Sarah Garton BACP Registered Counsellor & Psychotherapist PgDip BA(hons) DNMed
Health And Wellbeing Falsgrave Clinic
65 Falsgrave Road
07843 498806 / 07843 498806
I want to start by assuring you that whatever is causing you distress at the moment is something you can overcome.
Therapy can help most emotional, relational and psychological difficulties we experience in our life, including anxiety, depression and panic feelings. Sometimes talking through your concerns and being listened to, heard and understood, can allow you to see things from a different perspective. It is often hard to do this on your own and therapy can help start this process of developing insight and self-awareness about your situation.
The art of therapy is to help people come to terms with any problems they are facing, with an ultimate aim of overcoming them. The term can mean different things to different people, but in general it is a process people seek when they want to change something in their lives or simply explore their thoughts and feelings and come to know themselves in more depth. Therapy can also be used for self-actualisation and personal development. You don't need to be experiencing difficulties to reap the benefits of this truly unique and precious relationship.
What to expect from me:
- You will be fully accepted (and not judged) for all of who you are.
- You will be given all the time it takes to tell your story. You don’t need to be in a hurry.
- You will be able to give a voice to aspects of yourself that may be unattended to, ignored or avoided.
- Your feelings and thoughts about your experiences will be listened to, heard and respected.
- And slowly, as you tell your story, you will come to a better understanding and deeper awareness of whatever has brought you to my counselling room.
- We will explore how you can develop healthier relationships and behaviour patterns so that old situations do not keep happening.
- You will leave with a clearer sense of who you really are, and how to deal with life from a more integrated and powerful self.
Theoretically, (the technical blurb!) I work within an integrative orientation grounded in humanistic and experiential therapies. I draw on the following approaches; Person-Centred, Focusing, Neo-Reichian, Process-Orientated psychotherapy, voice dialogue work, family constellations and shamanic psychotherapy.
What this actually means is that I promise you a genuine relationship in which I will listen deeply, be gentle, empathetic, honest and accepting of all aspects of you. But therapy is not just about listening well (although this is so massively important). I also have knowledge gained through my education and experience, and we can use the theory and techniques of the different approaches to help us both to get a deeper understanding and awareness of you.
Training, qualifications & experience
My professional experience within well-being, working in private practice stretches well over a decade. I have had many happy years successfully running both Nutritional Vitality and Feel Vitality.
I am a fully qualified and insured Counsellor and Psychotherapist, registered with the British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP) and the Government body the Complementary and Natural Healthcare Council (CNHC). I'm also a Nutritional Therapist, registered with the British Association of Applied Nutrition and Nutritional Therapy (BANT).
I have high level qualifications:
- PG Diploma in Person-Centred Counselling and Psychotherapy (University of Cumbria)
- BA (Hons) in Philosophy (Lancaster University)
- DNMed: Diploma in Nutritional Medicine (Plaskett Nutritional Medicine College)
- DN: Diploma in Nutrition (Plaskett)
- DIridol: Advanced Diploma in Iridology (Plaskett)
- Therapeutic Shamanic Practitioner (Three Ravens College)
- Practitioner Level in Australian Bush Flower Remedies (Aus Flowers)
- CPPD Fundamental Studies in Holistic Healthcare (Thames Valley University)
I am committed to and passionate about my own personal growth. I believe it is important to walk my talk and I have had over five years of personal therapy in the integrative approach. Ethical therapeutic practice is crucial to me, as is ongoing professional development through workshops and further training.
Workshops for Professional Development:
- Art of Repatterning (Family constellations and systems)
- Art of Mapping (Neo-Reichian Therapy and body work)
- Art of Tracking (Process-orientated psychotherapy and body work)
- Death and Dying
- Working with Trauma
- Power dynamics within the therapeutic relationship
- ASIST - Applied suicide intervention skills training
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anorexia nervosa
- Binge-eating disorder
- Bipolar disorder
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Bulimia nervosa
- Carer support
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Domestic violence
- Drug abuse
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Panic disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Physical abuse
Photos & videos
The most important aspect of therapy is the relationship. It is important that you feel safe, held, accepted and not judged – that you can trust both me and the process - and that it “feels right” for you. Sometimes this means that I/you/we decide I am not the right person – and that’s fine. I cannot stress enough that it is important to feel comfortable with the therapist before you start on this work. In fact, it is often useful to meet more than one therapist before choosing.
I offer a thirty minute session free of charge for us to decide whether we want to work together – and this can be extended into the initial hour session if you do want to continue with the counselling relationship. Sessions are offered in the daytime or early evening, Monday to Friday. We can work together either for the short or long term.
Initial 60 minute session £40 (first 30 mins free if you choose not to work with me, or want to think about it further)
All further 60 minute sessions are £40.
Concessions offered if needed.
- Also registered with Nutritionist Resource
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Appointments available weekdays and evenings.
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|