(Terry) Martin Fahey, MBACP
Hello, my name is Martin Fahey. Welcome to my page and I hope you find the information here informative.
I am a professionally qualified and experienced therapeutic counsellor, psychosexual therapist and relationship/couples therapist.
As a Psychotherapeutic Counsellor I have supported many aspects of human experience ranging from anxiety and depression to low self-esteem, bereavement, work related issues, relationship difficulties, childhood trauma, sexual identity, drug & alcohol dependency, sexual abuse and chronic illness with adult clients of all ages and from a diverse range of social, ethnic and cultural backgrounds.
My work as a psychosexual and relationship therapist includes supporting LGBTQ+ and heterosexual couples and individuals who may be experiencing sexual, emotional or relationship difficulties including erectile and ejaculation problems, arousal difficulties, sexual phobias, problems with orgasm, peri and post-menopausal problems, pain during sex, low libido, sexual difficulties in relation to diabetes, cancer, MS, depression, alcohol, STI's and/or recreational drug use, coping with and overcoming affairs, communication problems, separation and divorce, survivors of sexual abuse, domeestic violence, excessive use of pornography, excessive masturbation, sex addiction, limerence/love addiction, jealousy, trust issues, co-dependancy or commitment problems.
As well as working with clients in my private practice, I have worked extensively with the NHS as an Honorary Psychosexual and Relationship Therapist, with national and local HIV & Sexual Health charities as a sexual health advisor, outreach worker, psychosexualtherapist and therapeutic counsellor, with a hospice providing bereavement and end-of-life emotional support and with a homeless charity as a therapeutic counsellor.
As an Integrative Counsellor, I draw on counselling techniques and understanding from the person-centred, psychodynamic and existential models of therapeutic counselling, to create a unique, flexible and personalised way of working with you that is tailored to your own specific needs and difficulties.
My approach is very much focussed on working with you to help you understand and come to terms with the problems you are experiencing, in a confidential therapeutic space that is safe, trusted and sensitive to your individual needs, so that you can freely explore the issues that are troubling you without feeling judged or forced into making decisions that are not right for you.
Most importantly, I aim to build a trusting and supportive relationship with you, where you will be listened to and understood. Working at your pace, we will work together to help you clarify your thoughts and feelings, so that you might gain a clearer understanding of the person you are, be able to acknowledge what is really important to you, and find new ways of dealing with the problems you are experiencing so that you can move forward and live a less stressful and more fulfilling life.
I offer face-to-face, on-line and telephone counselling support on an open-ended, time-limited or solution-focused therapy basis, depending on your individual circumstances.
Training, qualifications & experience
I have a professional First Class BSc. (Hons.) Degree in Integrative Counselling from Roehampton University and have undertaken 2 years additional training in Psychosexual and Relationship Therapy with The London Diploma of Psychosexual and Relationship Therapy, accredited by Middlesex University and COSRT (College of Sexual and Relationship Therapists).
I have additionally undertaken professional development trainings in:
- Working with Survivors of Childhood Sexual Abuse
- Understanding and Recognising Sex Addiction
- Attachment & Relational Trauma
- Working with Shame in the Therapeutic Hour
- Encounter Centred Therapy
- Working with Attachment
- Post Traumatic Growth and Bereavement
- The Power of the Creative Self
- Safeguarding Adults
- Working with Attachment and Loss
- Motivational Interviewing
- Sex Worker Awareness Training
My experience in providing counselling and psychosexual & relationship therapy includes:
- Woking in Private Practice as a Psychotheraputic Counsellor since 2010 and as a Psychosexual & Relationship Therapist since 2014.
- 3 years working with the NHS as an Honorary Psychsexual and Relationship Therapist in Genito Urinary Medicine (GUM) clinics in Surrey and Berkshire
- 9 years woking for the Terrence Higgins Trust as a Sexual Health Advisor & Senior Sexual Health Outreach Worker
- 8 years as a Therapeutic Counsellor and 3 years as a Psychosexual and Relationship Therapist working for a consortium of HIV charities (Positive Action, Terrence Higgins Trust and St. Peter's House)
- 6 Years working as a volunteer with Windsor Hospice as a bereavement counsellor and 2 years as an end-of-life support counsellor
- 2.5 years working as a volunteer Counsellor with Launchpad Reading, a homeless prevention charity
I hold professional memberships with COSRT (College of Sexual and Relationship Therapists) and the BACP British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy) and work within the relevant COSRT Codes of Ethics for all my Psychosexual and Relationship therapy practice and also adhere to the BACP's Ethical Framework for the Counselling Professions.
I have regular professional counselling supervision for both my psychotherapeutic counselling work and my psychosexual and relationship therapy and I hold full Public Liability and Professional Indemnity Insurance for my counselling practice.
I have a current and up-to-date Enhanced DBS check in place.
I have worked with a number of national EAP (Employee Assistance Programme) organisations and will accept referrals from insurance companies and EAPs.
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Antisocial personality disorder
- Attachment disorder
- Avoidant personality disorder
- Bipolar disorder
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Borderline personality disorder
- Career counselling
- Carer support
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Dependent personality disorder
- Domestic violence
- Drug addiction
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Gender dysphoria
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Health anxiety
- Hearing voices
- Histrionic personality disorder
- Internet addiction
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Narcissistic personality disorder
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder
- Panic attacks
- Paranoid personality disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship problems
- Schizoid personality disorder
- Schizotypal personality disorder
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Sex addiction
- Sex problems
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
- Cognitive and behavioural therapies
- Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT)
- Couples counselling
- Existential therapy
- Gestalt therapy
Woking - Fees for individual Counselling:
Weekday Daytime Sessions (until 5.00 pm)
Initial Consultation - £40.00
Each 50 minute session thereafter - £50.00
Evening Sessions (from 5.00pm) & Weekends
Initial Consultation - £45.00
Each 50 minute session thereafter - £55.00
Woking - Fees for Couples Counselling:
Weekday Daytime Sessions (until 5.00 pm)
Initial Consultation - £50.00
Each 50 minute session thereafter - £60.00
Evening Sessions (from 5.00 pm) & Weekends
Initial Consultation - £55.00
Each 50 minute session thereafter £65.00
Basingstoke Clinic Fees
Initial Consultation - £60.00
Each 50 minute session thereafter - £70.00
£45.00 per 1 hour session, pro rata'd for longer sessions
I offer concessions to students and people on a low income.
Prior to my career in therapeutic counselling, I worked in employment services within corporate environments for 18 years, where I provided support, guidance and counselling for career and work related issues.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Tuesdays & Wednesdays 1:00pm to 10:00pm
Saturdays 9:00am to 2:00pm
Thursdays 3:00pm to 8:00pm
Skype & Telephone Sessions
Monday - Friday from 10:00am to 10:00pm
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|