Pamela Duffy, MA Couple Therapy, MBACP(Accred) ACC(Accred) FRTC UKRCP BEd (Hons)
I have worked as a couples counsellor/psychotherapist for almost 20 years within my own private practice, GP surgeries and for Relate. I have often been asked to supervise counsellors whose work has a relational focus. Over time my supervision has increased and I decided to complete a Certificate in Counselling Supervision to expand my supervision practice and go forward for BACP supervisor accreditation.
I offer an initial consultation for us to meet each other and to find out about your counselling practice, case work, client base, experience, qualification and specific needs of supervision. If appropriate, I will then draw up a bespoke contract for supervision that will detail among other things:
- our respective responsibilities within the contract
- timings and scheduling of sessions
- frequency of sessions
- management for cancelling or missed sessions
- holiday/absence cover
- management of emergencies
- usual setting for sessions and alternatives in exceptional circumstances
- management of reporting/assessment requirements for counsellors completing a training and reference writing for those applying for counselling related jobs
- management of concerns for either of us around ethical practice
- end date or process for ending the supervision contract.
I offer supervision to both experienced counsellors and counsellors undertaking training.
I believe that good supervision contributes to the professional development and growth of a counsellor. Depending on the experience of a counsellor and level of training supervision can at different times contribute to such development by :
- offering an educative support
- exploration of casework and collaborative consideration of areas of difficulty
- exploration of themes arising across a variety of casework
- exploration of areas considered particularly difficult by the counsellor
- offering insight or perceptions that the counsellor may not be aware of
- supporting you to work within best practice guidelines and to the highest levels of ethical practice
- exploration of personal material that is provoked by client casework and impacting on the therapeutic task. However, the focus of such exploration is always for the client's benefit and is not a substitute for personal therapy.
- recognising good work and celebrating achievements and progress together!
My supervision is integrative, as is my counselling practice, drawing on theories from psychodynamic, systemic, solution focussed brief therapy and cognitive behavioural therapies.
My area of specialism is with relational difficulties either for a couple or an individual although I broaden this to include working with clients with extended family and work related difficulties.
These issues often involve depression, anxiety, communication and conflict resolution difficulties, parenting and family problems as well as issues around change, loss and grief. I completed a qualification in therapeutic coaching that allows me to extend my practice beyond counselling into life coaching.
Please check out my counsellor profile for more information and call me to discuss arranging an initial meeting to discuss your supervision needs. - 07967127108