strict code of ethics. The information you provide during the session(s) will remain confidential, unless in certain rare circumstances where there is concern for your safety or that of others.
More details will be provided during the Initial Consultation.
Payment can be made via:-
- Paypal (please send an email to email@example.com to ask for a request for payment
- Google (please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to ask for a request for payment.
- Bank Transfer
WHAT IS EMDR?
EMDR stands for Eye Movement Desensitisation & Reprocessing. It is a psychotherapeutic procedure that originated during the '80's in the United States, designed to treat traumatic or dysfunctional memories and experiences, and their psychological consequences. In addition, it is now used for a variety of symptoms including bullying, harassment, accidents, victimisations, grief, anxiety, panic disorders, pain, sexual dysfunction and a wide range of experientially based disorders. It is a recommended treatment for Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, (PTSD), by The National Institute of Clinical Excellence, (NICE).
EMDR may be used as a stand alone treatment by itself, and/or or as an adjunctive therapy alongside "talking therapy" and/or hypnosis.
One unusual element in EMDR is bilateral stimulation, usually in the form of eye movements, or bilateral auditory or tactile stimulation. There is a great deal of evidence that bilateral stimulation speeds up the reprocessing of disturbing emotional or traumatic material, and at the same time helps you, the client, feel safer in making contact with traumatic material. A number of replicated research trials have demonstrated that eye movements reduce the vividness of emotional and traumatic imagery. It is believed that the eye movements induced in EMDR, mirror the natural eye movement process that occurs in the REM (Rapid Eye Movement) phase of sleep, during which information is processed naturally.
An EMDR therapist should always firstly carry out a careful psychological assessment of whether EMDR would be suitable for the problem (s) presented, and will elicit a memory representing the problem. You will be asked for a picture that represents the memory, a negative belief that you have about yourself in relation to the memory, and to notice associated physical sensations. Thereafter, a number of sets of eye movements or other bilateral stimulation are commenced, and after each set of eye movements the therapist will ask you what you have noticed. Typically, the images, emotions, and sensations experienced change through this process. At some point these changes become more positive and adaptive as you reprocess old dysfunctional information and connect with presently held adaptive and functional information. The aim is always to enable you to recollect the original traumatic material without disturbance and to have new and more adaptive beliefs about themselves in relation to the experience.
With "simple" or "one off" small "t" traumas EMDR can be remarkably rapid in its effects. More "complex" big "T" trauma, and/or multiple trauma treatment can take much longer.
Many insurance providers that cover standard counselling & psychotherapy, also cover EMDR services. Please contact your insurance carrier for further information.
- Also registered with Hypnotherapy Directory
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Available 9 am until 8 pm Monday to Thurs. You can book a session online if you prefer by going directly to my website www.karenhodgson.com
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|
Supervision & training
My personal supervisory philosophy.View supervision profile