Borderline personality disorder – its symptoms, diagnosis and treatment
In the past, BPD (which has recently been re-classified as Emotionally Unstable Personality Disorder or EUPD) was often described as untreatable or treatment-resistant. Recent outcome studies have shown the effectiveness of schema therapy for treating BPD and conceptualising this disorder within the context of complex trauma history. In this one day training event, two psychologists will give you a sound introduction to BPD/EUPD, as well as an in depth exploration of various treatment options. It provides 5 CPD hours.
Key speaker – Dr. Audrey Tang
Audrey Tang is a chartered psychologist and is the resident psychologist on The Chrissy B Show (Sky191), the UK's only TV programme dedicated to mental health and well-being.
Audrey’s delivery will consist of an introduction to Borderline Personality Disorder and will cover the following:
- Identification of how BPD presents and the specific issues this can pose for therapists.
- Explanation of what may affect the "holistic" patient: the circumstances that may surround BPD patients that differ from those with other illnesses because of the effect of the BPD symptoms on relationships.
- Identification of some of the myths surrounding BPD and guidance on how to support the less mythical elements.
- Brief discussion of the principals of DBT commonly used to help BPD patients.
Key speaker – Dr. Astrid Ingham Brooke
Dr Astrid Ingham Brooke is a chartered clinical psychologist who has been practising clinical psychology for over 35 years, in both the public and private sectors in Australia and the UK. Astrid has worked with people presenting with complex and long-term conditions, including Borderline Personality Disorder (BPD). Astrid is an advanced level schema therapist and supervisor.
Astrid’s delivery will explore treatment options, with specific emphasis on how and why schema therapy is successful and will cover the following:
- Overview of various psychological treatment approaches.
- Managing risk for the patient and self-care for the therapist.
- Overview of schema therapy treatment.
- How schema therapy differs from classic CBT.
- How a schema therapy formulation and concepts may be helpful even if you practise using a different therapeutic model.
About Wendy Gregory
Accord CPD events was founded by Wendy Gregory and Amanda Cofek. Wendy is a counselling psychologist and writer and is a regular guest psychologist on BBC Talk Radio. Amanda is a chartered counselling psychologist working in the NHS and as a clinical manager at a counselling service in Oxfordshire.
To book go to www.accordtherapists.com.