An article designed to help you identify if counselling would benefit your life
What are the valid reasons why people seek the help of a counsellor?
Counselling can help with all sorts of different issues, not all reasons though are so cut and dried.
Counselling can help with positive events such as choosing a direction in life when you may have felt 'a bit stuck' for a while.
You may be going through many changes and need to talk to someone objective so you can make sense of what is going on in your life.
You may be going through significant events in your life such as:
- Getting married.
- Getting divorced.
- Starting a family.
- Leaving home for the first time.
- Death of a loved one.
How would you know the right time to seek counselling?
You may be experiencing some of the following:
- Feeling sad all the time.
- Feeling angry all the time.
- A disinterest in life and the activities you once enjoyed.
- Relationship breakdown/death of a loved one.
- Abusing drugs/alcohol/food/sex/gambling/compulsive shopping or any other sort of addiction.
- Loss of a job.
- Experience of abuse either physical, mental or emotional.
- Experienced an accident, personal attack or natural disaster.
There can be other reasons:
- State of overwhelm.
- You may have run out of ways of coping with life.
- Counselling is helpful for stress and anxiety.
- Are you making choices that are self-defeating?
- Emotions out of control.
- You are leading a life which is not right for you.
- You just really need to feel listened to.
- You crave a new perspective.
- You want to understand yourself more.
- You need to work on your self-esteem.
- Your relationships could be a lot better.
- Prone to low moods.
- You are ready to take 100% responsibility for your life.
To conclude, there are many reasons for seeking therapy. If you are not feeling at peace with your life in some way this could be a good indicator that counselling would benefit your life. If any of the points are ones you can relate to then now is the right time to work with a counsellor.
Counselling Directory is not responsible for the articles published by members. The views expressed are those of the member who wrote the article.
About Stephanie Walker
Stephanie Walker, graduate diploma in Integrative Counselling (MBACP). I have worked in many different counselling settings and I have a diverse background working with adults. Experience working with low confidence/self esteem.
Stress and Anxiety.
Bereavement… Read more
Located in Huddersfield.
To book an appointment, please get in contact: