Paula Coles BA (Hons) M.Ed (Psych) PGCE, Dip.HE,PG.Cert.HE. MBACP Accred
Paula is a BACP fully Accredited Psychotherapist and Clinical Supervisor with 20 years experience, working in independent practice. She has Graduate Basis for Chartered membership of the British Psychological Society (BPS) and is a recognised provider of Psychotherapy for BUPA.
Paula works to the highest standards, offering a confidential service based on the importance of developing a secure and trusting therapeutic relationship. Her approach is one of warmth and support with the aim of helping clients achieve the change they desire to improve their life and wellbeing. She has tremendous faith in the therapeutic process from having helped so many people improve their lives.
Good therapy, with a skilled and experienced Psychotherapist, provides long-lasting benefits, giving people the tools to avoid triggers, re-direct damaging patterns, and overcome challenges. Paula has particular skill in creating a safe space for the client in the therapy room which will eventually make the world outside less overwhelming, scary or upsetting. The benefits you obtain from therapy depend on how well you use the process and put into practice what you learn. Some of the benefits available from therapy include:
- Attaining a better understanding of yourself, your goals and values
- Developing skills for improving your relationships
- Finding resolution to the issues or concerns that led you to seek therapy
- Learning new ways to cope with stress and anxiety
- Managing anger, grief, depression, and other emotional pressures
- Improving communications and listening skills
- Changing old behavior patterns and developing new ones
- Discovering new ways to solve problems in your relationships
- Improving your self-esteem and boosting self-confidence
Paula has excellent experience of working with individuals and groups around presenting issues such as; abuse, sex and relationship problems, anxiety, depression, stress, eating disorders, mood disorders, PTSD, addiction and bereavement.
She has a history of working well with clients who have been previously frustrated in their search for change through therapy. Her research background involved the creation of innovative evidence based practice systems. She has developed excellent tools for clients to use in therapy which help ensure that they have a clear understanding of what their goals are and if they are being met by therapy, enabling them to feel positive and engaged in the process.
She is able to provide individual short and long term psychotherapy for adults and young people and Clinical supervision for trainee and experienced Therapists.
As a fully BACP accredited Psychotherapist, Paula abides by the BACP Code of Ethics.
Paula has an up to date DBS check.
Training, qualifications & experience
Paula has 20 years of experience including spending ten years working as a Psychotherapist and Clinical Supervisor (managing the work of Counsellors) for the award winning Southampton Rape Crisis. She provided short and long term individual Psychotherapy and set up and ran therapeutic groups. In addition, she set up their groundbreaking Young People's Service, which provided a specialist place for young people to engage with creative therapy.
She has also worked for Hampshire County Council's Employee Support service providing short-term, solution-focused therapy and stress management, enabling clients to manage difficulties and return to work.
Her time with these services gave her a good working knowledge of referral to additional services and of NHS mental health services should they be required.
Paula is qualified to apply a range of psychological models including Humanistic, Integrative, REBT and Solution-focused short term work. She is also able to offer creative and art based therapy, Mindfulness Meditation and Stress management.
Paula also has a long professional history of working as a Teacher and Lecturer specialising in emotional and behavioural differences. She has also taught and trained Counsellors and other professionals such as Police officers and Social Workers.
She has always enjoyed staying up to date with training and research and has completed a huge amount of additional courses such as: Mindfulness, Stress management, working with Self Harm, DBT and Family therapy. She has also attended many conferences with the National Rape Crisis Federation and Hampshire County Council. She was also part of working group looking at suicide reduction interventions in Southampton.
Training & qualifications
- Counselling Certificate, Sheffield Hallam University.
- Diploma of Higher Education in Counselling Skills Theory and Practice, University of Southampton.
- Post-graduate Certificate in Advanced Studies in CAS Counselling Supervision Theory and Practice (Distinction), University of Southampton.
- BACP Accredited Counsellor/Psychotherapist status since 2005.
- M.Ed Psychology (Distinction/Commendation), University of Bristol.
(Specialising in Counselling Group Work and therapeutic work for Mental Health. Including Graduate basis for chartered membership of the British Psychological Society.)
- Mindfulness for Sexual Problems, Tavistock Relationships.
- Foundation in Art Therapy , British Association of Art therapists , London.
- Child and Adolescent Psychotherapy , Albert Ellis institute, New York City.
- PhD Research into Trauma, University of Roehampton.
- Primary Care Certificate in Stress Management, The Centre for Stress Management, London.
- Primary Care Certificate in Solution Focused Therapy, The Centre for Stress Management, London.
- B.A (Hons), University of Leeds.
- P.G.C.E., University of Leicester.
- Certificate of Education (Emotional and Behavioural Differences), University of Winchester.
- In addition Paula has attended a large amount of short courses and workshops.
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Asperger's syndrome
- Attachment disorder
- Attachment disorder in children
- Behaviour problems
- Bipolar disorder
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Childhood bereavement
- Childhood bullying
- Children’s learning difficulties
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Depression and anxiety in children
- Domestic violence
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Gender dysphoria
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Panic disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship issues
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Separation anxiety
- Sex problems
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Tourette's syndrome
- Work-related stress
- Young carers
Other areas of counselling I deal with
Parenting and motherhood.
- Cognitive and behavioural therapies
- Existential therapy
- Gestalt therapy
- Group therapy
- Humanistic therapies
Photos & videos
£45-50 for a 50 minute session.
BUPA recognised provider of Psychotherapy £60 per session.
I always keep spaces for those on low wages and benefits at a reduced rate.
I offer concessionary rates for students.
Please contact me for rates for Clinical Supervision.
Easily accessible by public transport.
Off-road parking available.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|
Supervision & training
Paula is a postgraduate qualified Clincial Supervisor with 20 years experience.View supervision profile