John-Paul Davies, UKCP Accredited, MBACP, PG Dip
I am an experienced BACP registered, UKCP accredited counsellor and psychotherapist offering both short and long-term counselling and psychotherapy and short-term life coaching. I work in Cobham (near to Oxshott, Esher, Weybridge, Ripley, Bookham, Fetcham, Hersham and Walton-on-Thames), Surrey.
How can psychotherapy or counselling help?
Good psychotherapy or counselling can enable you to experience life more in the way you want to. The issues bringing you to this site might be standing in the way of this, but they can change. I don't believe that anyone is predestined to be a certain "type" of person or to behave in, or feel, a particular way. Of course, sometimes much of the work can be about a person just appreciating and valuing more of who they currently are. There is a real and unique potential held in the trusting relationship between psychotherapist/counsellor and client.
The same issues arise for different reasons in each person. In psychotherapy or counselling, we learn how unique elements are creating your symptoms or causing you to feel unsatisfied, distressed or struggle. We'll look at how this can be different in your day to day life in order to shape life the way you want and need.
My training combined traditional psychotherapy theory with more contemporary techniques. This enables your individuality to be reflected in our work together. We would work in a style designed to suit you. This could, for example, involve bringing in your dreams and creative imagination, practicing mindfulness, or using cognitive behavioural techniques in addition to more traditional talking psychotherapy and counselling.
I've also written a self-help book available on Amazon called "Finding a Balanced Connection" that you may find helpful. Book reviews that you’ll see on Amazon.co.uk include:
“This is a great book. Easy to read, a great set of principles to follow and genius in it’s depth and simplicity of a complex psychological field.”
"This book, like the author, could be a life saver, and is certainly a life enhancer. It is full of analysis, structure, logic, and wisdom; hence a good companion if and when you are running short of some of that stuff."
"Great inspiring read... It's written in an engaging, no-nonsense style that is down to earth without any psychobabble or "fluff" that really appeals and helps believe that things are really possible. Highly recommended."
"A brilliant read... it’s a wonderful, clear and explicit window into making better connections, having better relationships and ultimately, being the very best version of yourself."
What is the difference between psychotherapy and counselling?
Psychotherapy tends to be longer term work with the aim of a deeper understanding and awareness of self through self-examination, generally to improve relationship with self and, in turn, others.
Counselling tends to be a short-term exploration of issues happening in a person's life at that moment in time. These could include relationship difficulties such as divorce, dealing with anxiety symptoms, depression, addicitve behaviour, or bereavement.
Training, qualifications & experience
- Registered Member of the BACP (British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy)
- Fully Accredited by the UKCP (United Kingdom Council for Psychotherapy)
- Completed a one year Foundation in Counselling and Psychotherapy
- Followed by a four year Diploma in Integrative Counselling and Psychotherapy at the Centre for Counselling and Psychotherapy Education in London.
Prior to beginning my private practice I carried out both short and long term work for:
- The Counselling Partnership, St Peter’s Hospital, Chertsey, Surrey.
- The West London Centre for Counselling Service, Shepherd’s Bush, London.
- The HELP Counselling Service, Notting Hill, London.
- Living Well CIC, Ladbroke Grove, London.
- The GMI Partnership, London in Vauxhall and at Mayday Hospital, Croydon.
I have also completed:
- A Certificate in EMDR (Eye Movement Desensitisation and Reprocessing) with training approved by both the EMDRIA and the EMDR-.
- A clinical placement on the Hughlings Jackson Psychiatric Ward at the National Hospital for Neurology and Neuro-surgery in Queen Square, London.
- Four full day courses covering the psychiatric DSM(IV) handbook.
- A Level 2 Award in Understanding Health Improvement (Credit) with the GMI Partnership.
- A Mindfulness course with Living Well.
- An Introduction to Solution Focused Brief Therapy with The Counselling Partnership.
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Bipolar disorder
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Career counselling
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Domestic violence
- Drug addiction
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Gender dysphoria
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Internet addiction
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Panic attacks
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship problems
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Sex addiction
- Sex problems
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
- Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT)
- Compassion-Focused Therapy
- Existential therapy
- Human Givens psychotherapy
Photos & videos
Please see website for fee per session
There is free parking at my Cobham location.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Weekdays and evening appointments.
Types of client