Kathryn Lock, MBACP, Postgraduate Diploma in Therapeutic Counselling
I am a compassionate and caring counsellor. I'am professional and ethically minded. I provide comprehensive therapeutic support to both adults and young people. I am based in the Cardiff area and can provide a safe and confidential environment.
People come to counselling for many different reasons. Counselling can provide you with a space to talk to someone without judgment. There is no one way of being in counselling, you just bring yourself as you are. What I bring, is genuineness and a space to meet; along with the experience of supporting others through counselling. Hopefully, you will feel safe to talk about the difficulties you're experiencing. Sometimes talking about things can be painful, but it can also provide relief and a time to recover.
Some people come to counselling with a focus in mind, wanting to address a specific difficulty such as depression, anxiety or stress. Other people may explore difficulties within their current circumstances; relationships, family, self esteem or issues relating to their past and their childhood.
No matter what the difficulty, I will listen to you at your own pace. There's no pressure, no set amount of sessions, for some people 'one session' can make all the difference for others something more long term could help. Whatever the difficulty, please feel free to contact me.
Training, qualifications & experience
- Postgraduate Diploma in Therapeutic Counselling (Integrative) Humanistic, Relational Psychodynamic and Cognitive Behavioural Therapy.
- Postgraduate Certificate in Counselling
- Postgraduate Certificate in Therapeutic Play and Playwork (children)
- City and Guilds 331 - Family and Community Care
- VTCT Holistic and Complementary Therapies
- Registered BACP member
- I am currently studying a PGCE
The British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy (BACP) is a professional body and a registered charity that sets standards for therapeutic practice and provides information for therapists, clients of therapy, and the public.
I undertook a number of training placements within both a statutory and voluntary agency. This included gaining knowledge of domestic violence, working within the LGBTQA+ community and working with students within the higher education. I have worked in the social care field for twenty years predominantly with children, young people/ families - often in disability services. I have additional experience of school based counselling and supporting children in both primary and secondary education.
I am currently employed as a senior wellbeing practitioner/counsellor within a university setting and the NHS. I facilitate workshops on Mindfulness, Managing Stress and Resilience.
Continuous Professional Practice 2016:
- Prevent training
- Emotional Resilience
- Sexual Abuse and sexual exploitation
- Domestic Abuse within the LGBTQA + Community
- Safeguarding children and young people
- All Wales Safeguarding Adults training
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Anger management
- Asperger's syndrome
- Attachment disorder
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Domestic violence
- Drug abuse
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Gender dysphoria
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- £25.00 assessment (50mins)
- £40 per (50min) session there after
- Concessions are available to students and individuals on low income. Experience in supporting trainee student counsellors.
Please let me know of any additional requirements you may have with regards to accessing a venue.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Weekdays, evening and weekends.
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|