Sarah Stead, DipHE, MBACP Registered
32 Sovereign Street
07500 276 469
I provide professional, caring and confidential counselling for individuals in Leeds and Halifax. I can work with a range of issues (see below) and have specialist expertise in bereavement. I work by exploring your world and how life is for you - at your pace.
Counselling can help you to:
- feel happy with yourself
- enjoy healthy relationships with other people
- find a way forward with the situation you are in
I currently have appointments available on Monday and Friday mornings in Halifax and Wednesday and Thursday evenings in Leeds.
Previous clients have said:
"I don't think I would have made it through the last six months without you."
"Thank you so much for your help and support over the past six months. You've made me understand things about my life that I know I never would have on my own. For that I am very grateful and know that I am better prepared for the future. Thank you."
"Thank you for your patience and understanding. I really appreciate the hours you have given me."
"Thank you - our sessions have really helped me to sort my head out - you've helped me to answer questions by myself and I never thought this would happen."
"Thank you so much for all your help over the past few months. I've made such big changes and I couldn't have done it without you. Thanks for all your time and patience."
I believe in:
- acting with integrity
- respecting all clients and counsellors
I am a Registered Member of the British Association of Counsellors and Psychotherapists and committed to working to the standards set out in the BACP Ethical Framework for Good Practice in Counselling.
I have an Enhanced Criminal Record Bureau Disclosure dated July 2008.
All my counselling work is supervised by an experienced Psychotherapist.
Training, qualifications & experience
I began as a Listening Volunteer for Samaritans providing support to people in crisis over the telephone, via email or in one-to-one face-to-face sessions. During my time as a Samaritan I realised that therapeutic work with people was my passion.
My training since then includes:
- Introduction to Counselling Skills
- Developing Counselling Skills
- Certificate in Counselling
- Certificate in Bereavement Care (OCNW Accredited)
- Diploma in Therapeutic Counselling
- Bereavement Matters Conference
- Sudden and Traumatic Death
I can help you with:
- A general feeling of unhappiness with life
- Relationship issues e.g. relationship difficulties with your partner
- Relationships with members of your family
- Exam stress
- Domestic violence
- An alcoholic in the family
- Building self confidence
- Having better self esteem
- Overcoming problems at work
- Suicidal thoughts or attempted suicide
Specialist expertise in bereavement
I have been a Bereavement Support Worker in Leeds since 2008. I am trained and experienced in grief and bereavement counselling with 10 years specialist experience of providing one-to-one support for people experiencing difficult grief.
If you are struggling to come to terms with the death of someone who means a lot to you, then I can offer counselling to help you explore the worst parts of your grief. I can help with:
- Death of life partner, parent or child
- Sudden or unexpected death
- Traumatic death, e.g. fatal accident, murder or manslaughter, suicide
- Times when more than one person has died
- When you have experienced a series of bereavements over a period of time
- If the death happened a long time ago
- Death of someone following prolonged illness
- Death of someone you were caring for
- Recent deaths
- Coping with the death of someone who is terminally ill
- Coping with anniversaries and birthdays
I offer short-term and long-term counselling.
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Bulimia nervosa
- Carer support
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Hearing voices
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Panic disorder
When you first make contact I will:
o respond as quickly as possible
o ask a little about the difficulties you are facing, to make sure I am the right person to help
o find a suitable time to meet, if you would like to
o make a note of your telephone number and email address
o email you to confirm the time and location of our meeting, if we have arranged to meet
What to expect from our first meeting
The nature of our first meeting will be very different from any following meetings. This meeting is about asking questions and finding out about you and the counselling I offer. We will then decide whether we would like to carry on working together in the future. If we do, we will read over the contract together and talk about how many sessions you might like, and how frequent your sessions might be.
The first session will last 55 minutes and will cost £25.
What to expect from subsequent sessions
Your counselling sessions are your space to explore your thoughts and feelings. I will follow your lead and you can start wherever feels most appropriate to you. If you don't know where to start, that's OK too. Together, we will work it out. Periodically, we will look at where you started, where you are now and which things still need to be explored - to make sure your counselling sessions are giving you what you need and that we are on track.
Counselling sessions last 55 minutes and cost £45 per session.
What to expect from our last session together
Our last session is a chance for us to look back over our work together. We can note the high points and low points. Finally, we will say our goodbyes.
Last counselling sessions are 55 minutes and cost £45 per session.
I work in three locations across Leeds and Halifax.
On Wednesday evenings, I work at Spark (Queen Street, LS1 2TW) in central Leeds which is a short walk from Leeds train station with on-street parking right outside.
On Thursday evenings, I work at Prospect House (Sovereign Street, LS1 4BJ) in Leeds which is a convenient 5 minute walk from Leeds train station. There is also on-street parking right outside and multi-storey parking at Sovereign Square and Trinity.
I work at Elland Wellbeing Centre in Halifax on Monday and Friday mornings where there is free parking. Elland Wellbeing Centre is about 5 minutes drive from junction 24 of the M62.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
- Monday mornings in Halifax. - Wednesday evenings in Leeds city centre. - Thursday evenings in Leeds city centre. - Friday mornings in Halifax.
Types of client