Using TA in couples counselling
Counselling couples can be challenging. Not only are there two people and their intrapsychic processes to manage, often couples are experiencing a crisis when they come to therapy. Transactional Analysis (TA) works well in the context of this kind of work. In this workshop we will explore a range of TA concepts and explore together how they can be used. This exciting workshop will combine theoretical knowledge and practical application of assessing and ‘how to’ work with couples in short term client work. Using case examples and experience we will be encouraging a sharing of our own knowledge through working collaboratively.
We will consider:
- Key concepts of TA that are useful in working with couples such as psychological games, rackets, interlocking script patterns, transactions, contracting, dimensions of assessment, stages of relationship.
- An introduction to couples work, and a through analysis and discussion of case studies.
- An opportunity to discuss current difficulties faced in the therapy room with your own couples.
- Practical ways of working hands on including interventions and methods to adopt in your own couples practice.
Learning outcomes will include being able to:
- Understand the range of interpersonal and intrapsychic processes that might be present in the couples’ dynamic.
- Appreciate and apply interventions and concepts to your own work with couples.
- Apply TA concepts and principles practically to your work with couples.
Mandy Atkinson PTSTA, CTA, UKCP Accred., BACP Accred. ,MA, Dip Sup., Dip Couns., Cert.Ed., RGN is a Provisional Teaching and Supervising Transactional Analyst, CTA Psychotherapist, trainer, clinical supervisor and consultant. Mandy provides a warm, collaborative environment to encourage exploration and learning. She is passionate about Transactional Analysis and co-created learning. In her private practice, Matters of the Mind Counselling and Psychotherapy, she provides psychotherapy for individuals, couples and families. And clinical supervision for trainee and qualified counsellors and psychotherapists. Mandy provides bespoke training and workshops on areas such as eating disorders and weight, Transactional Analysis, communications, depression and anxiety, setting up in private practice, business development/marketing.
This event is hosted and organised by the Affordable Counselling Group. You can book by contacting ACG directly: firstname.lastname@example.org
About Mandy Atkinson
Mandy Atkinson PTSTA, CTA, UKCP accred.,MA, Dip Sup, Dip Couns, Cert.Ed.
Mandy is a TA psychotherapist, supervisor, and trainer, providing psychotherapy, supervision and training. She teaches counselling and TA psychotherapy at several colleges. She specialises in working with eating and weight, trauma, relationships, depression and anxiety.