Introduction to counselling
Book your place here.
Basingstoke Counselling Service, based in North Hampshire, offers a Level 1 introduction to counselling course twice per year. These take place each spring and autumn.
What does the course cover?
This course has multiple aspects to it, including:
- to provide an understanding of what counselling is and its origins
- to provide a safe environment for self-exploration and reflection
- to develop listening and communication skills
- to establish some basic counselling skills
- to demonstrate how counselling skills can be usefully applied to personal and professional relationships.
Is this course for me?
People’s motivations for undertaking this course vary, such as:
- thinking about a career in counselling and psychotherapy but wanting to know more before committing to a full training
- wanting to gain greater self-awareness and understanding of themselves
- looking to develop their helping skills in a professional or voluntary role
- interested in knowing more about the origins and types of counselling
- wanting to develop skills for self-reflection
- hoping to gain more understanding of their professional and personal relationships
- wishing to take the first step recommended by the British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP) in a progressive training journey as a counsellor
- wishing to support those close to them
If any of these reasons resonate with you, please see below to find out more and how to apply.
Completion of an introduction to counselling course prior to applying for the Certificate in Counselling Skills and Theory is recommended but not essential.
The course is open to everybody and no formal qualifications are required.
This is a 10-week course comprising one three-hour session per week.
All sessions in the autumn term take place online on a Monday evening online over Zoom from 6.30 pm-9.30 pm.
Course Leader and Teaching Methods
The course is led by an experienced Counsellor and Trainer who adheres to the BACP Ethical Framework for the Counselling Professions. Teaching is through presentations, group exercises, role-play, and group discussions.
Book your place here.
BCS is a busy, vibrant counselling and training organisation at the heart of the community. We have over 20 years’ experience in providing highly respected, comprehensive counselling training in the psychodynamic discipline. Our courses are widely recognised and held in high regard within the counselling profession.