- About us
When you are going through a difficult time, it can be very easy to keep your worries to yourself and believe that you are the only one experiencing such painful feelings. While we all have our own ways of coping, information and support can make a huge difference.
Counselling Directory was set up by a team who know how difficult it can be to find the support and information you need. Being a team who between us have experienced various mental health issues, we know how it feels to be overwhelmed, isolated and somewhat lost.
Through our own experiences, we have learnt how important having relevant information is and how the right support can help transform lives.
Our journey inspired us to share what we have learnt along the way with others. Our team is passionate about counselling and we want to promote the huge benefits talking therapy can have. We know how important it is to find the right counsellor for you and we are dedicated to making that process as simple as possible.
We launched Counselling Directory in 2005 and continue to work closely with counsellors, psychotherapists and our visitors, to ensure we provide you with the very best service. We have over 10,000 qualified counsellors listed with us, so we are sure the right person is waiting to hear from you.
If you are not quite ready to contact a counsellor just yet, that’s OK. Be kind to yourself and trust that when you are ready, we will be here for you. In the meantime, knowledge is power. We are passionate about providing the latest information on everything mental health related so please, read as much as possible if that is what feels right for you.
Wherever you are on your journey, know that change is possible. Happiness and well-being are possible. We know this from personal experience and from the experiences our visitors have shared with us. Everyone deserves happiness and this is what we wish for you.
Why choose us?
Counselling has come a long way and while there is still much to be done in stamping out the stigma of mental illness, more individuals are beginning to feel comfortable and confident enough to speak out and seek help.
We understand that these first steps take an enormous amount of courage and taking the time to do the research, find a qualified counsellor and make contact can be extremely daunting – especially if you don’t know where to look, or what it is you are looking for.
We hope we can be the hand to take you through these first steps and reassure you that you are not alone. To get you started, we have included everything we wish we’d had access to in our times of need, including:
- A nationwide database of qualified counsellors and psychotherapists.
- A Counselling Directory policy. This means all professionals are checked to ensure they provide evidence of qualifications or membership with a professional body before they can be listed with us, so you can be sure of contacting a credible professional.
- A detailed library of fact-sheets featuring useful information about how counselling might be able to help with what’s worrying you.
- A Types of therapy and FAQs section that look to answer any questions you may have. It also aims to explain the different forms of therapy that are used by practitioners and how they can help.
- Member profiles – our members pack their profiles full of information including background, fees and even availability - helping you learn more about them before making contact.
- An advanced search tool, which allows you to filter your search according to your needs and location.
- A Facts & Figures section, which shows how common mental health issues are. You are definitely not alone - did you know one in four people will experience a mental health condition during their lifetime?
Get in touch
Ultimately, Counselling Directory wouldn’t exist without you, the individuals seeking help and happiness, and the practitioners who share our dream of helping others. It is because of you that we feel it is so important to keep listening and acting upon the feedback we receive
If you have something to say about the site, a suggestion to make or an experience to share – please don’t hesitate to get in touch with us. We would love to hear from you.
If you have any queries about how to use the website, please visit our Not sure where to start? section. If you would still like some guidance, fill out our contact form and a member of the Counselling Directory team will get back to you as soon as possible.