Use of the body in psychotherapy
When words aren’t enough, what other language is useful in the therapeutic process?
This is a one day workshop brought to you by Nottingham Counsellors Group, a not for profit group. Our trainer for the day is Eugene McHugh, a Humanistic and Integrative Psychotherapist, Clinical Supervisor and Lecturer in the Stress Response on the honours degree in Counselling and Psychotherapy at Dublin Business School.
During this one-day workshop, Eugene will be showing us how to use body psychotherapy when working with clients, especially in relation to stress and anxiety. It also gives you the opportunity to learn more about your own stress response and anxiety, helping you with your self-care.
We will be looking at the following topics:
- How well do you know your own body?
- What are the hidden memories held in the sensations of the body?
- What these felt senses can bring to the conscious world to assist in healing for the client and therapist
- How the nervous system assists in survival process for the person
- How to differentiate anxiety from the stress response, to assist the client in their self-awareness
- What happens in the body when we feel threatened or unable to cope?
- How the body can help in building a hypothesis to assist in supporting the client.
- How these defence/coping mechanisms present. Is it resistance or protection?
- What way will these defence/coping mechanisms come across in transference and counter-transference?
Throughout the day, you can expect lots of opportunities for discussion and experiential exercises to try out the theory.
Lunch is included. Please bring your own yoga mat.
To book onto this event, please email Nottingham.firstname.lastname@example.org
About Sarah Taylor
Sarah works in private practice in Nottingham city centre. From 2014 to 2018 she set up and facilitated the BACP Network Group and enjoyed being part of a community consisting of trainee and qualified Therapists. Sarah is also an active member of Nottingham Counsellors Group whose aim is to provide not for profit training in the Nottingham area.