HIV and AIDS awareness workshop
HIV and AIDS awareness workshop and networking afternoon in partnership with Croydon Commitment
Anyone can be affected by HIV and AIDS and we are in a time where the virus can be managed with medication meaning those with HIV can live a full and healthy life. Life expectancy of people with HIV is comparable to those who don’t have HIV. Despite this, it can be something many people don’t fully understand. It is estimated there are more than 88000 people living in the UK with HIV (as of 2017) yet there are many stigmas still attached to the virus.
On Thursday 21st February New Horizon Counselling will be facilitating a workshop focused on HIV and AIDS awareness.
This workshop will be for professionals looking for continuing professional development workshops and individuals that are looking to broaden their knowledge on HIV and AIDS, the workshop will include some interactive work, discussions and cover the below topics. At the end of the workshop there will be the opportunity for networking and nibbles.
What will be covered:
- What is HIV?
- What is AIDS?
- History of HIV and AIDS
- Transmission of HIV - how does HIV affect the body?
- Stigmas related to the virus in minority groups - Gay & bisexual community and men who have sex with men (GBMSM) and Black / Black African community.
- Treatment options PrEP and PEP medications
- Mental health implications of a HIV diagnoses.
Cost per ticket - £25.
- Your ticket entitles you access to the HIV and AIDS awareness workshop
- Information and resources pack
- Complimentary refreshments and networking at the end of the workshop
- Certificate of attendance for a record of CPD.
The red ribbon - http://www.worldaidsday.org/the-red-ribbon/
Date: Thursday 21st February 2019
Time: 17.30 – 19.30
19.30 - 20.30: Optional networking and discussion
Location: Croydon Commitment HQ, Mott MacDonald House, 8-10 Sydenham Rd, Croydon, CR0 2EE
About Thomas Smithson
The workshops we provide are a collection of information we have learnt through research, education, clinical experience and through life experience. We have an easy-going approach to the workshops and although they are professional and informative we hope you will enjoy the relaxed learning experience.