John-Paul Davies, UKCP Accredited, MBACP, PG Dip
2 Warwick Crescent
I am an experienced BACP registered, UKCP accredited counsellor and psychotherapist offering both short and long-term counselling and psychotherapy and short-term life coaching. Please click through to my website to see testimonials from some of my clients.
I work between Little Venice/Paddington, London and Cobham (near to Oxshott, Esher, Weybridge, Ripley, Bookham, Fetcham, Hersham and Walton-on-Thames), Surrey.
What is the difference between psychotherapy and counselling?
Psychotherapy tends to be longer term work with the aim of a deeper understanding and awareness of self through self-examination, generally to improve relationship with self and, in turn, others.
Counselling tends to be a short-term exploration of issues happening in a person's life at that moment in time. These could include relationship difficulties such as divorce, dealing with anxiety symptoms, depression, addicitve behaviour, or bereavement.
How can psychotherapy or counselling help?
Good psychotherapy or counselling can enable you to experience life more in the way you want to. The issues bringing you to this site might be standing in the way of this, but they can change. I don't believe that anyone is predestined to be a certain "type" of person or to behave in, or feel, a particular way. Of course, sometimes much of the work can be about a person just appreciating and valuing more of who they currently are. There is a real and unique potential held in the trusting relationship between psychotherapist/counsellor and client.
The same issues arise for different reasons in each person. In psychotherapy or counselling, we learn how unique elements are creating your symptoms or causing you to feel unsatisfied, distressed or struggle. We'll look at how this can be different in your day to day life in order to shape life the way you want and need.
My training combined traditional psychotherapy theory with more contemporary techniques. This enables your individuality to be reflected in our work together. We would work in a style designed to suit you. This could, for example, involve bringing in your dreams and creative imagination, practicing mindfulness, or using cognitive behavioural techniques in addition to more traditional talking psychotherapy and counselling.
I have also completed a Certificate in EMDR (Eye Movement Desensitisation and Reprocessing) as a way of working with many of the issues listed below and I'm currently working towards accreditation in this technique. EMDR (Eye Movement Desensitisation and Reprocessing), is an established technique that enables the brain to reprocess stored memories, and which has helped over 2 million people relieve many types of psychological distress.
Free taster session
I understand that psychotherapy and counselling are a potentially significant commitment. I therefore offer a free introductory taster session without any further obligation.
The taster takes place over the phone and is about 30 minutes in length. In this, we can explore how counselling or psychotherapy might help you and see something of what it would be like working together. This is an opportunity for you to make sure that you are comfortable with the process and for us to make sure that the process will be helpful for you.
If you think this would be helpful, just let me know when you make initial contact and we can agree a convenient time.
Training, qualifications & experience
- Registered Member of the BACP (British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy)
- Fully Accredited by the UKCP (United Kingdom Council for Psychotherapy)
- Completed a one year Foundation in Counselling and Psychotherapy
- Followed by a four year Diploma in Integrative Counselling and Psychotherapy at the Centre for Counselling and Psychotherapy Education in London.
Prior to beginning my private practice I carried out both short and long term work for:
- The Counselling Partnership, St Peter’s Hospital, Chertsey, Surrey.
- The West London Centre for Counselling Service, Shepherd’s Bush, London.
- The HELP Counselling Service, Notting Hill, London.
- Living Well CIC, Ladbroke Grove, London.
- The GMI Partnership, London in Vauxhall and at Mayday Hospital, Croydon.
I have also completed:
- A Certificate in EMDR (Eye Movement Desensitisation and Reprocessing) with training approved by both the EMDRIA and the EMDR-.
- A clinical placement on the Hughlings Jackson Psychiatric Ward at the National Hospital for Neurology and Neuro-surgery in Queen Square, London.
- Four full day courses covering the psychiatric DSM(IV) handbook.
- A Level 2 Award in Understanding Health Improvement (Credit) with the GMI Partnership.
- A Mindfulness course with Living Well.
- An Introduction to Solution Focused Brief Therapy with The Counselling Partnership.
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Bipolar disorder
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Domestic violence
- Drug abuse
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Gender dysphoria
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Internet addiction
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Panic disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
Photos & videos
My fee per session is:
£70 in both Cobham (near to Esher, Oxshott, Fetcham, Bookham, Hersham, Weybridge and Walton-on-Thames) and Paddington/Little Venice.
I appreciate that psychotherapy is an investment and I'm happy to discuss how and whether it might be helpful for you on the telephone prior to you booking an initial appointment.
There is free parking nearby my Cobham location. For the CCPE, the nearest tubes are Warwick Avenue (Bakerloo Line) or Paddington.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Weekdays and evenings and some weekend appointments.