Marilyn Soghomonian BA(Hons), MBACP, DHP, MAPHP(Acc)
PROFESSIONAL, COMPASSIONATE & CONFIDENTIAL THERAPY
I'm a registered member of BACP and offer Counselling, Psychotherapy and Hypnotherapy in Reading, Berkshire and the surrounding areas.
I SPECIALISE IN: Eating Disorder Counselling, Weight Management, Self-Esteem & Confidence, Anxiety & Body Image Issues.
We all experience stresses and pressures in the course of our day to day lives, and most of the time we tend to find ways to cope and get through our difficulties on our own. However, there are times when personal crisis strikes, when troubles become too overwhelming, or fears and anxieties become paralysing. These are times when life and emotions become too difficult to deal with alone, but sharing worries and fears with friends and family become equally impossible. At such times talking to a professionally trained therapist can be most supportive and beneficial.
If you are feeling distressed, depressed, anxious, afraid or simply unhappy with your life, then I provide a safe, non-judgemental, and private space for you to talk through your problems, without being judged, allowing you to explore your thoughts, feelings, relationships, and patterns of behaviour. The care of my clients is of paramount importance to me and I offer a warm, gentle and yet powerful approach to therapy in a comfortable, caring and confidential environment.
HOW CAN COUNSELLING HELP YOU?
Counselling can help you to:
- Reduce your stress and anxiety
- Increase your energy and vitality
- Increase your self-esteem and confidence
- Identify the out-of-control feelings that are characteristic of Eating Disorders
- Address your fears and phobias e.g. fear of flying, exam nerves, public speaking/giving presentations
- Relax and improve your sleep
- Develop deeper and more rewarding relationships
- Deal with Grief & Loss
- Gain control of your life
- Improve your communication skills
- Develop problem solving skills
- Work through negative emotions
- Create the career path you really want
- Maximize your potential and achieve your goals
- Break habits and change negative behaviour patterns e.g. nail biting, teeth grinding, obsessive behaviours, smoking
Together we can work on uncovering the barriers to accomplishing what you really want and how you want to be. When you become aware of how your patterns of thoughts, behaviours and emotions are keeping you stuck in your life, you become increasingly aware of how to change them and discover the best way to move forward. Together we can explore and identify the real underlying cause of your current issues or difficulties so that you can release and let go of your negative thoughts, emotions and behaviours.
Although I have specialist training in Eating Disorders, I’m also experienced in treating a variety of issues including anxiety and panic attacks, stress related issues, low self-esteem and confidence, depression, fears and phobias, grief/loss and bereavement, insomnia, and trauma, abuse and PTSD. Please visit my website www.quantumleaptherapy.com (see link above) for a full list of treatments and if you’d like to discuss any particular concern, that isn’t listed there, then please feel free to call or email me, (using the contact details above), to discuss your individual needs.
MY THERAPEUTIC APPROACH
My training is integrative, which means that I work predominantly with a person-centred (working with the here and now) and psychodynamic (working with issues from the past) approaches to counselling and hypnotherapy. I also work with a solution focused approach and brief therapy using CBT (Cognitive Behavioural Therapy), NLP (Neuro-LInguistic Programming) and Coaching (goal setting and achievement).
However, research shows that the most important element in effective therapy is the relationship between therapist and client. Therefore, I offer you a warm, safe, compassionate and non-judgemental environment which allows you to gain trust in me as your therapist and the therapeutic process. I work closely with you offering you my empathy, understanding, and acceptance which in turn create the conditions for personal growth. At times, in the safety of the therapy room, I may also present you with challenging questions so that you can explore, identify and release any emotional ties that may be linked to your past which may be holding you back. I respect your autonomy at all times and work at your own pace. I would never give you advice or lead you where you don’t want to go. You set the agenda and my role is to facilitate the changes that you want to make.
Therapy sessions are tailored specifically for your individual needs and are conducted in a highly professional & ethical manner. You will receive the support you need to help you work through any emotional or psychological difficulties you may be experiencing.
I offer both short-term and long-term, open ended, counselling depending on the severity and complexity of the problem.
WHAT TO EXPECT AT YOUR FIRST SESSION
Whether it’s your first time seeing a therapist or just your first time meeting with me, I will do my best to make you feel comfortable and safe. The initial consultation will give us the opportunity to discuss your current difficulties and goals for therapy, for me to answer any questions you may have, and to see whether we can work together.
Should you decide to continue with individual therapy we would, ideally, meet on a weekly basis. Sessions are 50 minutes long and the fee for Hypnotherapy and Eating Disorder Counselling is £65 per session and the fee for Counselling/Psychotherapy is £50. I will be able to give you a better idea of how many sessions you might need after the consultation.
Your first face to face appointment will be an indepth assessment of your current issues, lifestyle, and medical history.
Once you commit to a course of individual therapy and before our work begins you will be asked to read and sign an Agreement Form which includes the terms and conditions of our therapeutic work.
Training, qualifications & experience
- Diploma Therapeutic Counselling (Integrative) – CPCAB
- Diploma in Clinical Hypnosis and Hypnotherapy – Royal Berkshire College of Clinical Hypnosis (RBCCH)
- Diploma Master Practitioner Eating Disorders & Obesity (Accredited by the British Psychological Society) – National Centre for Eating Disorders (NCfED)
- Certificate in Nutritional Skills for Eating Disorders – National Centre for Eating Disorders (NCfED)
- Certificate Practitioner Skills in Obesity Management – National Centre for Eating Disorders (NCfED)
- Working Successfully with Addiction And Recovery – Pamela Gawler-Wright at Beeleaf Institute for Contemporary Psychotherapy (35 hour training)
- Working with Survivors of Sexual Violence & Abuse – Trust House Reading, Volunteer Training Programme (4 day training)
- Certificate Ericksonian Hypnosis – Think Big Education
- Master Practitioner of Neuro Linguistic Programming (NLP)
- Practitioner Diploma in the Art and Science of Neuro Linguistic Programming & Clean Language – NLP Northeast
- EFT Practitioner Certificate (Level 2) – EFT for Eating Disorders & Addictions – Masha Bennet Certified by the AAMET
- Diploma Personal & Professional Coach – The Coaching Academy (Accredited)
- BA(Hons) Degree in English and American Literature – University of Kent at Canterbury, UK
In Private Practice since 2008.
Worked as a Volunteer Counsellor at Berkshire NHS Eating Disorders Service at Erleigh Road, Reading, Berkshire, from 2014 to 2016.
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Eating disorders
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Panic disorder
Photos & videos
FREE INITIAL CONSULTATION (30 minutes)
Fees for Subsequent Sessions (50 minutes):
- Therapeutic Counselling & Psychotherapy £50 to £65
- Eating Disorders Counselling £65
- Hypnotherapy, NLP & EFT £65
Limited Concessions available based on individual circumstances. Please ask for details.
It's important for you to feel safe and comfortable to work with your therapist. Therefore, I offer a free initial consultation which gives you the opportunity to get to know me, ask any questions you may have, and for me to assess how I might be able to help you.
- Also registered with Hypnotherapy Directory
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Monday to Friday 9:30am to 6:00pm /Thursday Evenings 6:00pm to 8:00pm / Saturday 10:00am to 5:00pm
Types of client