Sara Gallagher MBACP FdA Humanistic Counselling based on Transactional Analysis
Welcome my name is Sara, I have been working as a qualified therapist for the last 6 years and have a broad breadth of experience working with many presenting issues
I appreciate if you are seeking a therapist, finding the right one you can trust and connect with can be quite daunting. I take a warm, comfortable, welcoming and genuine caring approach to my work. If there is anything you feel I could help with please get in touch. I also have personal experience of asking for help which I know for some is very difficult.
You are unique and I start with that.
Have you ever found yourself thinking 'why does this keep happening to me?' What's wrong with me? Why do I feel it's always something about me that's wrong? It's frustrating, exasperating, baffling and can leave you feeling alone and confused. If you have had this process happening regularly - an old familiar feeling - you may have developed a pattern of behaviour that isn't working for you that has it's origins somewhere in your past.
You may have had a life changing event that still sits with you and gets in the way of who you want to be, a car accident that stops you driving. Losing a career you have spent years developing. Perhaps you are the caring one in your support network, the sensitive one to other's needs, the one who likes other people to feel good however it's not satisfying for you or meeting your needs.
Perhaps you come from a dysfunctional family with related issue's not yet addressed but still impacting. Patterns of behaviour that limit your choices on who you want to be are a good indicator of some unresolved issues. Or maybe you don't know what's wrong, you feel you're not reaching your full potential and don't know why. Therapy can help with that.
Perhaps you are suffering from the loss of a loved one. You may have had an event that has left you with a lack of closure. Or maybe you need to work through something that you can't talk about to friends/family and need a more objective understanding professional ear.
There are so many issues that can manifest in so many ways of feeling, thinking and behaving that do not work for you anymore and you feel stuck in life.
Training, qualifications & experience
- NVQ Level 3 Counselling Skills
- Foundation Degree in Humanistic Counselling based on Transactional Analysis (Distinction)
- TA 101
- 6 module workshop in understanding ACT as a new way of working
- Various workshops and lectures on Trauma and The Body with PODS
- 3 module workshop, Defining Sexual Exploitation/Abuse, Prevention and/or Detection Strategies/outcomes and finally Responding to disclosures from victims/survivors (CIS'ters 2016)
- Contemporary Trauma Practice (Relational Change, Oxford) - 3 modules completed:
- Trauma Fundamentals
- Working with Fear and Dissociation
- Deepening supporting from Top Down to Bottom Up
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Attachment disorder
- Avoidant personality disorder
- Borderline personality disorder
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Dependent personality disorder
- Domestic violence
- Drug abuse
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Feeling sad
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Histrionic personality disorder
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Panic disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Relationship problems
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Separation anxiety
- Sex problems
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
Other areas of counselling I deal with
I have worked with Adult Survivors of Child Abuse for 5 years and also a wider generic client group, all unique in how they approached their issues. Each having their own coping mechanisms and defence strategies
We refer to clients with past / present abuse as 'Survivors' which is exactly what they are. They survive using every resource available to them, whether it makes sense to others or not and they do so for very good reason, survival - this is sometimes misunderstood as surviving and thriving, which in my experience is not the case, survival takes immense energy and leaves little room for thriving. Trauma is relative and doesn't have to have happened in childhood. An explanation of Abuse and relating issues include
- Child abuse covers physical, emotional, mental, sexual, incest and neglect.
- Family dysfunction can cause many problems to the Adult abilities in the here and now to connect with others, to allow vulnerability and intimacy
- Trauma is relative, whatever it was it is yours. Never compare your experience to anyone else's - all dysfunction cause's problems
- Abusive relationships
- Feeling misunderstood
- Severe distortions of self
- Being lost and unable to feel anything
- Shame, anxiety, depression
- Self loathing
- Body image issues
- Feeling alone
- Misbelieved and isolated
- lacking in ability to trust to the point of despair.
- Inability to sustain relationship/friendship
- Self harm
- Suicidal Ideation
It is very difficult to be in that place. You are not alone. Please remember you are unique and what happened in your life is also. It is relative, only you know what you feel like and how your experience has impacted on you.
If you are reading this then you may be ready to begin your journey towards reclaiming what was taken from you.
In summary: I have extensive experience in working in Mental Health and in addition delivering Personal Development Training to the long term unemployed and inmates at HMP Holloway before training to be a therapist. Summarising all the issues I work with above and below:
- Eating Disorders
- Anxiety Disorders
- Relationship issues
- The taboo of incest
- Trauma and Dissociation
- Border Line Personality Disorder
- Panic attacks
- Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
- Bullying and it's foot print into Adult life.
- And the human personality in all of it's richness, diversity and power.
- Twelve Step Programme - clients who require perhaps a little more support and understanding in their journey.
I commit 100% to you. What ever way you want to work with that's what we do.
- Acceptance and commitment therapy (ACT)
- Cognitive therapy
- Couples counselling
- Family/systemic therapy
- Human Givens psychotherapy
Photos & videos
- I offer a free 30. minute session to work out whether I am the right therapist for you which is not as easy choice to make. It is a big commitment to make and therefore is vital that you choose someone you are comfortable with.
- I charge £40 per 50 minutes session. I see clients on a day and time mutually agreed every week as this commitment gives us time to build our relationship, boundaries and trust however I also work fortnightly with clients who require more time between sessions.
- I also offer flexible payment to clients that find themselves unable to afford the full session fee due to circumstances beyond their control - please just ask
- I offer a choice of tea, coffee or water in each session - your physical comfort is very important to me
My Practice is situated in a beautiful rural position with ample free parking
I would like to give you a flavour of who I am.
I enjoy both solitude and social contact.
I love reading to keep myself up to date on current thinking.
I lived in London for 20 years which I loved.
However moved to the countryside to be closer to nature which I am amazed and delighted by on my daily walks with my dogs.
I enjoy spending time with friends and I love to laugh - humour is such a wonderful release of energy. It forms part of any relationship I build including the Therapeutic Relationship I build with my clients. I have a warm, down to earth compassionate approach to relationship in whatever form and especially in my work. And as stated at the start I have first hand knowledge of how daunting it can be to ask for help and how rewarding it is to find it.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Monday - Friday day and evening availability
I also have a profile on Psychology Today
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|